What are some tweaks you've been curious about? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are some tweaks you've been curious about?

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Shakti Stone

I've been curious about that, but dont think I'll buy something like that anytime soon.

What are some of yours?

JRA

Mr Peabody
12-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm curious about most of them. I'd like to go the other way and see which ones can anyone say worked for them. Go out some place like Musicdirect and they have all kinds of tweaks from cable elevators to all kinds of isolation feet and platforms, a variety of mats. A lot of it is pretty expensive too. I took a chance once and bought some Zerodust at $70.00. I have been happy with it. I didn't trust myself to use a brush on an expensive phono cart.

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Zerodust at $70.00. I have been happy with it. I didn't trust myself to use a brush on an expensive phono cart.
That is probably the most reasonable tweaks I've seen. It is scary for me to run a brush over my stylus. Who knows, maybe I'm killing my fragile stylus everytime.
What about those cable lifters made by Cardas. They make them out of Myrtle tree that only grows in the state Oregan...... The way I see it, it's not stupid. It just pisses me off.
But hey, whatta hell do I know about the Golden Ratio...
I am curious about people who actually use them.

Song playing: What They Do on Illadelphia HalfLife
JRA

tin ear
12-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I guess this is more of a mod than a tweak.

I probably haven't had my Dynaco ST70 a month yet, but today I am starting assembly of a SDS Labs capacitor board for it. It may be because I'm not really an electronics nerd, but the instructions that came with the board seem a bit terse. So this may take a while, making sure I do everything right. :idea:

After that, I also bought an upgrade driver board kit for the amp, which I need to assemble & shop for tubes for.

Fun stuff. Hope I don't blow my amplifier up. :yikes:

Mr Peabody
12-02-2006, 02:45 PM
TinEar have you ever seen those rings that go between the tube and the socket? They sell them at Musicdirect and are supposed to some how give better isolation and make your equipment sound better. This is one of the many tweaks that I wonder if they do any good.

tin ear
12-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi, Mr. Peabody - I haven't seen them nor could I find them at MD. I googled tube damper, which is what I guess you'd call those, and found lots of them. Some looked more practical than others. For instance the DIY tnt k-sox (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ksox_e.html) looks like it would damp vibration AND destroy your tubes at the same time -- from overheating. But I'm no expert. The ones that don't trap heat in the tube seem to me like they'd do some good. Cut down on microphonics.

tin ear
12-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I guess this is more of a mod than a tweak.

I probably haven't had my Dynaco ST70 a month yet, but today I am starting assembly of a SDS Labs capacitor board for it. It may be because I'm not really an electronics nerd, but the instructions that came with the board seem a bit terse. So this may take a while, making sure I do everything right.
MEMO TO SELF:
Before buying, much less assembling, mods for a piece of used equipment, first open up said used equipment to see if it has already been modded.

:idea:

JoeE SP9
12-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Most of those tube sox devices should only be used on small signal tube 12XXXX etc. There are only a few that can be used on output tubes. Be careful good EL34's ain't cheap! Good tubes are an investment you might want to consider once you've done all your mods.:idea:

jrhymeammo
12-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure what Mr. Peabody is talking about, but preamp tube dampers have been on my mind for a long time. Tube dampers might be okay to use on power tubes, but I would be afraid to use tube sox. I swear if my heater goes out, I'll be sleeping in front of my tube integrated at nights.

Is this what you are talking about Mr. Pea?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ksox_e.html

or more like these?

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/

JRA

RoyY51
12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Here's another "Shakti" item that has me truly puzzled. "The Absolute Sound", a publication that I have always respected, has included the Shakti Hallographs in their list of 2006 Editors' Choice Awards. According to Jonathan Valin, their executive editor, "these large, rotatable, free-standing, tuning-fork-shaped items work some kind of voodoo when placed in the corners of a room (behind the speakers), masking chaotic wall reflections and "clarifying" the soundfield..." How can something shaped like a tuning fork do that? Doesn't it take mass and/or absorbent material to have that kind of effect? Do they circumvent the laws of physics? Inquiring minds want to know.

If anyone has any further knowledge of these apparently miraculous products, please feel free to weigh in.

jrhymeammo
12-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I dont know anything about that product you mentioned, but I'm assuming that it acts as a sound diffusor, then it would be totally different from sound absorbing products. But......

jrhymeammo
01-04-2007, 02:24 AM
I chance once and bought some Zerodust at $70.00. I have been happy with it. I didn't trust myself to use a brush on an expensive phono cart.

Thanks Mr. P. I finally got it, and it works really, really good. I took an advice from Hifi Tommy and used a piece of Magic Eraser. It worked really well, but had me sweating everytime. Too bad you paid $70 for it(I paid less than $17:)), but at least it'll last forever.

J-Murda

JRA

SlumpBuster
01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I paid less than $17

Where?!? Do share!

jrhymeammo
01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I bought it in Japan. Retail price was 2000 yen, but I bought it for a 1870. At 120/USD, I guess it was $15.58. Int'l trade will get you everytime. The importer is making a KILLING!! I should've bought a bunch for my friends here at AR, but....

I think a guy at Agon sells them for $39. I think that's as good as it gets. Sorry Slump.

J-Murda

SlumpBuster
01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Japan, huh? Whoa! Look out! J-Murda's bigstuffin' it! Spread out everyone, big stuff comin' thru!:ihih:

Sorry, just kidding. I'm in one of those moods.

Yeah, I saw that Agon listing. Japan - home of $15 Zerodust and $150 watermelon.

ericl
01-04-2007, 04:44 PM
My favorite and most effective tweaks are a nice belgian ale or some fine scotch.

jrhymeammo
01-04-2007, 05:53 PM
My favorite and most effective tweaks are a nice belgian ale or some fine scotch.
Kinda like acoustic treatment in a way. If you use too much, it'll kill the sound.

btw, I just realized that your avatar isnt from the movie Gummo.
J-Murda

Mr Peabody
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
That's quite a savings. It would be interesting to see how much a decen HDTV would cost in Japan, or a variety of items. Maybe we should set up a barter link with Japan, trade some melon for electronics.

Fergymunster
01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Lifesavers under the feet of my CD player.total cost $0.49 cents at the local Wawa.On a serious note vibrapods are the real deal.Been around a long time and still a a number one seller.

jrhymeammo
01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Lifesavers under the feet of my CD player.total cost $0.49 cents at the local Wawa.On a serious note vibrapods are the real deal.Been around a long time and still a a number one seller.
Cones do work remarkably well. I've been happy with adjustable cones under my TT, but I think I would be moving on to something a bit different.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/images/THFboth.jpg

Instead of just placing cones under my TT, I think 4 of these would work even better. The idea is to increase the overall weight on my deck by around 8 lbs. I would love to play with a new turner, but not quite done with mine yet.:cornut:

Fergymunster
01-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Cones do work remarkably well. I've been happy with adjustable cones under my TT, but I think I would be moving on to something a bit different.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/images/THFboth.jpg

Instead of just placing cones under my TT, I think 4 of these would work even better. The idea is to increase the overall weight on my deck by around 8 lbs. I would love to play with a new turner, but not quite done with mine yet.:cornut:
The reason I'm happy with the vibrapods is that they fit perfectly under the feet of my CD player and I very noticable improvement as well.Look at www.musicdirect.com and see all the vibration devices they have there.It's startling.

jrhymeammo
01-11-2007, 12:33 PM
The reason I'm happy with the vibrapods is that they fit perfectly under the feet of my CD player and I very noticable improvement as well.Look at www.musicdirect.com (http://www.musicdirect.com) and see all the vibration devices they have there.It's startling.
Thanks Fergy,

I'm always thinking of new ways to improve isolation and vib tweaks. One thing that I've found in my system/environment is that springy devices do not work. If anything, it makes it worst. I think rubbery/elastic materials just trap vibration. I understand that vibracones are pretty solid, right? So they look pretty good, but the pads will not work in my system. Of course I havent tried them yet. For me, getting those brass footers will work as good as placing a bag of sand on the top of my dustcover, and look better doing it. For $160 it better work better, but money dont mean sh*t alot of times.

Thanks for the musicdirect info. I do look at that site from time to time, espcially their tweaks. I just ordered a SACD, 200g LP, and the Sound Improvement Disc. device on sunday so I cant wait. I will let my ears decide if SID. is worth $40.

Fergymunster
01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks Fergy,

I'm always thinking of new ways to improve isolation and vib tweaks. One thing that I've found in my system/environment is that springy devices do not work. If anything, it makes it worst. I think rubbery/elastic materials just trap vibration. I understand that vibracones are pretty solid, right? So they look pretty good, but the pads will not work in my system. Of course I havent tried them yet. For me, getting those brass footers will work as good as placing a bag of sand on the top of my dustcover, and look better doing it. For $160 it better work better, but money dont mean sh*t alot of times.

Thanks for the musicdirect info. I do look at that site from time to time, espcially their tweaks. I just ordered a SACD, 200g LP, and the Sound Improvement Disc. device on sunday so I cant wait. I will let my ears decide if SID. is worth $40.
I agree that if you use the vibrapods the wrong way it could easily degraded the sound so the vibrapods are not the end all in vibration control.I do have some vibracones laying around but there of no use since my CD player has a grill surface underneath it.Hope those brass footers work out.Good luck

Mr Peabody
01-11-2007, 07:02 PM
My listening room is a concrete floor with carpet, my speakers have spikes, my equipment is in a large oak entertainmet center, do you think vibration/isolation tweaks would do anything for me? If so, where do the vibrations come from?

jrhymeammo
01-12-2007, 09:35 PM
My listening room is a concrete floor with carpet, my speakers have spikes, my equipment is in a large oak entertainmet center, do you think vibration/isolation tweaks would do anything for me? If so, where do the vibrations come from?

I'm still not sure if this is a serious post but whatta heck. Here goes...

YES. But I was under the impression that you are totally content with your system, so I wouldnt worry too much. Also, is it possible to have a room that is 100% free from external vibration? If you source players(especially your TT) are close to large woofers, then I think brass cones/footer will enhance your sound. But as far as internal vib/noise goes, whatchu think?

Mr Peabody
01-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm serious, this is not an area I have paid any attention to. I am happy with my system but that doesn't mean it can't improve.

It would seem a manufacturer would use decent enough isolation to prevent internal vibrations and if not how would outside tweaks like feet help. Dynaudio uses excellent internal bracing, you can put your hand on the cabinet and not feel the music. The spikes would further isolate. I guess maybe if I can feel music at certain levels, then that would also put vibs into other places. But again, those types of vibs that would travel through the air,I don't see how cones would help. It seems to me that cones would only help if you felt vibs in your shelf.

Unfortunately, no shops carry these types of things to try.

jrhymeammo
01-12-2007, 10:52 PM
The way I feel, it is much more effective to tame external vibration that travels into a source player and a valve gear than trying to control internal vibration that is created by a gear on its own. If a player is the case, then it should be time for a new one instead of trying to compensate it. If your entertainment center is rigid enough to go thru an earthquake, then I'm not sure how much you will benefit from it. In my not so perfect enviornment, brass cones work really well.
I'm not sure how well 4 footers will work for me, but I'm willing to try it out once I findout where I will be relocating. I can't convince you that cones will work in your environment. But if I was to try it out in your system, TT would be the first.

How about your sub, doesnt that create some unwanted energy?

Mr Peabody
01-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't use my sub for music.

I think if I was going to try something under my TT it would be one of the isolation platforms. It's like a sandwich with the isolation gismos in the middle.

Do the cones replace the feet or you just sit the unit on the cones?

jrhymeammo
01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't use my sub for music.

I think if I was going to try something under my TT it would be one of the isolation platforms. It's like a sandwich with the isolation gismos in the middle.

Do the cones replace the feet or you just sit the unit on the cones?

Adjustable cones I use replace the original feet on my deck. But to insure more rigidity, I'm looking to get those threaded footers made by the Mapleshade. If I had the guts to drill 3 brand new holes on the bottom of my deck I would. But if it cracks:eek: I also like the idea of bring the weight from 17 to 25lbs. Do you not want to shop online?

Mr Peabody
01-14-2007, 08:47 AM
I do some on line shopping and that's what I will have to do when I get froggy. Musicdirect offers a 30 return, so I may have to try some of these hings in the future.

Remember when the rage was suspending your turntable from the ceiling?

jrhymeammo
01-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Remember when the rage was suspending your turntable from the ceiling?

If I didnt have a dog, I just might do it. :ciappa:

basite
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
how about mounting tt's on walls, like me, it sure helped to get rid of the rumbling...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

squeegy200
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
The Mr Magic Eraser is an awesome tweek for turntable fanatics. Cleans the needle better than some audio specific needle cleaners and treatments but costs around $3.

Some of these lead isolator items are awefully expensive too. You can just go to a home improvement store and purchase cement tamp weights. They are made from pure lead and cost around $10 each. Place them anywhere the expensive isolation stones are recommended. They also work well on top of CD players and power supplies. Audible improvement?--Up to you to decide but for $10 its worth a try.

PeruvianSkies
01-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I am beginning to wonder if I should invest in the cable elevators simply because I can tell that I am getting some slight interference in my line, which seems to be increased during this season with (and this is just a guess) more static in the air. I have tried to isolate the problem with some of the noise that is coming through and I have narrowed it down to interference coming through the cables being on the floor or near outlets or power cables, which makes me think that elevating them off the floor and further keeping them from one another would be best. I've tried some DIY things around the house to do the trick, but maybe the real stuff would work even better and probably look better too!