VR-1 question... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : VR-1 question...

Rock789
12-01-2006, 09:45 AM
a year or so ago, I aduitioned some Von Schweikert VR-1's while looking for a bedroom system...
I listened to classical music at the time, and they sounded great... (did not try any other music)

a month or two ago, I purchased a pair of "B-Stock" for a lot less than retail... I thought it was a great deal...

I have found, these speakers, just like a year or so ago, sound great with classical, but if I play rock, they don't sound so good...

my system...
Pioneer CD Changer - Transport
Denon DA500 - DAC
B&K PT3 s2 - PreAmp
Anthem PVA 2 - Amp

Speakers are ~ 5 feet apart, ~ 1 foot from wall on a dresser centered on the long wall of a 16x12 foot room...

I typically do not adjust the preamp bass/trebble settings, but I found for rock music, if I hit the "loud" button on the preamp (yes it has a loud button), it sounds much better (both highs and bass sound better), although still not as good as say, my jm labs...
with classical music, it sounds good without any adjustments...

do you have any advice for me to try, or is this just a down side of the VR-1's?

thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions...

topspeed
12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Interesting. I have my VR1's in my bedroom as well, which is actually a bit bigger than yours. Driven by a vintage Marantz 2230, their dynamic envelope exceeds both my B&W CDM1NT's and the JML 706S's I compared them to in the same rig. IOW, they rocked harder.

My guess is the dresser is negating any room reinforcement the VR1's might benefit from. Have you tried placing them on stands on either side of the dresser? I've got mine sitting on mass loaded Skylan stands on either side of our armoire on the short wall and have more bass than I could possible ask for. Honestly, I've never even considered adding a sub. Adjusting your speaker placement can have a huge effect on sound quality.

As for the "loudness" button, if it sounds better to you that way, listen to it that way. I know, I know. The "purist" in you says that's sacrilege. I say ignore the purist and listen to music however you most enjoy it. After all, that button was put their by the designers for this very reason; to counteract room interaction problems.

Enjoy the music. After all, isn't that why we're here?

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
I got rid of my B&W for a similar reason. Classical and Jazz sounded great, but on other types of music it was something I really didnt care for. Ideally, I would like to have about 4 different setups for different needs. Or maybe spending them all in one system would do it.....

song playing....Places I've Been - Killah Priest

Rock789
12-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I am sure the speaker placement would help with the problem...
and also, if it sounds better with loud, use loud... good point ;o)
fyi, with loud on, I do not need a sub, it has plenty of bass,
and as for the comparrison, it was to my 716S, which I am sure are placed a lot better than the VR-1's (in the living room)...

thanks for the assistance topspeed :)

Rock789
12-01-2006, 12:30 PM
jrhymeammo, did you attempt different placements or stands? if so did anything improve the sound at all?

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Yes, I was consistantly moving my speakers, and trying different arrangements. At the end, I just didnt like their sound charateristcs for certain music I like to play.