Re-foam vs Advents on DQ-10s [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Re-foam vs Advents on DQ-10s

gtkwml
11-30-2006, 09:49 AM
The foam on my ancient Dahlquist DQ-10s is shot. Should I go the expensive route of re-foaming/rebuilding, or go with replacement with newly re-foamed Large Advent 10-inch that I can pick up at a good price? Aren't they about the same?? Thanks!

basite
11-30-2006, 12:19 PM
erm, IMHO, just refoam it, they say it's hard, but you'll get alot of benefit out of it, replacing drivers is a risico, when something differs from your original driver, the sound won't be the same.

Dusty Chalk
11-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Should I go the expensive route of re-foaming/rebuilding, or go with replacement with newly re-foamed Large Advent 10-inch that I can pick up at a good price? I suspect refoaming will be cheaper than new speakers.

phillyguy
11-30-2006, 04:36 PM
basite is right about swapping out the woofer. You will end up with a Dahlvent. As for the refoam, it is just a bit scary, not hard. You may be able to find a local repair shop that will do it for you. After doing an old set of Mission 707's and an Infinity sub, I won't pay for a refoam. If you are handy, you can do it. For more info see my response here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20483

phillyguy

squeegy200
11-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I once refoamed a pair of Bose 901s for a friend. (18 drivers in all!) Never again

I owned a pair of DQ10s and the previous owner refoamed. It was an aweful execution of the job.

There are differences between the Dahlquist woofers and the Advent woofers. Regnar does refoaming but also rewinds the voicecoils back to original factory spec.

I see refoaming kits on eBay all the time. SO if you are careful and patient, it may be worth the expense.