The joys of being a graduate student. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The joys of being a graduate student.

emorphien
11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
First... going to a high end audio store and listening to $7k+ home theater systems and having my parents say "while we can afford it no problem, we just can't hear the difference to justify it." I offered to give them my existing system in exchange for said $7k+ system, it didn't work :(

Second... living in apartments. I never much like to turn my music and movies up too loud too often so I don't bother neighbors, and I make a point to have my subwoofer placed so I don't have to have it turned up too much. But others aren't so aware of what a poorly placed sub (or no sub at all) can do.

We have neighbors downstairs who rather frequently listen to poppy music and I can hear oodles of midbass coming up here, more than I should for how loud they are listening to it. I finally got fed up after flying back from seeing the family and threw a DVD-A disc in my system (Blue Man Group - Audio) and cranked it up. I haven't heard their music playing since, and I think I will repeat this practice in the future.

Dusty Chalk
11-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Dude: headphones. I'm serious. K1000's would be best for movies, I would think. If your parents can afford a $7K system, perhaps they'll help you out on a K1000 based system.

Of course, you will, in all likelihood, still want a sub. But that's just because you're listening to HT.

emorphien
11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Dude: headphones. I'm serious. K1000's would be best for movies, I would think. If your parents can afford a $7K system, perhaps they'll help you out on a K1000 based system.

Of course, you will, in all likelihood, still want a sub. But that's just because you're listening to HT.
I like headphones too, but I don't care for them for home theater and do still mostly prefer listening to music through stereo speakers. Headphones won't really solve any of the things I mentioned anyway.

jrhymeammo
04-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Do you ever listen to your headphones and unplug all of your speakers except for a sub? Integration is a biatch.

emorphien
04-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Do you ever listen to your headphones and unplug all of your speakers except for a sub? Integration is a biatch.
I've tried something similar once. It's rather odd.

jrhymeammo
04-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Agreed, no rat shack dB meter will allow you to find a perfect match.

Dusty Chalk
04-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Do you ever listen to your headphones and unplug all of your speakers except for a sub? Integration is a biatch.I've done better -- the K1000's are attached to speaker terminals, I've used K1000's with a sub. Do you know what? Didn't like it. One of the things I like about headphones is the lack of electronics in the signal path, including crossovers.

Rock&Roll Ninja
04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
If my kid asked for $7000 I would have told them "I could have had you aborted for $125".
No but seriously..... I'd spoil them.

emorphien
04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
If my kid asked for $7000 I would have told them "I could have had you aborted for $125".
No but seriously..... I'd spoil them.
I figure it was worth a shot :)

pikers
04-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Anyone who says "they can't hear the difference" is deluding themselves. Of course they can--stores set systems up to be dramatically different from one another, if done properly.

It's also a good litmus test to weed out liars.:ciappa:

emorphien
04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyone who says "they can't hear the difference" is deluding themselves. Of course they can--stores set systems up to be dramatically different from one another, if done properly.

It's also a good litmus test to weed out liars.:ciappa:
I'd say that for some people in their mid-60s and on there's a good possibility that they won't hear a difference.

jrhymeammo
05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
I'd say that for some people in their mid-60s and on there's a good possibility that they won't hear a difference.

Listen here you YoungBuck. You dont know a thing about being 60+.
Go play your devilish music somewhere else and get out!!!!

RA

emorphien
05-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Listen here you YoungBuck. You dont know a thing about being 60+.
Go play your devilish music somewhere else and get out!!!!

RA
You ain't no old fart.

hydroman
05-01-2007, 11:01 AM
No Joke. Elderly man walks in into the Circuit City and says he needs a reciever for his daughter. I showed him two decent ones. Played 'em through the good speakers... He said 'i am deaf and can't hear 'em. Which one sounds better, young man?' Well of course the one with the higher spiff-to-noise ratio! (the one which paid the higher commision;)

sigh. Good days!

jrhymeammo
05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
No Joke. Elderly man walks in into the Circuit City and says he needs a reciever for his daughter. I showed him two decent ones. Played 'em through the good speakers... He said 'i am deaf and can't hear 'em. Which one sounds better, young man?' Well of course the one with the higher spiff-to-noise ratio! (the one which paid the higher commision;)

sigh. Good days!
Okay, that's just horrible....

Mr Peabody
05-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Best sub to headphone integration occurs when sitting on the sub:)