tv digital audio out to receiver connection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : tv digital audio out to receiver connection

slothshady
11-29-2006, 01:18 PM
im perplexed...
im trying to get my tv audio to play through my receiver. i have the dig. audio out on the tv connected to a digital audio in on the receiver using a digital audio cable. i am not getting any sound??
will the digital audio out on the tv only activate if i have digital cable or satellite or something? i only have basic cable in my room.

edtyct
11-29-2006, 01:35 PM
What exactly are you trying to hear through the TV? The digital audio out should send audio from the TV's own ATSC tuner or from a QAM tuner (if you have a direct cable feed) to your receiver, though you may have to activate it through the menu system. It may not allow you to hear the audio from an external cable receiver, whether you connect its audio to the TV or not. This audio, which would be associated with a particular set of inputs on the TV, might be confined to the TV's own speakers. But why try to use the TV as a medium for this audio when you can connect it straight to the receiver? Am I missing something?

slothshady
11-29-2006, 02:09 PM
no, i agree that would be stupid... i just want my tv's audio to play through the receiver.
i was saying that i have basic cable in my room, and i didnt know if the tv would send the signal through the digital output unless it was a digital signal, such as digital cable.
i also suspected that i might have to activate it through a menu, but on the menu screen there are no audio options!?

slothshady
11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
ok so i found an audio button on my remote... it has 3 options: main, sap, and mono.
i tried all 3... nothing.

AVMASTER
11-29-2006, 03:36 PM
if you have basic cable then there would be no digital audio fed to the television. Why not take the audio out of the cable box with RCA interconnects? If there's no box use RCA interconnects from the televisions' audio output to the receiver

slothshady
11-29-2006, 05:39 PM
damn thats what i thought...
i cant run it straight from the box, because it is in the living room... and im hooking up the surround in my room, gotta have sound for the living room tv.
and my tv doesnt have any analog audio outputs, i guess im out of luck
thanks for the replies