Ps3 Vs Xbox 360 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 Vs Xbox 360

Groundbeef
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Well, the PS3 has been out over a week now, and there doesn't appear to be any widespread problems with the machines. Some reports of unexplainable restarts, many in stores. Most likely due to the plexiglass holder they are using, keeping too much heat in.

So for the extra $200 are you getting your money's worth? I don't own one, but from what I have seen in store, I don't think so. It just doesn't have the polished feel that I expected after all the hoopla before release.

But I can't speak for everyone, so here are some interesting links. If you don't have high speed, the video can take a bit, as it is HD. But it shows that the PS3 doesn't exceed, and even lacks the 360 in the graphics area.

I know, I know, some of you are saying, but 360 has a year ahead. But remember, the PS3 was to be the end all of gaming consoles.

Anyway here is the link:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3155393

Enjoy!

icarus
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
This even occured when the ps2 and the xbox came out, the xbox was supposed to have better graphic capabilities than the PS2, its just that most games for the xbox were not pushing its cababilities like the some of the PS2 games were. Look at the final fantasy 12 graphics they are just amazing, better than what most people initially thought the PS2 was capable of doing.

The PS3 is capable of way better graphics than the 360, but its up to the gaming manufacturers to use its potential, not just whip out low quality graphics.

With the current games out for the PS3 no its not worth the extra 200, but once companies start making games that will push the limits of the PS3, then most definately it is worth it. From looking at the screen shots of the up coming gran turismo for the PS3, it should demonstrate the difference in graphics between the 360 and PS3. Just check out some of the screenshots for yourself
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/713/713809/vids_1.html

Groundbeef
11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
The PS3 is capable of way better graphics than the 360, but its up to the gaming manufacturers to use its potential, not just whip out low quality graphics.

With the current games out for the PS3 no its not worth the extra 200, but once companies start making games that will push the limits of the PS3, then most definately it is worth it. From looking at the screen shots of the up coming gran turismo for the PS3, it should demonstrate the difference in graphics between the 360 and PS3. Just check out some of the screenshots for yourself
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/713/713809/vids_1.html

Ummm. Well the PS3 was to end the world with its graphics. Companies have been working on programming games for the system for at least a year, if not more. And for the graphics to be sub-par or close to even is not a good sign.

Yes, in a year programmers will be better at making games for the PS3, but they will also be on 3rd gen 360 titles.

I am not sure what your pictures and video were to represent, but there isn't any comparisons to what a 360 can push in a comparable title.

Check out these shots for some real head to head comparison:

This is supposed to be a premier title for PS3. Notice the lack of detail compared to the 360. Way out of whack and not worth the $200.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/14/riiiiiiiiiiidge-racer-xbox-360-vs-ps3-screens/

icarus
11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
It sadens me to see the PS3 being no better than the Xbox, since i have always stood proudly with the Playstation name. I can only hope that with time this "problem" can be improved. Hopefully by my much ancipated release of the new metal gear solid to be released early next year. If not I may have to drop my allegience to the palystation and go with *sigh* microsoft on this one.

Let us pray for improvement!!!

Groundbeef
11-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Hopefully by my much ancipated release of the new metal gear solid to be released early next year. If not I may have to drop my allegience to the palystation and go with *sigh* microsoft on this one.

Let us pray for improvement!!!

Come to the Dark Side my son........really the 360 is a good system. And I will go out on a limb and say the PS3 is a good system also. However, I don't think its $200 better.

BTW the $159.00 HD-DVD drive for the 360 ends tommorow!

icarus
11-29-2006, 02:33 PM
It is very tempting to cross over, but im going to have to wait until im done Final Fantasy 12, before I hang up my PS2 and dare to cross over to the dark side.

ruckus1706
11-30-2006, 01:52 PM
The ps3 graphics did kinda let me down a little......but a few of u are talkin about the price difference.......but if u think about it if u bought the hd-dvd add on for the x-box it will be about the same price as the ps3......and the ps3 already comes with a blue ray disc player........and from what i have seen the blue ray players are goin for quite a bit right now.

But the graphics are about the same right now.......by the way i have the 360......im not sayin i dont like it cuz i do.

Groundbeef
11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
The ps3 graphics did kinda let me down a little......but a few of u are talkin about the price difference.......but if u think about it if u bought the hd-dvd add on for the x-box it will be about the same price as the ps3......and the ps3 already comes with a blue ray disc player........and from what i have seen the blue ray players are goin for quite a bit right now.

But the graphics are about the same right now.......by the way i have the 360......im not sayin i dont like it cuz i do.

I got my add on HD-DVD for $159.99 plus system $399 Plus cables...no wait the 360 came with them. So I'm at $559.99 and enjoying life.

Funny thing about that pesky HDMI cable that Sony didn't include...every big box store was pushing the MONSTER HDMI for $99 as a "needed" accessory. Even the WSJ (Wall Street Journal) ran a review yesterday and commented that you needed the cable and listed a low price of $79 for it. I think you can get them cheaper online (I know you can) but I bet that ruffled a few feathers.

ruckus1706
11-30-2006, 02:09 PM
One thing i did notice on the ps3 was on this off-roading game the frame rate was to slow on some of the jumps which caused it to blur. Good point on the cable i didnt add that into the equation. How does the picture on the hd-dvd add on look? I was thinkin about buying that.

PeruvianSkies
11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
It's all about the HYPE...

Nothing saddens, disappoints, frustrates, or upsets consumers more than HYPE that does not deliver. This is what the biggest problem is because PS3 was suppose to be this and suppose to be that, which is could still be, but with all the hype for it's release and then here it is...and ...well....it's on par with XBOX 360? What gives? Based on what Sony was saying...they should be able to back up their marketing not in the future, but on the day of delivery! That's the bottom line as far as I am concerned.

Groundbeef
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
One thing i did notice on the ps3 was on this off-roading game the frame rate was to slow on some of the jumps which caused it to blur. Good point on the cable i didnt add that into the equation. How does the picture on the hd-dvd add on look? I was thinkin about buying that.

I don't know yet. It is a Christmas Present for myself. But from all the reviews that I have read, on a HD TV (I have one) it looks AMAZING. Granted, its not HDMI, but I run it all through my reciever anyways so thats not really an issue.

I don't have 1080p TV, but 1080i ought to look great.

HAVIC
12-01-2006, 06:35 AM
I think the biggest difference between the consoles is not the hardware. People can talk specs all they want, but it comes down to the programming and the hardware is not that much different. Best analogy I can think of is 2 cars racing 1 car has more horsepower but the driver is not as good, so the car with less horsepower wins the race.

Also something like 98% of the games are on all platforms, so that should not make the decision on what console to get. For me it is price and controller design.

I feel that whenever I have played PS1 or PS2 my hands get cramped after playing for an hour or so. I think the controller was designed for teens and not adults. The xbox controller is much ergonomically designed and fits easier into an adults hand. I can play with an xbox controller for a much longer time without ever getting, what we called "playstation thumb" back in college.

Also it has been reported that MS is now making about $75 profit on the sale of each xbox 360 out there and will be dropping the price to $199 and $299, which will compete better with the Wii and really create a price difference between the PS3.

kexodusc
12-01-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't think graphics capabilities is going to be a determining competitive edge for any system. As mentioned already, a lot of good games are made for multiple formats. There's probably only so much you can squeeze out of a universal title.
I like the competition, hope PS3 does really well. I'm leaning to XBox 360 for the rest of the crap it can do, not just the gaming. And Halo and Knights of the Old Republic. Gotta have those.
I love my PS2, though. Maybe later on in the war when PS3 gets cheaper I'll snarf up on of those too.
I hope these guys fight super hard for my business. If one gets decidedly dominant, I can kiss sweet deals goodbye.

Geoffcin
12-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Broke down and got an Xbox360. Even got a decent discount at Overstock.com. I refuse to pay a premium for a Wii or Playstation3.

PS3 will have better graphics ONLY if you have a 1080p capable set AND hook it up with HDMI. Im sure the Xbox360 will look fine in 1080i on my 36" CRT.

L.J.
12-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Put me down for all three new sytems :cool:

emorphien
12-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Seems to me the power difference between the XB360 and the PS3 is minimal. Unfortunately for PS3 it has an uncomfortable controller with unsophisticated motion sensing ability (not really a gain, or a loss) which replaced vibration. Probably the biggest problem is the lack of good games, there's only a handful.

XB360 has a bunch out already and many of the Wii games are getting great reviews. I'm not buying any of the consoles but I'm fed up with Sony and lost interest in the PS3 quite a while ago.

Groundbeef
12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Broke down and got an Xbox360. Even got a decent discount at Overstock.com. I refuse to pay a premium for a Wii or Playstation3.

PS3 will have better graphics ONLY if you have a 1080p capable set AND hook it up with HDMI. Im sure the Xbox360 will look fine in 1080i on my 36" CRT.

Congrats. I hope you enjoy your 360. I might suggest fight night 3, it is really fun. If you got kids, Viva Pinata is really fun. I have played that quite a bit. It appears to be a bit of a sleeper hit for MS.

Theres tons o games out now.

Geoffcin
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Congrats. I hope you enjoy your 360. I might suggest fight night 3, it is really fun. If you got kids, Viva Pinata is really fun. I have played that quite a bit. It appears to be a bit of a sleeper hit for MS.

Theres tons o games out now.

But my first choice would have been the Wii. However, after the bowling-for-TV problem, and the fact that the only ones available are either at a premium on Ebay, or via a ~$700 package deal, the Xbox became very attractive. Right now I've only bought Call of Duty 3, but the kids will each get a choice of one game as a stocking stuffer.

Groundbeef
12-01-2006, 03:20 PM
But my first choice would have been the Wii. However, after the bowling-for-TV problem, and the fact that the only ones available are either at a premium on Ebay, or via a ~$700 package deal, the Xbox became very attractive. Right now I've only bought Call of Duty 3, but the kids will each get a choice of one game as a stocking stuffer.

Depending upon age, the driving ones might be best. However, STAY AWAY from Test Drive Unlimited. It in a word...sucks. Viva is seriously a great game. It is clean, hilarious and tons of fun.

Check it out here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/v/vivapinata/

Stay away from Gears Of War for the kiddies also.

spasticteapot
12-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm getting a Wiimote, if only because it's going to be usable with the PC soon, and should make an excellent alternative to a trackball for HTPC use.

Groundbeef
12-03-2006, 09:22 AM
I went WAYYYYY over to the Dark Side yesterday, and bought a PS3. I was in Toys-R-Us w/wife for Christmas shopping. She was ready to check out/ with kiddies gifts and I wandered over to electronic games. I casually asked the worker if they had any Wii's and he said no. And then I casually added, well you cant have any PS3's either. He looked at me like the cat who ate the canary and said...actually we have one left. Got 2 in yesterday. I about crapped. I bought it on the spot, and lugged it to the car. My wife about flipped.

I then explained that it was going on Ebay. So there it sits....waiting for someone to buy it. MUHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

icarus
12-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Your quite the business man Groundbeef, taking advantage of ebay.. its just a shame that you aren't going to keep it. Right now I don't find any of the games on the PS3 really attracting me to buy one, but once MGS4 comes out and if Square does reproduce Final Fantasy VII; then it would be worth picking up.
Let's face it when it comes to RPG's FFVII, even though its graphics aren't fabulous, its got the best storyline and the coolest villain (Sephiroth) of any RPG.

Groundbeef
12-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Your quite the business man Groundbeef, taking advantage of ebay.. its just a shame that you aren't going to keep it. Right now I don't find any of the games on the PS3 really attracting me to buy one, but once MGS4 comes out and if Square does reproduce Final Fantasy VII; then it would be worth picking up.
Let's face it when it comes to RPG's FFVII, even though its graphics aren't fabulous, its got the best storyline and the coolest villain (Sephiroth) of any RPG.

I've not played FF before, but I have heard it is good. Frankly, I don't have time for another console. Between the 360 and the PC, I don't have enough time. Couple that with MBA classes, refinishing my basement, and giving the 3 rugrats a bath, I just need the money.

The crazy time for PS3 is over on ebay. I am just hoping for about $200 profit on the machine. They are now going for between 800-1200. The good thing is that all the nutjobs and second guessers are out of the market. Now I hope to just get some person that wants one under the tree for the 25th.

powerlord
12-19-2006, 06:18 AM
I own an Xbox 360,PSIII,and their predecessors also,the 3 and the 360 disappointed us so bad that we're sour on the whole deal.My God the origional Xbox is a PIII 733 mhz,20 gig hd drive power house and can do everything the 360 can,what is all the hype over?And you think the origional Xbox can't play 360 games,think again.So this is all over a little bit better graphics which don't add up to much.And the PS2 has always been a ridiculous console,Xbox is and always will be wayyyyyyy ahead of PS2,games and console! IMO.

L.J.
12-19-2006, 07:38 AM
I can think of two things, HD-DVD & Blu-ray. You must not own an HDTV.

Groundbeef
12-19-2006, 10:00 AM
I own an Xbox 360,PSIII,and their predecessors also,the 3 and the 360 disappointed us so bad that we're sour on the whole deal.My God the origional Xbox is a PIII 733 mhz,20 gig hd drive power house and can do everything the 360 can,what is all the hype over?And you think the origional Xbox can't play 360 games,think again.

Ummmm I gotta be one of the biggest MS supporters on these boards, but you my friend apparently drank the "over the top" Kool-Aid.

There is NO WAY the original Xbox can push Xbox 360 graphics. The Xbox was much more advanced than the PS2, but not even close to the new 360.

Check out titles that are dual release/ Xbox/ Xbox 360. The graphics are sharper, cleaner, brighter, and suffer less "jaggies". The Xbox (orginal) isn't as robust in the online functions either.

Thanks for posting though!

powerlord
12-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Everything is a matter of opinion and that was mine.I wasn't saying that the original matched anything,I was dissapointed at the hype of either against the old gear,not much of an improvement to me,and yes I have HDTV,I was awaiting a heart stopping improvement,that didn't happen.

Groundbeef
12-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Everything is a matter of opinion and that was mine.I wasn't saying that the original matched anything,I was dissapointed at the hype of either against the old gear,not much of an improvement to me,and yes I have HDTV,I was awaiting a heart stopping improvement,that didn't happen.

It stops being opinion when you say :

My God the origional Xbox is a PIII 733 mhz,20 gig hd drive power house and can do everything the 360 can,

That my friend is just factually incorrect. Your opinion is that there is not a big improvement over the old Xbox. If thats what you think...ok. But as far as the machines being equal? No way.

And BTW what games are you playing? Have you tried Oblivion, GOW, FN3 and some of the other 100 games? Granted the early release games were a bit of a downer, but now? Comon.

powerlord
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
LOL! OK you win. I"ll go back to drinkin' my kool aid!:biggrin5:

Grizzly
01-08-2007, 01:54 PM
come on guys

ps3,60gig has the built in blue ray player -600 20 gig 500

xbox 360 spend what 399 xbox pro+ 150-190 hd dvd player add on 549- 589 (typical microsoft- sell them upgrades, ie os 95,98 me, xp, vista---come on they are thiefs, get it right ms stop charge us for u to fix your holes.....)

So the point the systems are the same price to get the full benefits out of them.....

ps3 will shine when people start buying and hooking them up to a 1080p tv-set......and people realize it plays blue ray movies(how well it does as a player i don't know)

THe games will drive the systems- me I'll be watching where Final Fansty goes. The graphics to me aren't as important as the story behind the game.....

WHere are the good games like had on the NES...... :)

As for the Wii- huh i think it is a fad, like that stupid robot, gun of the nes, and the other stupid gimics Nintendo puts in place but poorly supports.... and besides if you want to play tennis go outdoors and play tennis.... lol

Our household has

ps2- 4 years ago
Reason:
played ps1 games
had the Better RPG's then x-box

Game cube- 2005 x-mas
Reason:
Kid friendly games

In the past of owned
atari 2600 lol
nes
snes (only reason was for Zelda)
Gensis (had some great games for it)
N64 Zelda again this system sucked biggest thing was that controller
ps
ps2
game cube

In order for 360 to get me to come over is a better RPG line up

Groundbeef
01-08-2007, 02:22 PM
come on guys

Nice to have a new voice. Thanks for dropping in.

ps3,60gig has the built in blue ray player -600 20 gig 500

Yep, thats right.

xbox 360 spend what 399 xbox pro+ 150-190 hd dvd player add on 549- 589 (typical microsoft- sell them upgrades, ie os 95,98 me, xp, vista---come on they are thiefs, get it right ms stop charge us for u to fix your holes.....)

Well, unlike the PS3 you can pick what you like. I guess you could say typical Sony, jam everything that not everyone wants down their throat. Think UMD, Beta, Mini-Disk ad nauseum. With the 360, if you don't want an option, DONT buy it. Don't need wireless? Why pay for it. Don't want HD-DVD? Dont buy it.

PS, in the last month Sony has issued 4 software downloads to fix "issues" with the PS3. A bit unwise to suggest that only MS has glitches. Also, MS has recently extended ALL 360 warrenties for 1 year. Thats slightly better than Sony's 90 day. But I digress.

So the point the systems are the same price to get the full benefits out of them.....

If you need all the bells and whistles, the 360 is still cheaper albeit a smaller harddrive. Don't forget w/PS3 you don't even get the HD cables....heheh.

ps3 will shine when people start buying and hooking them up to a 1080p tv-set......and people realize it plays blue ray movies(how well it does as a player i don't know)

Ahhhh yeah, the old "Wait till next year" arguement. Sure, the PS3 will be better later...not now though. Certainly if you don't know the PS3 plays Blu-Ray you live under a rock.

THe games will drive the systems- me I'll be watching where Final Fansty goes. The graphics to me aren't as important as the story behind the game.....

Fair enough.

As for the Wii- huh i think it is a fad, like that stupid robot, gun of the nes, and the other stupid gimics Nintendo puts in place but poorly supports.... and besides if you want to play tennis go outdoors and play tennis.... lol Well, it certainly is a popluar fad. Have to see if its got legs. BTW I wonder what Sony was emulating with their Sixaxis controller? And hows that rumble feature....oh yeah it doesn't have it.

In order for 360 to get me to come over is a better RPG line up

Come to the dark side my son....we have lots of great games.

powerlord
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
I was mainly pulling groundbeefs chain,the 360 and the 3 are sweet,my favorite game used to be Halo until I played Gears of War,now I'm addicted to it.I sold both a little before Xmas and made some dough.Now I just bought the 360 again with the HD DVD box,it's quite a deal IMO to have a game system and HD DVD in the same basket and they are sexy!