random thoughts about the new Hackett album [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : random thoughts about the new Hackett album

richmon
11-19-2003, 07:37 AM
How bout some prog talk to get this new forum kickstarted?
Got 'To watch the storms' , Steve's latest disc, and have some first listen impressions. This came with a booklet of lyrics and yes, once again his wife's artwork, which is uninspiring to these eyes. Much to my suprise, Steve has managed to put out something fresh, original and good, progressive with a capital P. Blending acoustic guitar with howling electric, strange time signitures with lots of twists and turns but with structure and melody. Not a wankfest, it's a whole band concoction and they 'clicked'. Favorite song so far would be Mechanical Bride, but hey only had one listen. Ran out of new ideas towards the end, but the first two thirds knocked me out.

MasterCylinder
11-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Sounds like it is worth checking out.............

Who else does he have as performers on this new release ?

Dave_G
11-19-2003, 08:43 AM
After 2 listens, I still don't get this cd.

It has too many "segments" and weird stuff.

I wish he would stick to 1 theme during an album. I don't really like all the back and forth stuff he does.

To me (and I am one of his biggest fans), his modern output pales to compare to the older material, it seems as tho his writing has lost a lot of it's creativity and he is relying on other things to fill up a cd.

And live thesedays, he appears to be trying to pull a Robert Fripp.

I dunno, I'm lukewarm at best about this one, maybe it needs more listens.

Dave

richmon
11-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Sounds like it is worth checking out.............

Who else does he have as performers on this new release ?
He uses the band from his last tour, buncha unknowns, Roger King on Keyboard, Rob Townsend on Brass + Woodwind, Terry Gregory on Basses + Vocals, Gary O'toole on Drums + vocals. Brother John Hackett plays flute on a song, Ian McDonald sax on another song. Steve's website says that this album compositionally harks back to his stuff from Voyage, Spectral Mornings period, I'd agree with that. Listened to it again today @ lunch, yep still captivated me for the first 10 songs, the last 7 aren't as strong.

BarryL
11-19-2003, 03:06 PM
I was very impressed with this release when it first came out, and I still am. I like the fact that he can go from quite classical to shredding high velocity on a dime and give you a nickel's change. He really rips on Mechanical Bride. I think it's a really solid album and I hope he continues with more of the same. Actually, I'd prefer is he wrote longer pieces, but what can you do.

As usual, DaveG is out to lunch on this one.
:rolleyes:

I think I was just successful in dropping in a "Rolleyes" smiley. FA will be impressed.

Dusty Chalk
11-19-2003, 05:02 PM
On the one hand, I agree with everyone else that disagrees with Dave G that it's not a good album. It is an excellent album. Brilliant. Nicely varied, and a great sense of humour.

However, I will agree with Dave G that it doesn't really compete with his best albums, Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Dont Touch, Spectral Mornings, Defector, or even the out of place Til We Have Faces.

Not to say that he's not out to lunch, I'm just saying I wish I was out to lunch.

Dave_G
11-20-2003, 07:00 AM
I'm out to lunch and Barry things a Gino Vanelli album is prog?

Who's out to lunch?

:eek:

I will listen to that title 2 or 3 more times and will re-evaluate my preferences. But I still think it's mostly fodder.

Dave

BarryL
11-20-2003, 08:53 AM
LOL. Come on, you don't like Gist of the Gemini, or how about Black Cars. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. His early stuff was good basement make-out music. But that was 20 years ago. Come to think of it, I still spend a lot of time in the basement - cleaning out, working out, moving stuff in and out, but never making out!