Turn table static [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turn table static

icarus
11-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Hey guys, recently moved one of my systems into another room and all im getting is static!! :sad: It still plays records, but there is constant static coming through as well. It's an old JVC turntable from the early 80's, its hooked up into a denon AVR 1801. Although its my seconday system its still driving me crazy!:incazzato:

any help would be divine!

Resident Loser
11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey guys, recently moved one of my systems into another room and all im getting is static!! :sad: It still plays records, but there is constant static coming through as well. It's an old JVC turntable from the early 80's, its hooked up into a denon AVR 1801. Although its my seconday system its still driving me crazy!:incazzato:

any help would be divine!

...mean static/noise or typical vinyl surface noise?

You may want to try carefully cleaning the RCA-plugs with some isopropyl alcohol or simply gently twisting the plugs as you disconnect/reconnect them...could be the surface crud that develops over time...that twisting/scrubbing motion sometimes does the trick...

jimHJJ(...actually more often than not...)

icarus
11-29-2006, 10:44 AM
I tried cleaning the RCA plugs, I tried changing the head, but sadly still static.

basite
11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
has it got a ground wire, and if it does, is it still ok?
what about the records themselves, are they ok?

icarus
11-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Well the static occurs as soon as the power comes on, before the needle even comes in contact to the records, so I am pretty sure its not the records.

basite
11-29-2006, 11:25 AM
is this 'static' hum (a constant tone) or is it noise?

i'm suspecting it's hum, and then it's something about your ground wire (that it came loose, or someting like that) or that something is wrong in your receiver, which seems unlogically...

if you can't see anything directly (about the ground wire (if it haves one)), open it up (remove the bottom plate) if possible and look for something that could be wrong.

hope it's your ground wire though,
Get them spinning real soon,
Basite.

Resident Loser
11-29-2006, 12:29 PM
...in what may become a series of dumb questions, do you get this noise only with "phono" selected? What about selecting an input that has no source connected? Is there a dimmer switch in the room or on the same AC circuit? Is anything located near a PC or any other CRT i.e. a tee-vee set? Do you take the bus to work or your lunch? Pick a color from one to ten, true or false?

jimHJJ(...see, I toldya so...)

P.S. Is the AC plug of the turntable "keyed" or are both blades the same width? If they are the same, try reversing polarity.

icarus
11-29-2006, 12:39 PM
It is more of a hum than static, and it oln'y occurs with phono selected. and no there are no other electronics in the room, and i take my lunch to work, and a colour from one to ten would be green number 9 and true. I hope that answers al your questions

I took it apart and all the grounds are connected, there is no loose connections. It may be the arm itself thats causing me grief... or maybe its just time to get a new one.