Floor Staniding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floor Staniding

PaDave
11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Can anyone point me in the best direction in towers for 300$ or less? I am not rich and i want the best sound that i can afford. I have a decent receiver,Subwoofer, and the reason behind the 300$ mark is because i also need to replace some tired book shelfs. Can someone please help? I would appreciate it thank you all.

markw
11-28-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm runing their predecessors for four years so far and still don't feel the need to replace 'em. Check out my system in my sig line.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASF1%2E2

FWIW, they have some bookshelf speakerd that match these on sale also fir $120/pair. Search for the Athena Auditon AS-B1.2

spasticteapot
11-28-2006, 07:17 PM
If you've got a good sub, some used Magnepan MMGs would make for a stylish and high-quality addition to any stereo. The downside to flat speakers like the MMGs is that they're prone to "beaming" - good for home-theater or "dedicated" listening while sitting in one place, bad for moving around or sitting on the floor.

Alternately, check out zaphaudio.com for some really excellent DIY speaker designs.

AudioBack
11-29-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm not quite sure on their prices. I'm guessing that the Paradigm Espirit and Phantom are atleast close to 300 a pair. But then again, I bought my Monitor 9 v.2s for 630 a pair and now v.4s are 900 a pair. Other than the Paradigms, if you can find them the Athenas mensioned by Markw are fantastic for the price. I don't know much over that other than the Sony speakers at Best Buy that have pretty balanaced sound for cheap speakers, but I would never recommend them for any type of tonal accuracy. You may wanna boost your budget alittle closer to 4 or 500 a pair. Speakers are the most important component of your sound system. I love my Paradigms to death, but my biggest regret is that I could have saved up more money to buy all Studio series instead of Monitors that sound worlds apart. I can no longer afford the Monitors today much less the Studios.

spasticteapot
11-29-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm not quite sure on their prices. I'm guessing that the Paradigm Espirit and Phantom are atleast close to 300 a pair. But then again, I bought my Monitor 9 v.2s for 630 a pair and now v.4s are 900 a pair. Other than the Paradigms, if you can find them the Athenas mensioned by Markw are fantastic for the price. I don't know much over that other than the Sony speakers at Best Buy that have pretty balanaced sound for cheap speakers, but I would never recommend them for any type of tonal accuracy. You may wanna boost your budget alittle closer to 4 or 500 a pair. Speakers are the most important component of your sound system. I love my Paradigms to death, but my biggest regret is that I could have saved up more money to buy all Studio series instead of Monitors that sound worlds apart. I can no longer afford the Monitors today much less the Studios.

Depending on your listening style, DIY speakers generally offer tremendous value for the dollar. Wether you go with traditional 3-way monsters, 2-way MTMs or "mini-monitors", or single-driver monstrousities, there's a lot of speaker to be had for the buck.

blasterman_
12-03-2006, 08:21 AM
First off, Magnepans do not "beam" in any fashion. They have a very narrow sweet spot, which is different than "beaming". The cheaper Klipsch designs are poster children for "beaming" if you need an example of what it actually sounds like. While I respect Magnepan and like some aspects of their sound, they are not a speaker I would not otherwise openly advise a stranger to purchase because of their various quirks and power requirements.

Next, the poster requested "towers" and didn't ask for DIY kits or mini monitors. Gee, maybe he should get a Bose Wave radio....

For $300 I agree with the poster above who recommended Athena. I've heard the F1.2's, and they are a lot of speaker for the money and generally sound pretty decent.

basite
12-03-2006, 09:05 AM
or you can always search ebay for some good vintage speakers, if you're in the americas, you can certainly get your hands on a pair of advents, or old JBL's (new ones are crap), i have advents myself, and they have never let me down, and compared to the cheap modern speakers, they rule.

Greetings,
Basite.

PaDave
12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I went with E-710 Cerwin Vegas 10'' 3-way, and im very impressed compared to some of the speakers i have went to local places and listened to. Thanks for all you help.