Refoam or Replace? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Refoam or Replace?

likeitloud
11-28-2006, 02:11 PM
I recently picked up a pair of Pioneer Hpm 300's for $40, and am thinking of
restoring them. The cosmetic issues are'nt a problem, but the 8" drivers(woofers)
are done. They are MidWoofers, and was wondering if upgrading to new drivers
is the way to go, or refoam the originals. I've heard these were the upgrade to
the Hpm40 speaker, which was well regarded, we'll see if it is. I'm not to concerned
about keeping these original, just some good sounds. Thanks in advance.

markw
11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Remember, a speaker system consists of three matched components, the cabinet, the speakers (mostly the woofer) and the crossover. If you throw off the balance of any one of those you compromise the sound.

You stand a better chance of keeping within the original design parameters of the system by refoaming them

JoeE SP9
11-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Refoam them. They will probably sound better that way.:cool:

Dusty Chalk
11-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Refoaming speakers is arguably one of the easiest things you can do. That said, I've never done it myself (I just got back from a guy's, who said this).

spasticteapot
11-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Refoaming is a pain. That said, it's worth it.

Also, check to make sure that the spider is okay, and the voice coil is not rubbing.

phillyguy
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Refoam! You can't go wrong for the $30 to $40 it will cost. I used the professional kit from Winston Organ:

http://www.winstonorgan.com/diy.htm

The people on the phone we really helpful sizing the kit, and it wasn't that hard. It was a bit scary cutting the dust caps off of the cones though! Look at it this way, if you screw it up, you can go with your second option and replace the woofers. Or by a set of speakers you don't care about and do a practice refoam. It is not hard! You just need to take your time. Watch out though, the glue is sticky and can get messy if you are not careful. Feel free to PM me with questions. I am sure you will enjoy listening to speakers that you fixed yourself.

likeitloud
11-29-2006, 04:16 AM
Refoam it is then, I've seen lots of 8" kits out there. Thanks