Christmas: Free Music! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas: Free Music!

noddin0ff
11-28-2006, 01:24 PM
It’s almost December so I think it’s fair to put this up now. I don’t like jumping the gun on the Christmas holidays and I hope no one is offended that I don’t have any Hanukkah or Kwanzaa jazz (that I know of anyway). This is my Christmas Jazz Compilation, culled from my collection of Christmas jazz compilation CD’s (…my Christmas Jazz Meta-comp?). I’m not sure where my moral compass rests with regard to re-comping a commercial comps for sharing. But, most jazz artists are just happy someone’s listening to their stuff so here it is.

01 Cool Yule: Kurt Elling (3:30)
02 Merry Christmas, Baby: Lou Rawls (2:34)
03 You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch: Fareed Haque (5:26)
04 I Bought You A Plastic Star For Your Aluminum Tree: Michael Franks (4:58)
05 Christmas Ain't What It Used To Be: Jacqui Naylor (5:12)
06 II Est Ne, Le Divin Enfant: Dr. John (2:59)
07 Carol Of The Bells: Wynton Marsalis (4:56)
08 The Little Drummer Boy: Cassandra Wilson (4:39)
09 'Zat You Santa Claus: Benny Green featuring Miles Griffith (3:35)
10 Blue X-Mas: Bob Dorough (5:40)
11 Silent Night: Stanley Jordan (3:46)
12 Jingle Bells: Dianne Reeves (2:10)
13 I'll Be Home For Christmas: Eliane Elias & Herbie Hancock (2:51)
14 What Child Is This?: Chick Corea (4:17)
15 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas: Diana Krall (4:36)
16 Be-Bop Santa Claus: Sweet Daddy Lowe and the Blue Note Ad Hoc Orchestra (4:32)

I hope you all find something new and fun. These are all lossless from CD’s converted to FLAC. Uploaded as one file (~340MB) to mediafire.

>>>>PM me for the link! (http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=236525)<<<<<

ABOUT:
For the most part it favors the blues side. Fun vocals and a few instrumentals. To highlight my personal favorites…Bought you a plastic star to me is the perfect Christmas song, a little campy with all the right sentiments. This is the one I want to hear every year. You’re a mean one Mr. Grinch is a delicious guitar solo which captures Seuss well with the Who-ville intro. I’m a fan of Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea at the piano so tracks 13 and 14 appeal to this. And the two odd ones that cling to my ears are The Little Drummer Boy and Carol of the Bells, the latter being a New Orleans influenced and interesting take. Be-Bob Santa Claus you can consider a bonus track.

[mount soapbox]
I also want to highlight Christmas Ain’t What it Used to Be. The pianist, who I know a little bit, is Art Khu. I met Jacqui at a birthday party for Art when they were just joining up. I really dig Art’s playing, He does have a solo album titled Reconciliation. He’s got some hard working fingers and puts together some good arrangements. This song is their own piece (recorded live at Yoshi’s in Oakland) and it’s got a great sound. Jacqui puts everything out on her own label, Ruby Records. I promo’d this album before here. I think MindGoneHaywire picked it up and decided it wasn’t his cup of tea. I’d be curious to know if that’s still true? It took a while for Jacqui to grow on me. I think she’s an understated talent that is improving and doesn’t’ categorize well. I’ll put together a comp of Jazz covers of rock songs eventually, Art and Jacqui will show up there too.
[dismount]

noddin0ff
12-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Bah humbug bump.

nobody
12-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Wife is a Christmas music fan, so we have a bit of a Christmas collection...New Wave Christmas and Punk Rock Christmas get played most...although the Christmas album that came with the Phil Spector box set sounds pretty good what I've listened to so far. A Soulful Christmas with a couple good versions of What Are You Doin' New Year's Eve is quite good as well.

And, I remember getting a few good Christmas comps from the good people around here.