32 in wall mount lcd??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 32 in wall mount lcd???

imdwlaw
11-27-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't know what I'm doing. I get conflicting info on the net.
I think I want to get a 32 in. wall mount LCD flat panel.
I'm not a TV nut but I don't want to waste the little money I have. I appreciate a good picture from a DVD. Haven't experienced HDTV yet.
I was looking at Visio, Olevia, Westinghouse...in the $6-700 range. I could go a little higher if necessary.
I just need to know enough so that I won't be disastisfied or find out I need to buy something additional that is necessary.

Anything would be appreciated.

markw
11-28-2006, 06:32 AM
These are designed for size and weight. Remember, that when choosing one. Here's a selection from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=LCD+Wall+Mounts&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq4c43442057616c6c204d6f756e7473%7E%7Eccat03 000%23%234%23%2318%7E%7Eccat08051%23%231%23%23o%7E %7Eccat08092%23%232%23%23o%7E%7Enccat08204%23%230% 23%23n&list=n&usc=All+Categories&nrp=24&iht=n

And, I just bought my first HDTV and here's what I learned. Maybe it'll help you.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20227

edtyct
11-28-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but Vizio, Olevia, and Westinghouse all manufacture reputable LCD panels that look pretty good and don't cost an arm and a leg. They don't all have the same features, however; nor do they all "excel" in every possible, or the same, way. They may not be capable, in every respect, of the picture quality that a Sharp, a Sony, or other brand can deliver, but for many people, the differences won't matter much, especially when price is a factor. Also, a point worth making is that relatively small panels, like 32", may not show a lot of fine variation to someone sitting 8' away from it. It could boil down to which ones offer the kinds of features that appeal to you and how fussy you are. If you're in need of a tuner, for instance, you wouldn't choose a monitor without one, or if you have your heart set on HDMI connection, DVI might not do. You also might want to distinguish them, as well as you can, by their ability to render black or dark backgrounds, by their tendency to leave visible trails behind objects in motion, or by how the colors look. The only way not to have buyers' remorse sneak up after a purchase is to do your homework. Ask questions, read reviews, and, if you can, watch a few things on LCDs (all the better if you can twiddle the controls while you do so).

Glen B
11-29-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't know what I'm doing. I get conflicting info on the net.
I think I want to get a 32 in. wall mount LCD flat panel.
I'm not a TV nut but I don't want to waste the little money I have. I appreciate a good picture from a DVD. Haven't experienced HDTV yet.
I was looking at Visio, Olevia, Westinghouse...in the $6-700 range. I could go a little higher if necessary.
I just need to know enough so that I won't be disastisfied or find out I need to buy something additional that is necessary.

Anything would be appreciated.

I recently bought a Vizio LCD and love it. The HD picture quality is beautiful. Sound is not amazing but good enough. It has more than enough inputs for my needs and I was able to get rid of the remote switcher I was using with my "old" CRT TV. If I must complain about something, I wish the buttons on the remote were larger and backlit. I have the unit mounted with a Sanus universal tilting wall mount like one in the link MarkW provided. A bonus with this mount is it allows you to lock the TV in place with two padlocks to prevent theft.

recoveryone
12-21-2006, 01:57 PM
I too have the 32" Vizio in my bedroom mounted on the wall. I have HD from my cable provider and the pic is right on par with any Sony/Sharp I have seen. I also use it as my computer monitor for online gaming.

Daedilus
12-22-2006, 07:57 PM
LCD's tend to be a little "cartoony" in their color vs. a plasma, when it comes to skintone and realism, but that aside, when looking at a still image, the sharpness and vibrance of an LCD is unmatched... The complete lack of cells is something plasmas just cant touch yet.

You mentioned you have not seen HiDef yet, but didnt specifically say whether you planned to get it or not... To that end i will say that an LCD will tend to disappoint on fast moving pictures, but will excell on things like Daybreak Earth (DiscoveryHD mornings). If however your primary mission in life is sporting events or hidef movies you are going to be lukewarm to your LCD.

Absolute best Standard Definition picture i have seen out of a LCD was a Westinghouse. Hooked to basic cable it was the best i have ever seen SD look.

Absolute best HD picture i have ever seen from a LCD was, believe it or not, an Akai... I know, i know, garbage, taiwan reject stuff i know i know... None the less this thing handled motion on HD better than any other LCD i have ever seen, watched an HD football game on it after hooking it up, and i was stunned, there was almost none of the pixelation around the yardlines marked on the field even as the camera panned fast, the bright blue jerseys displayed only a hint of choppyness when moving against the green background..

So either its a good tv or the ancestral gods were in alignment while that particular one was built, still might be worth taking a look at, as the price on them is quite low