Ever run short of memory for pics on vacation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ever run short of memory for pics on vacation

Grandpaw
11-27-2006, 11:38 AM
I have two, one gig cards for my camera but could not find one recently before going on vacation. So instead of purchasing more memory I just dropped by the local Wal-Mart while on vacation when my card started getting full and for $3.00 dropped all my pictures on a CD in the photo department. Ten minutes later I had a CD with all the photos taken so far and a clear card for picture taking and had all my previously taken pictures safely on a disk.

This not only gave me more memory it removed the pictures out of the camera where the could be accidentally erased or lost. Also if you have a portable DVD player or laptop along you can view your pictures and see what you have just in case some need to be retaken.

I do realize that everyone that reads these forums may not have Wal-Mart stores where they are but for the ones that do it sure is a nice option while on vacation, Jeff

JohnMichael
11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
That is a nice feature being able to clear your memory card to cd. Of course I also like not worrying about the camera going through security. When I was shooting film I would always try to have it processed where I was to avoid further scans on the return trip. Of course it is kind of a crap shoot when you choose a processor on vacation. My local lab makes cd's either standard or high res. Do you know what quality level cd's they make?

Are you the same Grandpaw I see on photographyreview.com? I am a member and I go by JohnMichael. I have not been too active yet but I have posted 6 photos.

ForeverAutumn
11-27-2006, 08:14 PM
A friend of mine tried to do that in Disney World. Everyplace that she went to, on the property, wanted $20 to process the CD. :yikes:

Grandpaw
11-28-2006, 09:56 AM
That is a nice feature being able to clear your memory card to cd. Of course I also like not worrying about the camera going through security. When I was shooting film I would always try to have it processed where I was to avoid further scans on the return trip. Of course it is kind of a crap shoot when you choose a processor on vacation. My local lab makes cd's either standard or high res. Do you know what quality level cd's they make?

Are you the same Grandpaw I see on photographyreview.com? I am a member and I go by JohnMichael. I have not been too active yet but I have posted 6 photos.

Yep that's me! If you see the name grandpaw spelled with a W at the end it is probably me. Also on any of the forums I use the same signature about having very good days and plain good days, Jeff

I would like to add that I have two Nikon F's with FTN meters on them that just set in my camera bag these days. I have a 8 mega pixel Kodak 880 that I can't even tell it is hanging around my neck it is so light and easy to carry. I definitely like the digital format.

To answer your question about the file size they are 2.5MB or 3264x2448 on my SD card and on the CD from Wal-mart they compress down to 1.76MB with 3264x2448 also.

The cost was $3.10 with tax and you get little sheets with thumbnail pictures of what is on the CD. It took about ten minutes and before I paid I placed the CD back in the machine and checked to make sure all the prints were there before clearing my card, Jeff

kexodusc
11-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm one of the rare few I think that has had some memory loss on my computer from the airport security scan. My laptop's hard drive got corrupted. I'm told it wasn't the conveyor belt x-ray scanner thing, but the stupid hand held wands they rubbed all over it. Nothing that wasn't recoverable, but if I had pics on a camera they'd have been pooched.