RadioShack SPL Meter... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RadioShack SPL Meter...

joel2762
02-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Finally decided that it'd be cool to have an SPL meter! Could keep me entertained for a while, and do lots of experimenting and everything! Went on the RadioShack page..only found a digital one...$89.99 CAN.......90 bux!!! Doesn't RadioShack sell any cheaper ones than that!? or anyone know where I can find a cheaper one or should I just go for this? Thanks.

This Guy
02-09-2004, 05:54 PM
you didn't look hard enough.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-4050

The analog is suppose to be more accurate too

-joey

mtrycraft
02-09-2004, 10:02 PM
you didn't look hard enough.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-4050

The analog is suppose to be more accurate too

-joey

It just reads in whole numbers and a little better feature but it should be equally accurate. For some measuring the digi is great. For level matching the analog is better as you can read between whole numbers.

joel2762
02-10-2004, 02:38 AM
This one wasn't listed on the RadioShack.ca page. I'm going to go to RadioShack this weekend and have a look at what's there. This will be put to good use haha. Now I'll be measuring everything :p ...So when you calibrate you're Home Theatre, you're trying to get the same level from each speaker in your listening position?. Thanks

kexodusc
02-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Joel, to my knowledge, the Canadian RadioShacks don't sell the cheaper meter...you might have to look into getting a used on e-bay...but expect to pay about 50-60 bucks CDN after shipping and duties (if any).
You might just be better off biting the bullet and buying a new one yourself...but at 90 bucks, there might be better pieces for you to upgrade.
Or you could do what I did...
Buy one, calibrate, and return it. Shhhh!!!

recoveryone
02-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Ouch!!!! the old analog one went for about 40.00. I heard they were bring it back after high demand, from nuts like us....:) Keep looking, check ebay or some other online store.

This Guy
02-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeh set the channels so they're all the same, but make the sub 3-6 dB louder then the rest of your speakers. I bet you're gonna end up having to put the subs volume down a lot (that's what happened to me).

-Joey

Willow
02-10-2004, 03:27 PM
I've been looking for the analogue one as well in the Can. ratshacks..no luck.....funny I was thinking I might buy one too and use for for what ever the return policy is and get my refund back!!

joel2762
02-10-2004, 03:56 PM
ha I could do the return thing but i'd like to keep it and have it handy! Guess i'll save for the digital!

kexodusc
02-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Actually Joel, I just checked the Canadian Radio Shack webpage and it looks as though the analog meters will be available soon for $70 CDN...
A bit more reasonable if you can hold out a bit longer.

mtrycraft
02-10-2004, 08:37 PM
So when you calibrate you're Home Theatre, you're trying to get the same level from each speaker in your listening position?. Thanks

Yes, with the prescribed test tone, either from a disc which exercises the whole audio chain and may be more accurate as some processors test tones are not totally reliable from channel to channel.

joel2762
02-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Maybe i'll just wait for the analog one then!...As for testing...my reciever plays the test tone for about 2 seconds each channel and then switches to another and keeps rotating. That doesn't give me enough time. What if I downloaded a used a sound genorator on my computer that played pink noise and wired my computer into the stereo and calibrated this way? Would this be better?

meyer
02-11-2004, 12:59 PM
I emailed them last month. They told me the new analog spl meter will be available in Canada by the end of March. Hope this helps!

Woochifer
02-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Joel, to my knowledge, the Canadian RadioShacks don't sell the cheaper meter...you might have to look into getting a used on e-bay...but expect to pay about 50-60 bucks CDN after shipping and duties (if any).
You might just be better off biting the bullet and buying a new one yourself...but at 90 bucks, there might be better pieces for you to upgrade.
Or you could do what I did...
Buy one, calibrate, and return it. Shhhh!!!

Good plan, unless you decide one day to move some furniture around, rearrange the room, or add things like new speakers, acoustic panels, or a subwoofer. The meter's great to keep around so that you can address those changes.

kexodusc
02-11-2004, 02:09 PM
I'll confess, I only did that once. I bought one on e-bay just before christmas, Realistic brand, it's got the Radio Shack logo on it.
I'll admit, I do enjoy my system a bit better now, but I the changes were rather subtle from what I had previously.
Personally, I think everyone should have one, and I'm glad more and more receivers are coming with a optimizing feature.
Just out of curiosity, will YPAO in the RX-V1400 render my Sound Meter useless?

joel2762
02-11-2004, 04:00 PM
I'll keep an eye in march!

mtrycraft
02-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Maybe i'll just wait for the analog one then!...As for testing...my reciever plays the test tone for about 2 seconds each channel and then switches to another and keeps rotating. That doesn't give me enough time. What if I downloaded a used a sound genorator on my computer that played pink noise and wired my computer into the stereo and calibrated this way? Would this be better?

2 seconds? Not good.
Try to get one of the TV setup test DVD. They have calibrated test tones in all channels recorded at a known level which you need to know what level it needs to be on the meter at what volume setting.

joel2762
02-13-2004, 03:03 AM
Yeeah I know test tone is junk. I downloaded the NCH tone generator. It plays pink noise, and my reciever does not offer individual controls for the mains, just balance control, so I can base my settings on these.