Computer speakers. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Computer speakers.

ROJ
11-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I am looking for affordable speakers for my computer (less than $200). Can you recommend some good computer speakers.

Thanks.

basite
11-27-2006, 10:58 AM
erm, define 'compurer speakers', you mean a real pc speaker set
and do you want stereo, 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1

please, more info

Basite.

ROJ
11-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi Basite,

I am looking for a 2.0 or 2.1 system that can be connected to my computer through my computer's sound card primarly to listen to music while I work on my computer and for occasional games. I don't need surround sound speakers as I have a 5.1 system in another room. I don't know anything about speakers that can be connected to computers so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bubbagump
11-27-2006, 03:30 PM
There are some good computer speakers out there but for the same amount or less, step up to a pair of Insignias, t-amp and an inexpensive sub. The insignia's regularly go on sale for as little as 35 bucks/pair. The t-amp is about 30 bucks and the sub about 90. Add a power adapter for the t-amp and an rca to minijack cable for your computer t amp connection and you're still below budget.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&st=insignia+speakers&type=product&id=1138085354138

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6cd8/?cpg=froogle

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW216BL-Advanced-Front-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B000FJ89UO/sr=1-23/qid=1164668280/ref=sr_1_23/103-7124544-0525437?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video

audio_dude
11-27-2006, 04:53 PM
WAIT!!!

check out the M-Audio Studiophile set! best 2.1 system on the MARKET

N. Abstentia
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
For the price (under $200) nothing can touch Klipsch Pro Media speakers for the computer.

I'm sure those M-Audio's are nice, but I can't see paying close to $500 for computer speakers!

spasticteapot
11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
For the price (under $200) nothing can touch Klipsch Pro Media speakers for the computer.

I'm sure those M-Audio's are nice, but I can't see paying close to $500 for computer speakers!

I never much liked the ProMedias. The M-audio gear is likely to have a much flatter response curve, with better midrange. (Wether they're any fun to listen to is another story altogether.)

I second the Insignia/T-amp combo. Another nice option is a T-amp and some RadioShack Minimus 7's, if you can find them - they're popular mini-monitors from the 80's.

anamorphic96
11-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Here is another option. But there 349.00.

http://www.audioengineusa.com/

ROJ
11-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I now have a few speakers to audition during the next couple of weeks before Christmas, when I plan to buy the speakers.

-ROJ

compaqguy
11-30-2006, 10:10 AM
im going to get shot for this... but also throw in the Bose companions...

for 99, they really arent that bad. They have a nice midrange, clear highs, and pretty good lows for a small enclosure.

Try them, and if you dont like them, dont buy them lol.

Now they arent going to hold up against the m audio, but to my ears they sound better than the klipsch. They arent as bright and overbearing. Go figure, as im not much of a bose fan (just find my review of the wave radio)

spasticteapot
11-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Insignia B2111s + T-amp = 90$ of awesome.

(Besides - what other speaker set is portable?)

emorphien
12-01-2006, 12:55 AM
I've got a little Boston set I purchased for $30 that is really quite impressive for the money. Certainly beats most computer sets I've heard for $100.

bobsticks
12-01-2006, 07:03 AM

I agree. I bought the ProMedia for dear-ole mom a few months ago and was suitably impressed. Of course, you can go the way of Mike Anderson and get a Benchmark DAC, the Squeexebox and some awesome speakers...but that takes you out of the realm of computer speakers. Good luck finding the middle ground and let us know how it turns out.

spf
12-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Another one to have a look at is the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 set. It's around $200 uses an 8" sub with plenty of power and some nice little satellites for the highs and mids. I can't compare it to the Klipsch set but I've listened to the Logitech and found it more accurate and clean than most computer sets out there. Creative may have something as well that fits your budget.

Shane

dean_martin
12-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Acoustic Energy's first iteration of computer speakers received numerous awards and good press. Their latest version is supposed to be pretty good and comes in at your budget limit. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AE26-06&variation=BLK

I have the T-amp and a pair of Insignias that I use with a portable cd player w/lineout for outdoor listening and for fun. I haven't tried the t-amp and Insignias as computer speakers yet because of the Insignias' size. If you have the space for regular bookshelf sized speakers with your computer, I second the recommendation for this setup.

audio_dude
12-02-2006, 12:29 PM
i'm gonna have to pick up a set of those insignia's and a T-amp...

but the M-audio's, i seriously recomend you take a REALLY good listen to them.

Parja
12-18-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm intrigued by the Insignia and T-Amp combo. I'm considering using them to make a 5.1 setup for my computer (2 sets of Insignias, 3 T-Amps, a powered sub, and a center channel). Should be doable for around $350 and the sound quality should blow anything in the price range out of the water.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced center channel that would mate well with 4 of the Insignia bookshelves? I guess I could consider using an Insignia as a center channel, but I'd like to have something that will fit under my LCD monitor.

Also, would that Yamaha YST-SW216BL mentioned above be a decent sub to use in this setup? The price is certainly right.

audio_dude
12-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Parya, if you're gonna do the 3 T-amps, 2 sets of insignias... mind as well get 3 sets of insignias for 6.1, and using a regular speaker as a centre chanel is FINE

(ps. where you gonna get a sub that cheap??)

Parja
12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Parya, if you're gonna do the 3 T-amps, 2 sets of insignias... mind as well get 3 sets of insignias for 6.1, and using a regular speaker as a centre chanel is FINE

There's an idea. Yeah, I could use an Insignia as a center channel, but I'm not sure it would fit under my LCD.

(ps. where you gonna get a sub that cheap??)

The Yamaha sub bubbagump linked to earlier in the thread is $90 shipped from Amazon.

3 T-Amps would be $90, and 3 sets of Insignias would be $120. So that's a total of $300. I figure another $50, give or take, should cover wires and AC adapters.

audio_dude
12-20-2006, 07:24 PM
hey, yeah, thats not bad,

hmm, as for a centre channel, you could put the speaker on its side, with a small block of wood to keep it steady... yeah, one problem tho... how the hell do you control volume?

Grandpaw
12-21-2006, 06:35 AM
I don't know exactly what you are looking for but I would highly suggest going to one of the local stores with one of your CD's and listen to some Logitech X230 speaker before investing a couple hundred dollars. Don't let the price fool you, these sound pretty good to me and you will save a lot of money. It won't cost you anything to go listen to them and you just might be pleasantly surprised, Jeff

In the reviews one of them said to move up to the model Z2300 that lists for $109. you might also listen to one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_8/103-2473619-5943840?_encoding=UTF8&node=16268351