HD quality difference on same channel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD quality difference on same channel

Eric Z
11-27-2006, 10:09 AM
HDTV is new to anyone within my friends/family. Have any of you noticed difference in quality of HD programming on the same channel from show to show or sport to sport?

For example, my brother just picked up a Samsung 42" DLP TV over the weekend (good deal btw for $799) and I went over there to watch the Bears/Patriots game. The early game on Fox seemed pretty grainy and just so-so HD quality. Then when the Bears game came on, the quality was really good! My bro was using an HD antenna (not cable or satellite).

I'm thinking the HD quality on your TV depends on the quality of the equipment recording the games.

Thanks.
Eric

P.S. Many people have said it before, but now I agree- once you start watching sports on HD, you're going to be hooked.

edtyct
11-27-2006, 11:22 AM
The quality can vary according to the equipment used, from cameras to cables, but changes made during a cable or satellite tranmission can conceivably affect picture quality, especially when bandwidth is concerned. Don't forget also that not everything shown on HD channels is true HD. Some of it is upconverted--certain commercials, for example.