Audio Research Dual 75a [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Research Dual 75a

spyddie
11-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Anyone knows anything about this amp.

I got offered at $400 is that a good deal for a 30+ years old amp?

I haven't see the acutral thing yet but from the photo they look ok.

I did a search not much is comming up, how realiable are thoese vitage tube amp?

Thanks all

spyddie

E-Stat
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Anyone knows anything about this amp.
Oh yes. I remember first hearing one on Magneplanar Timpanis back in '74. It was among the state of the art in its day.

I got offered at $400 is that a good deal for a 30+ years old amp?
If the tubes are recent, that is definitely fair (complete retubing would run about $225). Adjusted for inflation, the amp would run for about $4300 today.

I did a search not much is comming up, how realiable are thoese vitage tube amp?
Audio Research remains one of the premier manufacturers of tube equipment. I bought my first ARC component twenty five years ago. Given the quality of the design and parts and because of the committment of the company to maintain them, it will last as long as you want it to. You may find this link interesting:

ARC Database (http://www.arcdb.ws/index.html)

rw

spyddie
11-27-2006, 09:29 PM
E-state,

Thank you for reply my question. The link you provide is pretty much what I can find on the internet. Since the amp is 31 years old what is the chance that something will go in near future and how about the caps? do they need to be replace, I heard they are not cheap at all. The tubes are not new but they are vintage also Made in U.S.A. I didn't take the deal after checking out the amp, I was quite disappoint at the sound, the owner sold his preamp already so he hooked up the amp with an ipot and the sound is flat, definately not what I expect from a tube amp. But the owner did say I can try it out in my own system, we'll see how it goes.

E-Stat
11-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Since the amp is 31 years old what is the chance that something will go in near future and how about the caps? do they need to be replace, I heard they are not cheap at all.
If the original owner(s) have not replaced anything, then I would expect to have to put some money in the amp in the near future. I recapped my 25 year old Threshold amp recently for about $80.

I didn't take the deal after checking out the amp, I was quite disappoint at the sound, the owner sold his preamp already so he hooked up the amp with an ipot and the sound is flat, definately not what I expect from a tube amp.

An Ipod? Consider the source. :)

rw

JoeE SP9
11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Listen to E-Stat. Expecting an i-pod to deliver sound worthy of an tubed ARC power amp is like expecting Brittany Spears to be able to sing Opera.:ihih:

squeegy200
11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Listen to E-Stat. Expecting an i-pod to deliver sound worthy of an tubed ARC power amp is like expecting Brittany Spears to be able to sing Opera.:ihih:

That's funny, I bet she'd be visually captivating as Carmen!

That's an awesome price for an Audio Research tube amp. It sells on the street for at least twice that amount. I'd buy that up in a second.

JoeE SP9
11-29-2006, 04:22 PM
That's funny, I bet she'd be visually captivating as Carmen!

That's an awesome price for an Audio Research tube amp. It sells on the street for at least twice that amount. I'd buy that up in a second.

That may be true, but without all the studio sweetening to her voice you would feel like you had been captured.:ihih:

2325fan
12-15-2006, 07:35 PM
id buy that in a heartbeat hell yea i would

JoeE SP9
12-16-2006, 08:41 AM
You would need something to protect your hearing.:ihih: