Genesis releasing 14 SACD Albums in 2007!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Genesis releasing 14 SACD Albums in 2007!!!

kexodusc
11-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Sweet - for those of us that only have'em on vinyl and, ugh, casette, I guess it'll finally be time to go digital. And who says SACD is dead? It's trooping along in a healthy, mild coma...
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11616317

I've "heard" all the Doors albums are coming to DVD-Audio, either in a boxed set or stand alone re-releases. Either way...that'd be nice.

Trying to think now, Porcupine Tree is the only current DVD-Audio endorser I can think of outside classical or jazz music...Is Genesis going to be the new SACD champion of rock? Guess proggy/artsy-rock fans like their hi-rez....

bobsticks
11-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Schweet!! I'll buy me all the Gabriel titles and probably Abacab. Good to see there's life in the old beast yet.

Mr MidFi
11-28-2006, 07:30 AM
What? No Seconds Out?
Bummer. But I'll prolly buy TotT. Again.

3-LockBox
11-28-2006, 08:43 AM
I haven't purchased an SACD player, and prolly won't. I re-purchased a number of titles years ago with the first wave of remasters. Can't afford to do that again.

Woochifer
11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Great news indeed. It looks like they'll work from the same remixes that engineer Nick Davis put onto Rhino's Genesis: Platinum Collection CD set from last year (only the tracks from albums up to and including the 1983 Genesis album were remixed on that particular collection). Compared to the original LP mixes, the new two-channel mixes widen the soundfield considerably, and have a thicker sound in general. But, overall the clarity is much improved, and it doesn't have quite as tinny a sound as a lot of Genesis' original early-80s issues. The 5.1 mixes should be very interesting because the low end has been bumped up quite a bit.

You should try downloading some of the songs (pre-Invisible Touch only) from that CD set if you want a preview of how Nick Davis' remixes sound.

Too bad Peter Gabriel's solo albums have already been issued onto single-layer two-channel SACDs. The DTS 96/24 tracks on his greatest hits DVD hint at how much room for improvement a multichannel treatment can provide to some of Peter Gabriel's albums.

Dusty Chalk
11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Actually, right around when Up and the remasters came out, Peter Gabriel said that he was going to revisit the earlier albums and do multichannel mixes.

Although he may have changed his mind.

Woochifer
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Actually, right around when Up and the remasters came out, Peter Gabriel said that he was going to revisit the earlier albums and do multichannel mixes.

Although he may have changed his mind.

I'm not sure what came out first, but Peter Gabriel's Play DVD has 23 songs remixed for 5.1. Gabriel's liner notes sounded like this was the first time he had his songs remixed for surround and was glad that Daniel Lanois was available to do the remixing. So, it doesn't sound like Peter Gabriel has had an ongoing remixing project going. Genesis apparently has been remixing their tracks since 2003, and that Rhino Platinum Collection is probably a two-channel mixdown from those remixed 5.1 tracks that come out next year.

I recall that Peter Gabriel's SACDs came out around the same time that the Police SACDs did. All of them were limited to two-channel, which might have been Universal's decision. I've read about other artists that have done 5.1 mixes and can't get their record companies to release them.

Dusty Chalk
11-28-2006, 09:51 PM
I think Play came out after the interview I read -- it may have been a compromise.

And I'm not sure whether he said that he'd do the remixes, or just that he wanted his material done in multichannel -- sorry, didn't mean to make that a sticking point. He was just excited about multichannel, that's what I remember.

Did a little bit of research, looks like it was in Hi-Fi+ magazine (http://www.hifiplus.com/issue24.html).

Another link (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-700776.html).

Dave_G
11-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Too bad PG and Steve won't tour with Genesis in 2007.

Ya'll do know the tour was announced, right?

Dave

shokhead
11-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Not a fan but i hope they turn out as good as the CCR sacds did. They sound really good.

BradH
11-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Too bad PG and Steve won't tour with Genesis in 2007.

Ya'll do know the tour was announced, right?

Dave

They asked Gabriel but he declined, of course. I forgot to check if Chester Thompson was going to be with them. They declined his offer to be the permanent drummer after Phil left. You'd think after 29 years a guy could get a permanent gig, no?

Dusty Chalk
11-30-2006, 01:16 AM
If you watch the press conference, they really (painfully) blew off Steve Hackett. They basically said that there were two iterations of Genesis -- the 5 piece with Peter Gabriel fronting, and the 3 piece.

Yes, Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermer are going to be in the live band (again).

And no, they're not doing Supper's Ready, neither.

kexodusc
11-30-2006, 04:46 AM
Cool, looks like I'm not the only one interested in these. Wonder what's on the dvd video stuff for each album? That could be cool.

Dave_G
11-30-2006, 05:42 AM
To be honest, I would prefer audiophile lp pressings in a pure AAA release as opposed to yet another round of digital reissues.

But I may look into getting Trespass and A Trick of the Tail.

Dave

BradH
11-30-2006, 07:33 AM
To be honest, I would prefer audiophile lp pressings in a pure AAA release as opposed to yet another round of digital reissues.Dave

Speaking of audiophile vinyl, I saw on Hoffman's site that he's working on Fragile for 180 gram. It just came out on MoFi gold disc too but I don't have it yet.

bobsticks
11-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Too bad Peter Gabriel's solo albums have already been issued onto single-layer two-channel SACDs. The DTS 96/24 tracks on his greatest hits DVD hint at how much room for improvement a multichannel treatment can provide to some of Peter Gabriel's albums.

Yeah, except that I would say "Too bad Peter Gabriel's solo albums have been issued onto single-layer two-channel, really bright sounding, poorly remastered SACDs".
IMO, Shaking The Tree was disappointing, on one hand hinting at the possibilities within the format with solid and sharp upper register sounds, and on the other falling flat with pedestrian remixing in the bass frequencies.

shokhead
11-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Speaking of audiophile vinyl, I saw on Hoffman's site that he's working on Fragile for 180 gram. It just came out on MoFi gold disc too but I don't have it yet.

I knew he was doing the lp but didnt know about the MoFi gold.

Dave_G
12-01-2006, 04:25 PM
To me,

The recent PG cd reissues are incredible. Deadly silent.

Dave