Yamaha RX 596 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX 596

starb
02-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Ok last week I bought a pair of Sony SS LA500ED speaker and the Sony SS 200 subwoofer, now I'm proceeding to get an audio receiver but I personally know that I do not need all the features on a home theater receiver, I'd rather sacrifice features for sound quality. But finding a stereo receiver that can accomodate a subwoofer as been quite the task, all the store I went to had no stereo receiver with an RCA SW input, I've been told that I would need to connect my sub via "high input" ??? (can someone enlight me on that).

Now here's another problem, the Sony SS200 SW only has stereo line in. So am I doomed to get a HT receiver or is there some other way for me to use a stereo receiver too.

I would really like to find a way with the Yamaha RX 596 cause it would probably be the best receiver I can get for my money.

Thanks,

Collin

IRG
02-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Ok last week I bought a pair of Sony SS LA500ED speaker and the Sony SS 200 subwoofer, now I'm proceeding to get an audio receiver but I personally know that I do not need all the features on a home theater receiver, I'd rather sacrifice features for sound quality. But finding a stereo receiver that can accomodate a subwoofer as been quite the task, all the store I went to had no stereo receiver with an RCA SW input, I've been told that I would need to connect my sub via "high input" ??? (can someone enlight me on that).

Now here's another problem, the Sony SS200 SW only has stereo line in. So am I doomed to get a HT receiver or is there some other way for me to use a stereo receiver too.

I would really like to find a way with the Yamaha RX 596 cause it would probably be the best receiver I can get for my money.

Thanks,

Collin

If you just want a 2 channel receiver with a sub out, look at the Denon DR395. It is 80 wpc, and has a sub out, perfect for what you want. Also the HK 2 channel receivers have a sub out, and pre outs for both channels as well. Nice features.

Other than these 2 receivers, I think you have to go with a HT receiver.

markw
02-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Many subwoofers have speaker level inputs (and possibly outputs as well) so you don't really need an "official" sub out jack on the back of the unit. Speaker levels work just fine.

Likewise, some receivers have a jumper on the back to allow separate uses of the preamp stage and the power amplifier stage. This is a fine place to insert a line level subwoofer.