Newbie- Buying BMWs for Music listening [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- Buying BMWs for Music listening

avgjoe
11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a pretty old Denon AVR-485 receiver and a Denon sub that came with that HT package. I would like to purchase a pair of BMWs for stereo listening. My room is relatively small (~190 square ft). What speakers would u suggest for the size of my room? I was looking at the DM602 S3 or the DM601 S3s but didn't know which one would be better. I went to a friend's and was blown away by his pair of BMWs. Though as this is my first time buying high end speakers, I am open to any suggestions for alternatives.

I'm on a budget. Thus, if you guys could also direct me to a relatively inexpensive amp to couple with the BMWs as well as what cables to use, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time!

anamorphic96
11-26-2006, 11:00 PM
FYI - The company is called B&W not BMW. :idea: :ihih:

Carl Reid
11-26-2006, 11:10 PM
First off: What's your budget for the integrated? I really like the sound of B&W and Rotel but I have no idea whether Rotel produces an integrated that is within your budget... another option would probably be to check out NAD.... they have a fairly wide selection of relatively inexpensive integrateds.... I own a NAD C352 that I used before I upgraded to Rotel seperates....

Secondly/finally: As another poster was so kind as to say... the company is B&W... but it's an easy mistake to make... since B&W and BMW sounds pretty much the same....

paul_pci
11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
I have 601s and am quite happy with them. I'm also considering getting the 602s and moving the 601s to the rear.For your purposes, if you have the money, go with the 602s. As B&W makes quite efficient speakers, I'd say that you could get away with either a Denon stereo receiver or a Cambridge integrated amp like they have at Audio Advisor:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA540AV2

They also have a NAD integrated for $399:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC325BEE

Remember, you don't have to go crazy with the amp to get good sound out of either the 601s or 602s.

avgjoe
11-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Wow I'm such a fool. I actually know it's B&W, Bowers and Wilkins, but I'm so used to saying B AND W that B 'n' 'W easily became BMW while typing. My mistake.

Nonetheless, regarding the speaker purchase, I don't intend on buying an amp along with the speakers. I'm going to try to just get a pair of either the 601s or 602s first and then later on when I have enough cash, I will proceed to purchase an amp if I feel necessary. Let me reiterate that I'm a novice. I don't regard myself as an audiophile. I just simply liked the way the B & Ws sounded.

However, one of my main questions was left unanswered. Obviously I assume the 602s sound better than the 601s. However, on the B&W site, 602s are recommended for medium sized rooms while my room is quite small on the other hand. What would you guys suggest? Save a bit more and go for the 602s or the 601s are enough for the space and type of novice listening I intend to do.

My budget btw is approximately $800 max and thus sadly whatever amp options were mentioned were too expensive. I don't believe my friend had an amp for his speakers. Rather I think he simply had them connected to his receiver (which I believe was an Onkyo or maybe a Denon) and his Denon 6 disc cd player. Anyway back to the point, being a student, cheaper is always better.

I would like to apologize for any ignorance demonstrated. As i stated, I'm new to this hobby. Thanks, everyone, for your input; it helped.

spasticteapot
11-27-2006, 08:24 PM
I would like to apologize for any ignorance demonstrated. As i stated, I'm new to this hobby. Thanks, everyone, for your input; it helped.

My answer for everything is almost always DIY. For small rooms, a pair of single-driver fullrange speakers and a $40 T-amp is a very good combination - high efficiency, low price, and surprisingly good sound.

anamorphic96
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I would say 601's since your room is so small. The 602's can be a bit overwhelming in small rooms. Besides if you need more bass in the future you can add a sub.

I was only being a smart ass above. Sorry if it came off wrong.

paul_pci
11-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm kinda torn on that question myself. For one, the 602s are not necessarily "better" as much as they should offer more bass than the 601s and theoretically a "fuller" sound. If you can find a good dealer with a generous return policy then try out the 602s on your room and if it is too much return them for the 601s. My room is 16'X12 and kinda think that the 602s might overwhelm the room, but on the other hand, it's a tempting upgrade. But I will say this: my 601s do fill the room for both music and movies quite well.

avgjoe
11-27-2006, 11:02 PM
anamorphic no hard feelings. I'm going to try to go to my local dealer and find out if he would be willing to do what you said paul. I do have a sub so as far as bass goes I think I won't have to rely solely on the 601s. Now it's the most important process now that I know what I want: gathering the necessary funds. ANyway, I would like to thank you guys for helping me out. It's greatly appreciated once again.

avgjoe
12-04-2006, 11:09 AM
What about the 604 S3, the 602.5 S3, and the 603 S3? Do you guys reckon these speakers are too much for my room? The thing is I don't want to use a sub with the two new speakers I get. Are there any alternatives to B&Ws. I'm willing to pay a maximum of $1000 for the whole setup. Though I'd prefer to shell out more on speakers and then later on add an amp and a DAC if need be. I'm the kind of person who tends to not spend money repeatedly but when I do buy something I want the best that I can afford. So right now, I'd rather spend a straight 1000 on speakers rather than getting an amp and all which can be added later...

basite
12-04-2006, 12:28 PM
hmmm, we have dm 604's at home they're really good speakers, although, a pair of those will exeed your budget, (the 604's are 1200$ or so, a pair), and for your room, they are HUGE,
the 603 will give you more bass then the 602's, but your room isn't big, so depending on which genre of music you are listening too, the 602's should do fine. But when you get the chance to audition them, do that, for both the 602's as the 603's.

Greetings,
Basite.

avgjoe
12-04-2006, 12:46 PM
sounds good. I guess it's going to be either the 602 or 603. Thanks guys!

wgriel
12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
avgjoe,

it might not be possible, but if you could get both of those speakers home and see how they do in your room it would really help you decide which works.

fwiw, I have 603s but in a considerably bigger room than yours. I've had them for just under a year now, and I'm still very pleased with them. In fact, I think I continue to like them more over time! Of course, I just added a turntable so I'm going a little crazy with vinyl purchases these days...

I also have a pair of the small DM600s in my kitchen and they are perfect for that space.

Cheers,

Bill

emorphien
12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
avgjoe, listen to everything before you buy something. You might find something you like better than B&W. I've never been a huge B&W fan, I usually find something I like better for the same or a bit less money. Some of their high end gear is fantastic, but even there I'd probably lean in other directions.

Wherever you have local dealers, go audition what they have and rule out those that really don't do it for you. Then if possible try your favorites (including the B&W) at home. You'll be much more satisfied in the long run I think if you really listen to everything, rather than just buying from a brand with a good reputation.

abulgan
02-20-2007, 01:39 PM
anyone tried DM602 bi-wired instead of single-wire?is there a noticable difference?(for stereo setup only)

texlle
02-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm in a dorm suite with my own bedroom and a common room. My other system in the common room is a new Sharp 27", B&W 603s2's, Cambridge A500 integrated, JVC 5-disc, Panasonic DVD, Mitsu VCR from 1992.

I gotta say, despite the thin walls and commercial grade school carpeting, I couldn't be more impressed with the sound that system puts out, whether I'm listening to a CD or watching a movie. I got the B&W's buy one get the other half off so the deal was great and I got the integrated amp from audioadvisor at their regular price ($350-400 I think it was).

Yeah people may describe the sound as bright or having a digitally-processed characteristic, but its a nice clean English sound, as both the speakers and amp have been described. If any one quality stands out about these speakers, it is their broad and deep soundstaging ability.

Btw, I recently bi-wired the B&W's since the Cambridge allows for it, and I did notice a difference in overall clarity and imaging. So if you can, bi-wire.

audio_dude
02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
okay... who's the wise guy that decided to dig up a thread thats more than 3 months old? abulgan...i'm looking at you right now.

please, next time, just create a new thread, is it all that much harder?

emorphien
02-20-2007, 02:42 PM
anyone tried DM602 bi-wired instead of single-wire?is there a noticable difference?(for stereo setup only)
Bi-amping, or bi-wiring? As far as I'm concerned bi-wiring is synonymous with "buy-wire" and isn't worth the effort or $$. Try it for yourself and keep an open mind, whatever you do.