Could I buy too much bass? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Could I buy too much bass?

zoltar
11-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I posted a couple of times about subs. I noticed HSU is having a sale. They have a 10" 200 watt, and a 12" 300 watt. I live in a house outside the city so I'm not going to offend the neighbors. But it's like, I don't need to shake the house. I have to order these on-line. I suppose if I buy the smaller one and don't like it, I could ship back, but I really don't want to do that. I don't mind getting the larger one, but if I can same some $$, that would work nicely! Any ideas?

markw
11-26-2006, 04:58 PM
It's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

Or. you can always turn it down, right?

zoltar
11-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Yes, you are right. I was just trying to save some $$ if I could! But I do not want to compromise. I don't want an earthquake to sound like a mud slide!

AudioBack
11-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Never go cheaper on the bass. A falling picture frame sounds alot better than a popping sub.

paul_pci
11-26-2006, 11:29 PM
I agree with Mark.Quality bass is no synoymous with volume, but if it does sound too loud, just turn it down.

BTW: my first sub was a cheapy KLH; turned it way up and it shook the kitched floor which is about 20ft away, figuring in a straight line. So again, quality bass, shaking the house, little to do with each other.

Worf101
11-27-2006, 05:36 AM
I have both a 12 and a 10-incher in my two systems. You'll never need another sub. Good value there. Unless your listening room is monsterous there's no need fo 2 subs. One 12 incher is more than enough for anything short of a ballroom...

Da Worfster

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
It's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.Another way to phrase it is, "you're not buying more bass, you're buying more headroom."