Grado Reference vs Denon DL103 vs Grado Black [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grado Reference vs Denon DL103 vs Grado Black

squeegy200
11-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Like Royphil345, I had been following a parallel path regarding cartridges. I had been using Grado Moving Magnet cartridges for a few months now and enjoying the experience.

However, I had the opportunity to audition a Moving Coil preamp and decided I might as well try it out. Since I did not have a MC cartridge, I decided to order the classic Denon DL103 from an online retailer in Germany. It was available, I'd read much about it, and it was inexpensive--$148

I received the cartridge just before Thanksgiving day. That did not give me much opportunity until the following weekend.

So this Sunday I did some extensive listening and A-B comparisons.

I setup two turntables
On a SystemDek IIX, I installed the Denon DL103 and configured it to spec using an ADC stylus alignment gauge and test record.

On an NAD 5125, I setup the Grado Black using the same stylus gauge and test record.

I would try both cartridges with at least two phono stages each.

Moving Magnet
1. I used a Bottlehead Seduction phono stage. It is a tube phono stage with a rating of 36db gain and 47.5k input resistance. It also has a non-adjustable load of 50pF

2. Phono stage of an Apt/Holman Preamp which has an adjustable cap load of 50-400pF. I tried each setting and settled on 100pF.

Moving Coil
1. Again I used the built-in step-up transformer within the Apt/Holman. The Denon recommends a capacitative load of 100pF or higher but I found it sounded best right at 100pF.

2. Micheal Yee Audio PFE-1 with adjustable gain and Capacitative load. (More on this later)

For the shootout-I listened to Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" track 2. The selection was "Bird on a wire"

First impression.
The Grado Black was by far the least capable of the two and was not in the same league when compared with the Denon moving coil. Sound stage was two dimensional and flat. It was unmusical and best described as "muted". It was so bad that my wife got up and walked out. Although there was some improvement with the AptHolman phono stage, I decided to remove the Black from competition and instead installed a Grado Reference Platinum on the NAD turntable.

Thru the Bottlehead Seduction, the Grado Reference Platinum was noticeably better than the Black. Although the Bottlehead lacked the High and low end, it had similar space to the Denon. The Bottlehead seduction was likely the least capable phono stage in this shootout. But I wanted to introduce some tubes into the mix to see if it added any spice to the mix.

A more equal comparison is using the internal Apt/Holman preamp between the two cartridges. The Apt/Holman preamp has two phono inputs making A-B comparisons easy therefore reducing any imagined differences that I may create while switching between the two. Using the same phono stage also allows level playing field for true A-B comparisons. That I found were that the dynamics and sound stage was comparable between these two cartridges. However the Denon DL103 was slightly larger space and captured low end dynamics better than the Grado Wood. I could now distinguish the delicate sound of wood blocks and triangles in the background where as with the Grado Black, you knew they were there but could not tell what was making the sound.

Finally, the ultimate experience was installing the Micheal Yee Audio Pfe-1 to the Denon DL103. A good friend graciously loaned the Pfe-1 for me to audition as I could never afford such a piece of equipment. The Pfe-1 has 60db of gain and is adjustable in every imaginable way. But I decided to leave it at default which was 100pF cap load and 60db gain from its single output stage.

Using the Denon cartridge on a truly high-end phono preamp really made this humble moving coil perform as designed. It is no wonder, this 40 year old design is still considered a classic. The sound stage enveloped the entire room in a way a multi-channel setup would. The extreme lows and highs were smooth, clear, and distinguished. Each tiny percussion instrument had tangible position in the room and the decay made me visualize the size of the recording studio. I had never heard such dynamics from vinyl and the smoothness of the overall presentation was impressive.

I've recently listened systems equipped with cartridges costing $2-3k and this humble $148 Denon DL103 (if properly matched to the right phono preamp) in my opinion is in the same league.

I've since listened to numerous other LPs doing the same comparisons which have served to reinforce my initial conclusions.

Now I want to audition the Grado Reference using a true high-end MM preamp that is in the same league as the Pfe-1. I may get the opportunity to test an EAR very shortly. I'll report here if I do.

BTW: If any of you are in Southern California, your are welcome to come by and give it a listen. ;)

jrhymeammo
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I think you mixed alot of different factors into your comparison to say which is better/worst. But I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank man, wish i was liveing in California. Caliphiles are always getting together, and it sounds like alot of fun.

I wonder if Grado is coming out with some new carts. I'm just saying this cuz their carts on MusicDirect catalogue is being discounted 10%. Not on their website though..

like what Joe said, things are old and still around, cuz they get it right. LOL!!

JRA

royphil345
11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Yep... That's pretty close to what I found with the DL-103R. I didn't write it quite as well... It does turn sounds that were easily ignored before into instruments that have their own character and are fun to listen to. All this added resolution from my previous cartridges, while overall smoothness and musicality is better at the same time. One of the few times I got everything I could have wished for out of a new piece of gear. Music sounds involving even when played at levels I can barely hear. It's interesting that the 103 made such a difference with my budget gear and still held up when combined with higher-end gear. Definitely seems like a must have for just about anyone with a higher-mass tonearm and less than $500.00 to spend on a cartridge.

Thanks for your thoughts squeegy!!!

The German guy you're talking about is probably William Thakker who has a fantastic price on the 103 http://stores.ebay.com/William-s-Stylus-Shop

Audio Cubes II in Japan has the best price I could find on the 103R http://www.audiocubes2.com/index.php

Somebody might find this thread someday while looking for a 103. Don't think it's against the rules to list a link for someone who gave us good deals and service.

squeegy200
11-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Whenever I purchase hardware, I always come to these forums to find links such as the ones you provide. I did indeed purchase my cartridge from William Thakker. He has a reputation for fast delivery across the pond. And the difference in price when compared to purchasing the same item domestically is outrageous.

I have not stopped experimenting since my last post. I found that the Michael Yee Pfe-1 also accommodates moving magnet cartridges. The documentation states that its low level DC circuitry makes it perfectly acceptable to make open case changes while in operation. NICE!

So I adjusted the input to 47-50ohms and tried my Grado Reference Platinum. No comparison. The Denon DL103 is a huge dramatic improvement with the Pfe-1 when compared to the MM Grado Reference. There is no synergy between the Grado and the MYA phono stage.

The best description I have is the Denon DL103 and the Pfe-1 combination removed the "veil" and revealed the music hidden underneath. It's truly a revelation.

The Denon DL103 with the Pfe-1 are simply awesome as a combination.

Even more astonishing when you consider the DL103 is a 40 year old design! ;)

jrhymeammo
11-26-2006, 09:40 PM
I may pick this up in Japan.
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/audio-square/1028144401.html
AT33PTG
it's 27,899 yen(about $230) they have one in 40th anniversary. kinda like 103R and 103, no way in hell I'm paying $525ish

I wouldnt make sense if I dont pickup Japanese cartridge in Japan. I just wish I could get a Shelter 501mk2 for $350... I'm dreaming.

royphil345
11-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Looks like a very nice cart. Especially if you can get it for around $230.00. Audio Cubes II has that one for around $100.00 more. All the specs (in English... LOL) and a couple user reviews there. Has Audio Technica's micro linear stylus with 1000 hour life. Would be a nice souvenir to bring back!!!

Wonder how much wear I'll get out of my spherical stylus with higher tracking force on the 103? Haven't been able to find an estimate of that on the web. I usually err on the side of safety as far as stylus replacement goes. Tossing 103s prematurely would get expensive though. A retip seems like it would cost as much as a new cart. Denon doesn't seem to have a trade-in policy. Although, you do seem to get quite a bit for your money...

basite
11-27-2006, 08:16 AM
I may pick this up in Japan.
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/audio-square/1028144401.html
AT33PTG
it's 27,899 yen(about $230) they have one in 40th anniversary. kinda like 103R and 103, no way in hell I'm paying $525ish

I wouldnt make sense if I dont pickup Japanese cartridge in Japan. I just wish I could get a Shelter 501mk2 for $350... I'm dreaming.

that is a good looking cart, and (i've looked up the specs, in english) it looks like it will sound even better than in looks, i still don't know what they mean by 'dual moving coil' though, anyways, hope you'll get it real soon,

way to go JRA!

Keep em spinning,
Basite.

squeegy200
11-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I summarized my experience to the friend who loaned me the Pfe-1. Only then did he tell me that the sample I was auditioning was highly modified by an electronics technician in consultation with the Micheal Yee factory engineers. That may explain its lackluster performance when used with the MM Grado Reference in 47k ohm mode. But it sure makes the MC cartridges sing like nothing else. I now find it difficult to listen to any of my other sources. The Pfe-1 makes them inferior.

The news saddened me to know that I could never buy one of these and replicate the sound if I chose to do so.

I listened to a GRP recording of David Benoit last evening. The Denon with the Pfe-1 simply involves the listener even at low listening levels.

The best news was my friend told me his current setup has a noise issue and that he would be unable to use the pfe-1. He told me to continue using it until his issues are resolved!

Invitation is open to any of you audio enthusiasts who want to give it a listen. ;)

royphil345
11-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Invitation is open to any of you audio enthusiasts who want to give it a listen. ;)

Be careful what you wish for squeegy... Southern California is going to look pretty tempting when it starts snowing here... If I show up, getting rid of me might become a problem... LOL

squeegy200
12-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Be careful what you wish for squeegy... Southern California is going to look pretty tempting when it starts snowing here... If I show up, getting rid of me might become a problem... LOL

Come on by. The pizza and beer would probably run out before we got thru all the LPs. So we can always order out and have more delivered. ;)

I talked with my friend and he offered to sell me the phono stage. His asking price was well below street price I've seen for an unmodified unit that recently sold on Audiogon. So this will be around for you to audition anytime you like. And if you bring your 103R, I've got a couple of tables we can experiment with!

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I talked with my friend and he offered to sell me the phono stage.

I knew it!!! I wanted to post about that, but I was afraid I'll make myself sound like your friend is tricking you. Obviously you werent tricked, cuz this is something you wanted. If I could somehow buy Denon DL-103R-SA in Japan, I would like to invite myself over to this party.:cornut: But DL-301II for $200 seems like a better match.

JRA

squeegy200
12-01-2006, 04:14 PM
I knew it!!! I wanted to post about that, but I was afraid I'll make myself sound like your friend is tricking you. Obviously you werent tricked, cuz this is something you wanted. If I could somehow buy Denon DL-103R-SA in Japan, I would like to invite myself over to this party.:cornut: But DL-301II for $200 seems like a better match.

JRA

Bring the DL301 right over!

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Wont it be great if we had tremendus amount of trust in each other? So, we can just ship our carts, and experience them for about a week? We are not talking about Koetsu/Lyra/Shelter here, but sounds kinda scary....

squeegy200
12-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Wont it be great if we had tremendus amount of trust in each other? So, we can just ship our carts, and experience them for about a week? We are not talking about Koetsu/Lyra/Shelter here, but sounds kinda scary....

I wouldn't trust myself with your equipment either. I was setting up a cartridge the other day on my MG-1 linear tracking tonearm. I made every attempt to be patient and careful but still broke the headshell in the process of installation.

I was infuriated with myself but I cannot imagine how I would have felt if that were YOUR piece of equipment.

I had posted in another thread my rhetorical questions regarding how one, without the luxury of wealth, could audition some of these fine items. Everything in Audio is personal taste. What sounds good to one is junk to another. And the only true test is to audition in the environment where you would use it. But most of us can't buy and try. Its just not economically feasible. For most of us, we have to rely on magazine reviews and word of mouth. Or have gatherings to share equipment or the graciousness of friends who let you listen to their systems or borrow their equipment. Audiophile clubs are few and far between. I'm fortunate enough to have both. But most do not.