good am/fm antenna [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : good am/fm antenna

herm0016
11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
I am looking for a good antenna to hook to my receiver, i have a coax input 75 ohm for am/fm and a spring clip input for am. looking to not spend too much. i see that there are a lot of different options out there and would like to know what you use. thanks.

markw
11-26-2006, 12:54 PM
AM is usually satisfied by a plain old long wire, stretched out as long as it can go.

FM is a different creature. A lot depends on how far you are from the stations, in what direction it is (or they are). But, be aware that those tiny, indoor plastic miracle promising powered antennas disappoint ...big time.

If you are close, a simple $4.00 folded dipole, available at at RatShack. Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart will suffice.

If you need more distance you can look at these, assuming you can mount 'em outside.

http://www.antennacraft.net/FM.htm

I use the FMSS omnidirectional since I'm surrounded by statiuons and and am more than satisfied. The FM 6 is directional and will pick up further stations, but only in one direction.

If you need evenmore distance, they are available. just ask. Search on "APS antenna"

Mike Anderson
11-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Keep in mind that reception will depend heavily on your location, regardless of how good your antenna is.

I used to live in an area that had fantastic reception despite having a crappy antenna. I moved to my present location about a year ago, and now I can't pick up a decent signal to save my life. And I spent a fair amount trying out high quality antennas, to no avail.

It all worked out for the best though, as I've transitioned to Internet radio as a result. It's a vastly superior medium, and I can get just about any radio station I want. If you have a high-speed Internet connection, I highly recommend it.

hifitommy
12-09-2006, 10:04 PM
go to ratshack, get the $20 fm roof antenna and mount it on the roof, aim to the area that gives the best reception from your fave station; either strap to chimney or whatever otyher mount you desire. the am, follow the advice about a long wire.