rewiring the turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : rewiring the turntable

basite
11-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Hi, I'm sick of the cable on my luxman pd282 tt, but i can't unplug it, because it's fitted to the tonarm cables,
now, i want to replace the cable (couple of reasons: the contacts are ruining my amplifier inputs (too stiff), they are oxidated, and they are kindof standard (like those crappy cables you get with cheap things)).

what i wanted to do (at least, let my dad do it), is removing the cable from the tonarm cables (by cutting them or so) then solder the tonarm cables to some decent rca sockets, which we will then mount at the back of the tt, so i can plug in a cable and still have the possebility to upgrade them.
i think i can't remove the tonearm cables because the tonearm itselves has got a removable headshell, which means that there are metal contacts in the tonearm, which are not removable (i think)

there are some things that bother me though, I opened up the tt, to see what i have to do, and the cables were under a metal 'covering' (shown in the first picture), would it have any function, or is it just there, and if it haves an important (ish) function, how do i solve it?
and are there any things we should look out for??

any suggestions?
thanks in advance,
Basite.

JoeE SP9
11-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Your plan sounds good. The metal plate is there as an RF shield that's why it has a ground wire on it. You should replace it when you are done changing the cable. Just use short jumpers from the terminal strip to the plate where the RCA's are mounted. You have to use extreme care in the de-soldering soldering process because the wires from the tonearm are rather fragile. Continue using the terminal strip. The tonearm wires and jumpers need to be firmly soldered to it.:idea:

jrhymeammo
11-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Not sure how much you'll benefit from rewiring, but if you are going to do that, might as well get a tonearm wire from Cardas. This has been on my mind too, but I would have to get a professional to do it. It doesnt make sense for me to spend alot of money on a $449 TT. I'm certain that I would benefit from a different pair of IC, but getting a different cart would impact my sound alot more.
audioasylum might be the best place for you to ask about TT tweeks.

JRA

basite
11-30-2006, 12:05 PM
I've made up my mind, and said to myself: Bert, if you want something to happen, do a full rewire.

so that's the thing i plan to do :)
i still have to find some things out, but i'm pretty certain on what to do, and where i can find it.

for the moment (most likely to be the final choice) my choice of equipment goes for Van Den Hul,
more specifically these ones.

the rca sockets:
http://www.vandenhul.com/other/c-connec.htm#RCA-CHASS

(there is an image, it's the panel socket.)

and the tonearm wire,
http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/mcs-150m.htm

also from Van Den Hul,
i haven't chosen the interconnect yet, but i think it will be or Van Den Hul, or MIT, or something else.

Anyways, what do you guys think?
and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Basite.

JoeE SP9
11-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Do it slow and easy. Do all the mods/rewiring at one time to minimize TT down time. Get a new cartridge and mount it in a new headshell. Keep the old headshell and cartridge. Audition your mods with the old headshell and cartridge. When you are sure you are satisfied and think it sounds better then and only then try it with the new cartridge. Good luck and have fun.:cool:

basite
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
the cart will be for around xmas, could be that i'll ask for a new counterwheight, since the current one is a 'modified' technics, but the diameter was too small, so i had to widen it, and by doing that, it's harder to adjust it.

jrhymeammo
12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
I love would to see and hear about each steps you and your dad will be taking. Best Luck to you Bastie.

JRA

basite
12-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Thanks JRA,
tomorrow i'll go for the things i need, and i will make photos of everything i do.

Keep Them Spinning.
Basite.

Bernd
12-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Hi basite,

Good luck with the project. And like Joe said take great care in what you do and take your time.
Just one point of suggestion. In my opinion the vdh cables are just ok. I would go for the Incognito rewire set. Made by Cardas and is one hell of a great upgrade. Just a thought.
Have fun and I am looking forward to read your progress.

Peace

Bernd:16:

basite
12-02-2006, 09:19 AM
one question, before i forget,
i opened up the tt again, to make sure that i know what i will be doing, and there are 6 wires (blue, green red white and 2 black ones) coming out the tonearm i know where the colored ones are going, but to what are the 2 black ones connected? they are the ground i think, but i don't know where they are coming from.
does anyone know?

Thanks, Basite.

jrhymeammo
12-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I can't help you with that Bastie. But take as much time as you can with this. Conduct as much research as you can, then get to wiring. The last thing you want is to have records with nonfunctional TT. That would drive me nuts.

Once I get some time, I can openup my Marantz TT I have and see if I can be any help.

For now, I would hold off on any materials to be purchased.

JRA

basite
12-02-2006, 09:40 AM
hmm, the green and the blue wires in are the grounds ( - ) it could be that the 2 black ones are connected to the blue and the green one.

basite
12-02-2006, 12:12 PM
i think i have it figured out, the 2 black cables are connected to the beginning of the colored cables (the blue and the green ones) (in the tonearm) and then they go through the tonearm to the mounting plate, i found some usefull information here,

http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar_rewire.shtml

i'm expecting kindof the same interior for the luxman,
so the rewire is going to be done Really soon...
i'll post pics when i finish doing the rewire, or when i'm stuck and i need help :)
it could be that the cables have to be ordered, in that case, the rewire will be for somewhere next week...

Greetings,
Basite.

basite
12-03-2006, 08:42 AM
no wires yet, i went to the dealer who used to sell Van Den Hul things, but they don't sell them anymore because the importer was 'impossible to work with' but he did say that there were 2 other shops around there that did sell them, bad news is that i would still have to ordered, and next weeks, there are exams (darn exams),
which means the nearest chance to get my cables is around xmas, which is in 3 weeks or.
but, whatever happens, I WILL GET NEW CABLES!!!

greetings,
Basite.

(btw, while i was in the shop, i couldn't help myself, and bought the shure force gauge)

JoeE SP9
12-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally I wasn't going to say anything because cables are so very user subjective. However, I agree with Bernd about the Incognito wiring. If that is out of consideration then something other than the vdh should be considered. I've never been all that impressed with vdh cables. Once again good luck!:cool:
BTW: The Shure stylus gauge is a good thing to have. Mine is more than 30 years old.

basite
12-03-2006, 09:55 AM
the cardas or the incognito wire are not out of consideration,
i just want seperate cables, like the vdh ones, the guy at the shop said there were other cables like these, but they cost alot, too much actually, anyways, i'll look some more for other things, the dealer also haves cardas, so,

the Shure stylus gauge has just performed a wonder, it's really a must have.

Keep them spinning.
Basite.

jrhymeammo
12-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey Bastie, I probably love your TT as much as you do. It's defiently worth tweaking. But as I've said, you probably should go all out. to get a dramatic difference. I understand that money isnt just flowing in right now for you. But, I'm wondering if you'll benefit from a different deck. I dont know anything about your Luxmun, so it could possible be better than $1000 TTs. I just wanted to point out that rewiring will not improve wow &flutter or S/N of your deck. But improved sounds stange and enjoyment might be great. After all said and done, if the cost of tweaking is close to a cost of a new TT, then I would have to thinking about it a ibt more. Just a thought.

Best Wishes

basite
12-04-2006, 12:02 PM
thanks for the wishes JRA,

i found some specs, wow & flutter is 0.03% max, s/n is no less than 60.
for a 1978 tt, that are quite impressive specs, especially the wow & flutter,
and apart from that, it's beautifull, anyways, here are the rest of the specs.

ULTIMATE HIGH FIDELITY STEREO COMPONENT
Luxman PD-282
DIRECT-DRIVE TURNTABLE WITH TONEARM
Lux are proud to announce the release of the new Luxman direct drive turntable PD282 at a price which enables this excellent unit-to be enjoyed with even a modestly priced System.
Direct drive is recognized as the ideal method of rotating records for stable playback with minimal wow and flutter.
lt eliminates many defects to which belt and rim drive turntables are prone.
The modern direct drive System employed in the PD282 is controlled by an electronic circuit which ensures wow and flutter of less than 0.03% (wrms) and signal to noise ratio of better than 60d B.
This puts Luxman amongst the highest class turn tables available.
As a result ot the direct drive principle employed the incorporated speed variation allows accuracy of speed setting without affecting the ultimate performance possible.
The arm provided has extremely low bearing friction and comes with an ideal combination of simplicity and professional performance.
Such sophisticated devices as lateral balance, antiskating control, easy to read stylus pressure gauge, oil damp cueing are amongst the features provided.
As well all units carrying the Lux name finish is mmaculate.
The meticulous care paid to selection of material and construction of cabinet makes the PD282 resistant to external disturbance and Feedback.
The detailed precision in construction and appearance will ensure that your acoustic sensitivities and your aesthetic sensibilities will both be enhanced.
SPECIFICATIONS
PHONO MOTOR SECTION
Driving System: Direct-Drive System
Motor: AC-servo 6-pole condenser motor
Turntable platter: 30cm aluminium die-cast
Rotation: 33-1 /3 rpm, 45 rpm (2-speed)
Adjustable range of Rotation: ±4%
S/N Ratio: No less than 60dB
Wow & Flutter: no more than 0.03% W.R.M.S.
TONEARM SECTION
Tonearm: S-curve static balance type
Effective Length: 237mm
Overhang: 1 5mm
Cartridge Weight: 4g - 12g
Cartridge Height: 15mm - 20mm
Stylus Pressure: 0g - 3g.(direct reading)
Accessories:Inside-force Canceller, Lateral Balancer, Tonearm Elevation
CARTRIDGE SECTION : available an request.
Type: Audio Technica VM type
Optimum Stylus Pressure: 2.5g
Output Voltage: 2.7mV
Stylus for Replacement: Audio Technica PM51 2B or equivalent
ADDITIONAL FEATURES
Dust Cover: Detachable with free-stop hinge
Insulator: Height adjustable (Adjustable range l0mm)
Stroboscope: Indicated an the outer edge of the turntable-platter by means of neon
lamp
GENERAL
Power Requirement: AC 120V 50Hz or 60Hz for U.S.A. & CANADA model
AC 220V/240V 5OHz or 60Hz for Europe model
Power Consumption: 12W
Dimensions:471(W) x 175(H) x 351(D)mm +22mm for hinge
[18-7/12" x 6-2/3" x 13-5/6"]
Weight: Net 10Kgs (22 Ibs):

it's worth keeping and definatly worth tweaking, i'll buy myself a really good one once, but for now, the new cart (which is probably going to be the denon dl-103) and the phono preamp are on the list first.

Greetings,
Basite.

JoeE SP9
12-05-2006, 06:49 AM
You should really like the Denon DL-103. It's been around for a long time. There's got to be a reason for that.:ihih:

JohnMichael
12-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally I wasn't going to say anything because cables are so very user subjective. However, I agree with Bernd about the Incognito wiring. If that is out of consideration then something other than the vdh should be considered. I've never been all that impressed with vdh cables. Once again good luck!:cool:
BTW: The Shure stylus gauge is a good thing to have. Mine is more than 30 years old.

I have to agree with Bernd and JoeE SP9 about using the Incognito wiring. When you rewire a tonearm you want to make sure the wires do not create problems with the bearings at the pivot. If the wire is too heavy or pulled too tight you can have drag and increased friction in the tonearms movement.

basite
12-06-2006, 10:20 AM
i see...
incognito kit all good and well, but are they going to fit on my tonearm? i see they are designed for a rega like arm, and mine isn't a rega-ish tonearm, so,
and the price of course...

but, still, the vdh's are quite a pain to get, so, i'll see what i'll do, but first,

Exams...

question though,
since i'll be buying myself the denon dl-103 (it being a mc cart),
i'm going to need a phono pre,
there were 3 i had in my mind, these are the cambridge audio 640P, the Pro-ject phonobox mk II, or the nad pp2, which is the best one?

Bernd
12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
My young friend!

Incognito do two versions. One for Rega type arms and one universal one. Value for money is very good with this re-wire.

Peace

Bernd:16:

The project phono box ll would get my vote out of your list.