Groun Loop [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Groun Loop

PaDave
11-26-2006, 06:53 AM
I would like to know if anyone knows how to get rid of the ground loop problem that i have in my cable television? I noticed a humming coming from my Sub and did some research and i unplugged my cable line from the wall and the humming went away. Can anybody relate with a fairly inexpensive way to get rid of this problem, i did call my cable tv provider and they are going to come out today.

Mr Peabody
11-26-2006, 08:46 AM
If it is indeed a ground loop, the first thing usually suggested is a "cheater plug", an adaptor that goes on the end of your power cord taking it from 3 prongs to 2. It sounds more like you need to get some type of noise filter on the cable feed. On the less expensive side Monster Power conditioners usually provide at least one filter for cable and you can go up from there. If it's a true ground loop, they are very difficult to deal with. I've been told the Monster 2 or 3 stage conditioners work best. Good luck

icarus
11-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I had that a few years ago, my sub was humming once i turned off the TV and everything it drove me nuts, finally i decided to just plug into the back of my reciever so that when I turned my reciever off the sub would get turnbed off too. BUt if your using an amp and pre amp setup well that presents a new whole new problem

Mr Peabody
11-26-2006, 09:49 AM
I had that a few years ago, my sub was humming once i turned off the TV and everything it drove me nuts, finally i decided to just plug into the back of my reciever so that when I turned my reciever off the sub would get turnbed off too. BUt if your using an amp and pre amp setup well that presents a new whole new problem

Since your sub is supposed to be plugged into your receiver, I'm assuming you are talking about an A/V receiver, this makes me wonder where in the world you had it hooked to in the first place:) Using separates is the same, hook the sub into the "LFE" or "sub out" jack.

eisforelectronic
11-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Have the cable company check the ground block outside the house.

icarus
11-26-2006, 10:17 AM
haha I was refering to the actual power cord, not the sub cable.

Mr Peabody
11-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Well..... that explains that, LOL

Rock789
11-26-2006, 07:10 PM
don't ground the sub (the 3 to 2 prong adapter mentioned above), or a 120-120 isolation transformer... leave the secondary floating to eliminate a second ground in the system...

PaDave
11-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Ok, i have the sub on the LFE jack, I called the Cable company,they put in a new ground and that took the humming out thank you to all who helped.