Just Bought Receiver, Unable To Hook Up Equalizer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought Receiver, Unable To Hook Up Equalizer

laford1986
11-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Hello, I just found your site. I just bought a PIONEER 7.1 home receiver. I have an older KENWOOD 7 band equalizer that I would like to hook up. There are NO TAPE 2 ports on the receiver, so I cannot wire it as I did on my old receiver. I AM able to wire it through the DVD player only, not through all sources, such as radio, satellite, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JoeE SP9
11-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Use the tape 1 ports and connect your tape deck to the equalizer using the tape port on the equalizer.Just leave the tape monitor 1 activated and use the switch on the equalizer to enable tape play. You may not get a lot of sympathetic responses. Equalizers are not popular here. You may get asked questions like "why do you want to f*ck up your sound with an equalizer?".
Frankly I agree with those sentiments. Most of the posters here have found that equalizers do more harm than good. A 7 band one doesn't have narrow enough bands to correct for room errors which is what an equalizer is supposed to be for. If you are using it as a glorified tone control that's your choice though.
In any case welcome to the site. You will find that everyone is not as blunt as I am.:cool:

AudioBack
11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
I think you're totally screwed on that deal. Tape loops do not effect digital sources. Unless you have everthing hooked up with 2 channel RCAs, the tape loop route is useless. If you really wanna hook this thing up you should search for a reciever with pre-main couplers. I actually found a Harmon\Kardon that had pre-main couplers for every single channel. It was 800 bucks at the time and sounded like crap due to it being a H\K. I'm with JoeE. Ditch the EQ, and buy better sounding speakers if you don't like the sound you currently have.