$600 for main speakers and center channel - advice? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $600 for main speakers and center channel - advice?

R332
11-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Hello HT experts,

I am trying to put together a very basic home system for watching movies and occasionally listening to music. I have a few year old Denon 5.1 receiver (70Wx5 IIRC), a Paradigm powered 12" sub and some rear surround speakers but I still need the front/main/stage (whatever you call them??) speakers and a center channel.

My budget for these three items is ~$600 (new or used). Can someone please suggest some brands or models that I should consider?

I should also ask - since this will be such a basic, low-budget system should I even be concerned with the brand or will all this less expensive stuff be pretty much the same?

Thank you for much for your time :)

paul_pci
11-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Even at this budget, you could still find decent offerings in the brand name arena. Consider Polk, Infinity, Energy, and Paradigm. I think PSB and Boston Acoustics might have offerings in your budget, but not entirely sure. Good luck and try to audition each brand that fits your budget so that you'll be satified with your ultimate choice.

R332
11-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the reply! I would be great if I could get Paradigm front speakers and a center channel to match my sub! I had no idea they were available in my price range!

Would a small set such as the Paradigm Mini Monitors have large enough drivers for the main front speakers or do you need something like the Monitor 9s to sound good. My room isn't very large...

On second thought the Paradigm Performance Series might be closer to my budget. Is there a good on-line source for these?

Rock789
11-26-2006, 07:13 PM
the paradigm's would be nice, esp since you already have paradigm for your rears...
best to goto a store, but you can find these on ebay or audiogon usually
if you are looking for something else in your price range, the focal jm lab chorus s 705 and cc70 would be a nice set in your price range although the chorus s 706 and cc700 would be a bit nicer...