Dynaudio Focus 220 vs Gallo Ref 3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dynaudio Focus 220 vs Gallo Ref 3

eisforelectronic
11-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Any thoughts on these particular models or on Gallo sound vs Dynaudio sound in general?

amandela77
12-18-2006, 06:05 PM
I heard the Gallo Refs in a local Chicago retailer's showroom and came away disappointed: recessed midrange, rolled-off highs. Imaging was excellent, but the speaker's great depth portrayal seemed to result from the recessed midrange and treble regions I mentioned.

Part of the problem no doubt stemmed from the placement of the speaker in a very large room. Still...

I have long been a Dynaudio fan, especially of the discontinued Contour 1.8mk II, for which the Focus 220 is the contemporary replacement. Great imaging, very natural tonal presentation, tight, tuneful bass, crsip, airy highs, and a natural midrange balance. Check out a very favorable review in the Absolute Sound that appeared about 5-6 months ago.

Amandela77

topspeed
12-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I've heard the Ref3's driven by Theta gear and was impressed. Based on amandela's review, it sounds like they are particular about the room they are in as this room wasn't all that big, maybe 12' x 16'. In that setting, these diminutive speakers were surprisingly robust. The tweeter is neutral, reminding me not at all of the horrid piezo tweeters of my youth. The mids were also quite neutral, and bass is strong. The sound is cohesive and musical. It's a good speaker that apparently needs the right room and front end.

I have never been a fan of the Danes, but to be fair I've not heard the newer offerings. My last extended encounter was with the Evidence Temptations w/ a Krell front end. I wouldn't say it was nails-against-the-chalkboard, but for my taste it wasn't far off. I actually thought something was wrong but here I was in a dedicated and treated listening room specifically for these speakers. Cold, calculating, and completely without emotion was my impression. These were not speakers that drew you into the music. They just played it. We tried warming them up with a Sunfire amp but to no avail. You should know, I prefer warm, "tubey" sounding gear, and there are a lot of members here that I respect that swear by Danes. I'm just not one of them.

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I'd go for the Gallos. I have a friend who has a pair that I get to listen to just about every weekend, and they're exquisite.

emorphien
12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I listened to the Gallo Ref 3 somethings almost a year ago now and thought they threw a nice soundstage and had a satisfying, full sound with a lot of dynamic power. They're also quite attractive without that silly grill contraption on top.

I did find that they were very sensitive to having the tweeter on or near the same horizontal plane as your ear so I think they may need to stand on top of something to sound their best.

Unfortunately I have not heard anything from Dynaudio, but I would like to.

BillyB
12-21-2006, 07:30 PM
I auditioned the Dynaudio Focus series and I thought they were outstanding speakers.They are fairly neutral and Dynaudio has always been an extremely well made speaker using state of the art drivers and excellant cabinet quality.I didn't buy them simply because they were slightly higher than my price range but they were certainly my taste as I like accurate speakers that aren't bright.I haven't heard that particular Gallo model but they do have an excellant reputation.Good luck with your final decision as this stuff is very subjective and good results are never a given with audio equipment.

eisforelectronic
12-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the responses. I think I may be leaning towards the Focus 140's instead of the 220"s. I'll be able to save a little bit of money and would be adding a sub anyway, of course.