Hello good people....... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello good people.......

Foggy
11-25-2006, 07:00 AM
First post though I've lurked awhile.

Interesting board, some of you have similar tastes in tunes as me.

Can't really think of anything much to contribute but I'd like to ask for some assistance if I could.

I sort of try to stay current with alternative music of certain strains but really don't do a good job of it.

To prove that, the last 2 current albums I've purchased were Feast of Wire by Calexico, and Street Core by the departed Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros.

Other stuff I like would be Son Volt, British Sea Power, Jayhawks, Interpol, Cranberries, Radiohead, ect, ect, ect........

I guess that will give a basis to work or laugh with.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Foggy

kexodusc
11-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Hey dude, welcome aboard.
Don't think anyone here will laugh at you for your musical preferences...I try not to criticize most people's taste in music - I still have a denim jacket with Savatage, Dokken and Warrant iron-ons somewhere so I'd be one to talk - musicians are fair game though. The way I see it, the more people here the better. Hey you might get introduced to a lot of great music here.
A lot of prog rock fans in this forum - bands like Rush, Yes, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Genesis, and the revered Porcupine Tree (who you may dig if you like Radiohead) get brought up a lot.
I'm leaning more towards the Jazz and Classical sections these days, myself, not cause I'm tired of rock, but more because there's a much larger catalog of music I haven't heard before. Easier to find high quality stuff.
Anyway, look forward to hear about what your listening to...

Foggy
11-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the welcome Kexodusc,

I agree, it's fruitless to judge peoples taste in music. Lord knows plenty could find fault with mine.

You know at one time I listened to Rush quite a bit, and still breakout Pink Floyd's Animals from time to time.

You better watch out, there may be dogs about.

Wireworm5
11-25-2006, 08:18 AM
You have more to contribute than me. I'm a 70s,80s hard rocker and electronic new ager. I've started branching out on some of this newer head banging stuff, some of its good but most of it sucks.
When playing my music for my ex-girlfriend, her kids said my music 'Sucks!!' So I feel like a dinasour, I'm from the past, I can't relate to the younger generation's taste or lack of, in music.

Foggy
11-25-2006, 08:31 AM
70's rock eh,

You like The Who much?

Quadrophenia is one of my all time favorites.

jrhymeammo
11-25-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm from the past, I can't relate to the younger generation's taste or lack of, in music. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that DubDub, my first LOL of the day.

I never cared for the Who, except for Quadrophenia. But one of my favoriote rock albums on late is Rough Mix by Ronnie Lane and Pete T. Maybe you wanna check it out.

http://server3.myebiz.com/markcote/library/PeteTownshend.jpg

JRA

oh and welcome to AR.

Foggy
11-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Hmmm.....

Might just have to look into that, it sounds interesting.

Thanks for the heads up.

The Who or what's left of em have a new album out or it's ready to be released. Anyway I'll probably buy it but I'm apprehensive about it.

Slosh
11-25-2006, 10:27 AM
If you haven't already download the Wilco concert from the "Lookie What I Found" thread a bit down the page. That'll keep ya busy for a while. :)

Jim Clark
11-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Man you showed up just in the nick of time. The year end "Best Of 2006" comps are just around the corner. Based on your excellent taste, there will be a TON of stuff you'll love. Hope your wallet can back up everything you find by the end of the year.

Hold on tight - you're in for a ride very shortly.

jc

Foggy
11-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Not real sure I follow Jim?

Jim Clark
11-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Not real sure I follow Jim?

A lot of us make a CDR compilation of some of the best tracks from our 2006 music purchases, hence the "Best of 2006". Just a way to show how cool we are and a way to hear a bunch of stuff that we may have missed along the way. There's always several tracks I hear that send me scrambling back to the record store. Usually we post the track list and ask who wants one and mail it off to whomever requests it. This year, I suspect that there will be some downloadable .flac offerings as well. Gets it to the listener sooner, avoids the nasty mp3 conversion, and is cheaper to boat. The key is to bone up on what a .flac file is, how to convert it back to .wav and how to burn it to CDR. Music misses a great deal played back on a pc, it must be burned and played on the big system for full impact.

There a quite a few folks here who's taste is probably similar to yours in a lot of ways so there's bound to be quite a bit that will grab you. Just make sure to steer clear of the proggers : )

jc

Dave_G
11-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Foggy,

Beware of these compers, next thing you know you will have 12,345 cdr's in your mailbox!

Lots of music trading via CDR gets done all over the place, it's pretty cool, actually, I have learned a lot from the people who post here on a regular basis.

By the way, the best comps are made by proggers!

But of course you only get 1 song per cdr!

Dave

Foggy
11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
A lot of us make a CDR compilation of some of the best tracks from our 2006 music purchases, hence the "Best of 2006". Just a way to show how cool we are and a way to hear a bunch of stuff that we may have missed along the way. There's always several tracks I hear that send me scrambling back to the record store. Usually we post the track list and ask who wants one and mail it off to whomever requests it. This year, I suspect that there will be some downloadable .flac offerings as well. Gets it to the listener sooner, avoids the nasty mp3 conversion, and is cheaper to boat. The key is to bone up on what a .flac file is, how to convert it back to .wav and how to burn it to CDR. Music misses a great deal played back on a pc, it must be burned and played on the big system for full impact.

There a quite a few folks here who's taste is probably similar to yours in a lot of ways so there's bound to be quite a bit that will grab you. Just make sure to steer clear of the proggers : )

jc

Hey, that does sound interesting!

How does one participate or at least take advantage of the opportunity/

Take care Jim.

Foggy

Foggy
11-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Foggy,

Beware of these compers, next thing you know you will have 12,345 cdr's in your mailbox!

Lots of music trading via CDR gets done all over the place, it's pretty cool, actually, I have learned a lot from the people who post here on a regular basis.

By the way, the best comps are made by proggers!

But of course you only get 1 song per cdr!

Dave

So what passes for prog rock these days Dave?

When I think of prog I think of the Moody Blues & Pink Floyd which I both like.

Foggy

Dave_G
11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Pink Floyd is definitlely in there.

Moody Blues - maybe, probably.

But mostly it's Genesis, Yes, Rush, Marillion, IQ, Pallas, The Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree, Camel, Spocks Beard, Transatlantic, Karmakanic, Jadis, Ines, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, IZZ, Steve Hackett, and a ton of others.

Dave