Building a sub from parts from Parts Express [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Building a sub from parts from Parts Express

yogo
11-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I've previously bought the 12" Quatro and the 240 watt sub amp from Parts Express and am very happy with them in the ported cabinet they're in but...

The Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" sub is now for sale for $102.00. I am planning on building a sealed cabinet for it and was wondering which Parts Express sub amp would be suitable for my needs.

The Quatro has an SPL of 93 db and the RS has an SPL of 89. Plus the RS will be in a sealed cabinet as opposed to the Quatro is in a ported cabinet. I imagine I'll need an amp with at least twice the power of the 240 watter to achieve the same volume levels as I am used to. Currently running the Quatro and 240 watt combo at about half volume.

The room it will be in is 15 by 15 by 8 with a few door openings. The 240 watter and the Quatro are suitable volume wise but I believe the sealed RS sub may have an overall better sound.

I am using a Beringer Feedback Destroyer for LF eq.

The sub: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-464&ctab=3#Tabs.

The amp choices:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=25&ObjectGroup_ID=505

Would the Bash Digital 500 watt sub do the trick? I don't want to spend $300 on an amp.

I did order Vance Dickensons Loudspeaker Cookbook to determine cabinet dimensions.
It's up to version 7 but Madisound has version 6 for 11 bucks.

JoeE SP9
11-25-2006, 12:06 PM
The Dayton 12" Titanic sub kit is $458. Box speaker amp and all needed accessories except cable. Why not just buy that and get everything ready to go. About 1 hour or so of assembly and you've got BASS! Their Titanic subs sound GREAT!:ihih:

yogo
11-26-2006, 02:27 PM
I've been wanting to learn to build my own cabinets for one.

Two, I believe the RS line of subs may be not as powerful but more refined, particulary in a sealed cab.

Third, the sub I describe should be about $150 cheaper including MDF. I imagine the labor and learning curve will get better with the more projects I make.

Don't know about that BASH amp though. I's a lot cheaper than the other 500 watter in the link above and I'm wondering what I may be losing if I buy it. Built in parametric's pretty cool but I do have the Beringer...

kexodusc
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
The Bash amp is a good match, the 500 watt if you can, but the smaller one will do unless you drive your subs hard.
The Quatros sound better than the Titanics, the RS line are step up still. If I already had a Quatro, I'd only consider the RS in Dayton's line.

yogo
11-27-2006, 08:44 AM
I was hoping you would chime in with your knowledge of the Dayton line.

macebanyon
11-30-2006, 06:24 AM
I have the RSS315HF-4 in a sealed 2.2f^3 cab with the HPSA-500 500w amp, and it ROCKS.
The 2.2 cab gives a system Q of around .65, which for me, is perfect for music. You might want to consider a smaller cab for HT applications. Somewhere around 1.6f^3.
You might also consider the OAudio 500 watt BASH amp. A great bargain at 240.00 shipped, plus some extras the Dayton doesn't have.:)

http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html