Best speakers for $1000 or less? (nt) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best speakers for $1000 or less? (nt)

neontuna
11-19-2003, 07:43 AM

JSE
11-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Floorstanders? Bookshelves? 5.1 set-up? 2 channel? What kind of music do you listen to? HT or Music or both?

neontuna
11-20-2003, 12:28 PM
every style of music. Thanks, n.

JSE
11-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Tuna, Can I call ya Tuna?

I ended up with Boston Acoutics VR965 floorstanders. They have built in sub in each. I really like the "laid back" sound they have and they seemed to do well with just about all types of music. I listen to a lot of Rock and R&B as well as some Jazz. I not trying to sell you on Boston, but they seem to do everything pretty well. I have them in a 5.1 setup but I bought them with 2-channel music in mind as well.

There are alot of good speakers out there under $1k. Look at Boston, Paradigm, Klipsch, PSB, Vandersteen, Axiom, Energy. I really liked the Energy C9 and C5. Listen to Vandersteen, you will either love them or hate them. I like them for music but felt they were a bit weak for HT.

Many will tell you this because it is true. Go listen to as many speakers as possible. I don't think there is a best out there for everyone. Buy what YOU like. If it sounds good to you, thats all that matters.

JSE

Bill L
11-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Maybe check out www.audiogon.com for someone selling locally and ask for an audition with your gear.

jmzais
11-25-2003, 04:38 PM
I Bought B&W 602 S3, work great for everything. Paradigm Monitor 7 was another i liked alot, but they seemed a little more HT then what i wanted.

bturk667
11-25-2003, 06:29 PM
You have to let your ears decide what speakers you should buy. Go out to as many audio dealers as you can. Make sure you bring your own CD's, as a point of reference, and go crazy. I use to take notes on all models that I woulkd listen to. Let your ears be the judge!

TinHere
11-25-2003, 09:56 PM

Checkout the Rocket 550's. You can only buy them direct online and without the middleman profit they are excellent value.

Here's a link.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=3.1

Here's a link to see if anyone in your area is offering in home auditions. If that doesn't work try posting at the AV123 forum and there might be someone nearby who isn't listed.

http://www.audioenvy.com/

Happy hunting.

neontuna
11-27-2003, 01:10 PM