Need a new upscaling dvd player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need a new upscaling dvd player

cam
11-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I will be getting a new Sony 60a2000 before year end and I will be needing a new dvd player. While this tv is 1080p capable, I'm just not ready to spend a grand on a blu-ray or 2nd generation hd-dvd player about to be released next month. I'm going to sit on the fence and wait and see what format wins. So in the mean time, I need a new dvd player. I have researched and have decided to get the Panasonic S77 or the Samsung HD960. Both will be no more then $250 Canadian which is max for what I want to spend since I figure that in 2 years I will be purchasing either a blu-ray or hd-dvd player at that time. The Panasonic upconverts to 1080i while the Samsung upconverts to 1080p. The Sony 60a2000 should de-interlace 1080i just as well as the Samsung will up convert to 1080p so I doubt there will be any difference. But maybe I'm wrong. This player is just needed to hold me over for 2 years, which one should I get?

bobsticks
11-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey cam,

First let me say I have no experience with the the HD960, so this is more of an observation than a recommendation. I own three of the HD841s, the precursor to the HD960. I have had them since the line's inception and have not had any problems, although there have been many issues reported on web reviews, My experience has been completely positive with the Samsung bang-for-the-buck unit.
That said, a Google search reveals a few things. First, being a first generation unit, Samsung put a bit more effort into te HD841. Those original models appear to have had superior DACs from what I have read. Evidently they have skimped on the audio in the newer models. Also, the 960 doesn't play SACD/DVD-A (this might be a deal-breaker for some). If it is an issue for you the Samsung HD1080 reportedly has superior audio functions in the aformentioned categories.
Both Samsung units and the Panny utilize Faroudja de-interlacing, so you can expect solid video out of all of them.
Just some food for thought...

Cheers

cam
11-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks bobsticks. The lack of sacd and dvd-a is not a deal breaker since I own none anyway. I just need a solid video performer to match with my soon to be purchased Sony 60a2000 SXRD tv without breaking the bank. I looked at the upscaling Denon players and at those prices I mine as well get an hd-dvd or blu-ray player. But I would hate to waste a grand getting the wrong new technology. I am leaning towards the Samsung HD960 since it sounds like a good performer with Faroudja de-interlacing and also it comes with an HDMI cable, but I probably can't go wrong with the Panasonic s77 since it has Faroudja also.

edtyct
11-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Cam,

Here's a thought. If price is the issue, why not consider an HD DVD player? From what you've said, whatever you buy this time around will be an interim player. An HD DVD A1 from last year, if you can find a good one (even refurbished), won't cost more than $350 or so, which is in the ballpark of a $250 legacy player, especially for someone who's about to drop at least $2300 on a Sony SXRD. What you'd get is a player that not only handles, and scales, legacy DVDs as well as most players but also one that actually plays hi def DVDs. The drawbacks would be that the Toshiba is painfully slow to start up and is a little quirky in other respects, but what you get in return is much more than what any regular DVD player at any price can do. And you can still think of it as disposable in the future without sacrificing much in the present. If it's true that Toshiba is losing as much as $200/per HD DVD player that it sells, you'd be getting one hell of a bargain. The KDS60A2000 will also love you for it. Upconversion of standard DVDs won't get you anything like HD on DVD. I haven't checked the A2000s much for processing capability, but from what I've seen, they may do a serviceable job of upconverting to 1080p on their own. Not that what I do should matter to anyone, but I'm not talking through my hat. I bought the Toshiba on those grounds, and the picture quality is superb. My Sony ES deck cost me a whole lot more for, arguably, a lot less of a reward.

Ed

cam
11-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply ed. I understand what you are saying but, If I buy the Toshiba entry level hd-dvd player, which sells for $500 Canadian, twice my price point, I would then be starting an hd-dvd collection. But what happens if I have 50 hd-dvd in my collection and all of a sudden hd-dvd is out and blu-ray is the in thing. That's why I am wanting a new upconverting dvd player for no more then $250 Canadian all while sitting on the fence. Now if it is true that the Sony 60a2000 can scale to 1080p just fine all by itself, then there is a lower line in the Panasonic and Samsung line-up that has HDMI upconverting abilities for $150 or regular progressive scan component video only dvd players for $99 that maybe I should be considering instead.

westcott
11-26-2006, 08:29 AM
I would not be so concerned about upscaling and just buy a DVD player like the 97 or 77 for its video quality. Your display should be more than capable of upscaling satisfactorily.

The Denon 2930CI is the new kid on the block and although more than $200, it should be the last DVD player you will ever need.

HD DVD or BR may look better than some peoples DVD players but can not compete with the better dedicated DVD players like Panasonic or Denon.