Yamaha or Pioneer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha or Pioneer

cain
11-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I am going to get a receiver to hook up to my Klipsch RF82s. I am looking at the Yamaha HTR-5960 or the Pioneer VSX1016TXVK. What receiver should i go with? the Yamaha is $499 an the Pioneer is $399

kexodusc
11-23-2006, 01:54 PM
No comparison. Get the Pioneer...That model actually shares chasis with a Pioneer Elite model. A step up on that particular Yamaha model, and cheaper. Maybe even try to get a cheap extended warranty with the money you save.
I posted a thread on my experiences withlast year's VSX-1015tx and the Yamaha RX-V1400 I owned last year...the 1015tx held its own no problem. The RX-V1400 is a step up on the HTR-5960. Thread was back in late January/early February if you're interested.

likeitloud
11-26-2006, 04:45 AM
I bought the vsx1015tx and kex's review helped sell it. I use vintage speakers that
are played loud, and for 6 months this unit was abused with no problems at all. The
auto-set up is easy, but as with all versions, needs fine tuning, also for a receiver
theres a very good amp. Have never come close to any clipping issues, and I tried.
Add pioneers honeycomb anti-vibration chassis, simple interconnect layout on the
back panel, big power, and you can't go wrong. Non-Elite pioneer stuff is a bargin,
and can hold its own with anything out there. I've heard the 1016, it has HMDI and
is slightly lower on power, 110wpc vs 125, but I say go for it.

kexodusc
11-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Yeah, about the power thing - wouldn't get too caught up on that, that's really more a result of tweaking the test to make the specs look how you want - the 1016 actually has a nominally larger power supply thant he 1015. Not enough to make a difference in volume I don't think. Both are pretty beefy for a receiver at this price.