Installing digital out - diy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Installing digital out - diy

jsmccray
11-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey All,

I have a Sony XA20-es, US version. It has a toslink, and I was wondering if it might be possible to make a digital out, RCA version - easily. I've taken this thing apart before and added an IEC power input, and added extra weights to the inside. I can solder, take some of the boards out, and am not afraid to go in depth with this, I'm just not sure what to do, and if it is even possible. Is this something where I can just splice some wires to a new RCA I can install to the back of the transport, or is it more complicated than that - something that should be left to more experience?

Thanks,

jake

spasticteapot
11-24-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm not familiar with that model, but if you can isolate the I2S signal, it's not too hard. (Or, you can get a Toslink/spidf adapter.)

If you want to upgrade the DAC, your best bet is to just wire one internally. Many CDPs use an I2S serial audio signal, which is easily fed to a variety of high-quality DACs. Why bother converting it from I2s to S/PDIF, and then from S/PDIF back to I2s?

jsmccray
11-25-2006, 07:10 AM
thanks for the idea.

I'm upgrading my outboard DAC, which currently uses Toslink, to one that requires RCA. I posted on another forum, and found that this mod is over my head :(.

I'll just take it to someone in town, thanks for your help.

jake