Bad Woofer on Thiel CS3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Woofer on Thiel CS3

Olivertmc
11-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi all,

I've recently cleaned up some old Thiel speakers given to me a few months ago. I hooked them up two nights ago, and there is a problem with the woofer on one of the speakers. The speakers are 3-ways, so I'm getting mids and highs, but absolutely no bass at all. I'm inclined to open it up and see what's going on, but I really have no idea how to begin. What should I look for? I'm familiar with speaker design and the basic concepts of drivers, cross-overs, etc., but have no first-hand experience. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks - and I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.

- Olivertmc

basite
11-22-2006, 09:08 AM
just unscrew the screws around/on the woofer then see or something is wrong, like a broken cable or one that came loose, also look for signs of damage on the woofer itselves, and on the crossover. but, you say there is no bass at all, do you mean that the woofer isn't functioning at all? (when you play music, lay your finger on them, but do not push or somehing, just feel or they are moving or not.)

Olivertmc
11-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks. To answer your question, the woofer is not functioning at all. There is some slight vibration, but I think it is coming from the vibrations produced by the other drivers.

- Olivertmc

basite
11-22-2006, 10:06 AM
hmmm, i really hope it is a cable or something , the woofers are worser, but still replacable, the crossover on the other hand might be a real tough one,

the woofer in the other speaker is functioning eh?
i don't know for sure, but i believe the thiels have a seperate crossover part for the woofer, there might be something wrong with the crossover, but really i hope it's something simple...

let us know what you find out...

Dusty Chalk
11-22-2006, 10:47 AM
If there's no sound coming from it at all, that should be simple enough to determine. Just run a low frequency signal through it directly (bypassing the crossover) (be careful not to overload it, or run the wrong frequencies through it, though). If it works, then work your way backwards.

Is it biwirable/biampable? It may just be a bad jumper or something.

If it ends up being the woofer, I think Thiel woofers are proprietary -- you may want to google some reviews and see if any of them say.

Olivertmc
11-22-2006, 11:04 AM
It is biwirable, so I'll be sure to check that first. I'm going to give this a shot over the holiday weekend - I'll let you know how I do. Thanks for all your help.