Need ultimate TT advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need ultimate TT advice

Feanor
11-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Yes, I'm look for the ultimate TT; my ultimate TT, that is.

My old linear tracking Realistic, (model number is POS, I believe), has audible flutter most of the time, so it's useless. What I want to do is record my whole vinyl collection to computer files, but the Realistic won't do it unfortunately.

What I'd like to do is get a used, eBay-special, good enough to play my LPs to a minimal standard for recording, then sell it. Any advice on TTs of this calibre?
:16:

Dusty Chalk
11-20-2006, 12:59 PM
I know it's a cliche, but allow me to redirect -- if you're willing to invest a little more, you can get an excellent turntable with very little depreciation. Would that be something you're interested in? VPI. The Scout is excellent, you should be able to get it for reasonable and sell it for the same.

jrhymeammo
11-20-2006, 01:31 PM
When I first saw this thread I got excited, then I was dissapointed :)

I agree with Dusty 100%. VPI Scout comes and goes in Agon like every 5 hours. You shouldn't lose any of your initial investment, assuming you'll sell it within a couple of months.

I think the biggest problem for your is that you live in Ontario. But you should be able to find a seller within your area. Their is no reason for you to spend all of your time recording with a inferior setup. Are you aftraid that you might end up keeping it:ihih:

VPI Scout is the only way to go. That table just does not depreciate as a used TT.

-JRA

Feanor
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Dusty, Hiro,

Good advice, no doubt. The VPI Scout has a great rep. I'll watch for one eBay and the 'Gon. However it's probably too much outlay for me, even on a short term basis.

Dusty Chalk
11-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Rega P1? Music Hall MMF-2? Clearaudio Emotion?

You may want to search on these, as well, as they may lead to the competition.

jrhymeammo
11-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey Bill,

I think MusicHall MMF-5 can be had for about $400 on Agon. I wouldnt pay more than $450 with a Goldring1012 cartridge. That might be the best option for less.
I think Clearaudio Emotion is hard to get it used. I've been trying to find one for under $700 used, but no luck. For that, it's more than what Feanor would want to pay.
The best alternative option might be for you to get a used Debut III or http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1169024430
with a heavy emphasis on a cartridge. As long as you wont go for somem like this http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-LP2D-Record-Conversion-Kit?sc=2&category=358
you should be okay.
-JRA

Feanor
11-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Hey Bill,

I think MusicHall MMF-5 can be had for about $400 on Agon. I wouldnt pay more than $450 with a Goldring1012 cartridge. That might be the best option for less.
I think Clearaudio Emotion is hard to get it used. I've been trying to find one for under $700 used, but no luck. For that, it's more than what Feanor would want to pay.
The best alternative option might be for you to get a used Debut III or http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1169024430
with a heavy emphasis on a cartridge. As long as you wont go for somem like this http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-LP2D-Record-Conversion-Kit?sc=2&category=358
you should be okay.
-JRA

The Needle Doctor's offering that is.

The MMF-2 looks good but the seller says ship to US only, a standard A'gon condition. I might email him because often sellers will change their minds on that point if you assure them you will pay actual shipping, brokerage, duties, and taxes. I have sold a lot of stuff into the US and my buyers so far have never been hit with these charges, however, coming the other way Canadian residents are always hit with them.

JoeE SP9
11-21-2006, 09:47 AM
With a good enough TT you might find that playing vinyl instead of recording it sounds better. Having tried the conversion to CD on several of my best LP's I've concluded that vinyl on the old TT still sounds better.
What I'm saying is, with a good enough TT you might want to keep it and expand your vinyl collection.:ihih:

basite
11-21-2006, 10:32 AM
there is a tt which has (believe it or not) a usb port, which means that you can directly connect it to your pc, i believe it's brand was Numark, yes, it was numark.

basite
11-21-2006, 10:34 AM
oo, found it, just go to www.numark.com , all of their tt's seem to have at least a digital output.

Feanor
11-21-2006, 12:49 PM
oo, found it, just go to www.numark.com (http://www.numark.com) , all of their tt's seem to have at least a digital output.

However I've got a phono preamp that I can connect to my M-Audio Audiophile USB, so any old TT will do.

Feanor
11-21-2006, 12:55 PM
With a good enough TT you might find that playing vinyl instead of recording it sounds better. Having tried the conversion to CD on several of my best LP's I've concluded that vinyl on the old TT still sounds better.
What I'm saying is, with a good enough TT you might want to keep it and expand your vinyl collection.:ihih:

The last thing I want is to get into vinyl. Gads! I've got enough to fussy and worry about with digital. Heaven forbid that I get interested in the former: what I'm trying to do is get rid of it once and for all. (LPs: die, die, die ...)

Get thee behind me, Satan!!!

SlumpBuster
11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm going to vote for a new Music Hall MMF 2.1. audioadvisor.com ships worldwide. http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=78
I had an extended listening session with the MMF 2.1 (ferrari red model) through an Arcam integrated and Paradigm Studio 20's. It was a surprisingly refined table. I have been very pleased with my Music Hall. They really do excell in the bang for buck catagory.

I vote for new because used can be dicey, especially on the Ebay. I have no experience with Audiogon. You really can't go wrong with the 2.1. Also, even money says you end up keeping it if you get it. :D

Dusty Chalk
11-21-2006, 01:39 PM
The last thing I want is to get into vinyl. Gads! I've got enough to fussy and worry about with digital. Heaven forbid that I get interested in the former: what I'm trying to do is get rid of it once and for all. (LPs: die, die, die ...)

Get thee behind me, Satan!!!Oh. Well, in that case, I have a simple solution -- send them to me, and I will do it for you.

jrhymeammo
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Damn it Dusty, I was going to ask if I could drive up there and pick'em up myself. I forgive you though.

Seriously, what are you going to do with them? Whatchu got Bill.

JRA

Dusty Chalk
11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, he doesn't really know me from Adam, so I wouldn't blame him if he picked someone else that he knew.

And/or closer. I'm 10 hours from him, one way. Actually, that's not that bad. Too bad I already have plans for Thanksgiving weekend, driving to Iowa.

jrhymeammo
11-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I do~~nt kn~ow~~ I still think Feanor is afraid he's going to love records he hates so much.:)

Feanor
11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
I do~~nt kn~ow~~ I still think Feanor is afraid he's going to love records he hates so much.:)

Actually my LP collection is pretty small; I guess 200 or so. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with them, but I'll get rid of most of them somehow.

jrhymeammo
11-21-2006, 08:57 PM
No, no, not going to happen!!

But you havent given it another chance in say.........how long? I'm sorry. I hope I'm not sounding like I'm trying to force anything on you.

JRA

basite
11-22-2006, 05:12 AM
i'd keep the records, in case your digital experience would fail,

if you don't keep them, i'm a volunteer, send them!

Feanor
11-22-2006, 07:43 AM
i'd keep the records, in case your digital experience would fail,

if you don't keep them, i'm a volunteer, send them!

I had some discussion with jrhymeammo around a one-time AR member's, (rb122), findings that vinyl recorded to CD was virtually indistinguishable from former on playback, i.e. the issue isn't with the digital medium. :thumbsup:

Of course, if I used a better TT+ cartridge+ phono preamp, I'd get better results, but that's an up-front issue. Assuming I'm happy with the sound of what I use, I won't keep the vinyl because:

I can flog the LPs for a few bucks, and
I can backup to DVDs using a lot less space than keeping the LPs. :D

nobody
11-22-2006, 08:30 AM
The suggestion of getting something used is a good one. Using it for a few months isn't really going to change the value of it so whatever you pay you will get back if you just plan on using it and getting rid of it when you're through. Maybe you're out the price of putting a new stylus on it to make sure you get good results, but the bigger cost of the table would be a wash...except that the cash would be out of your pocket for a time while you get things done. But something new and figure on getting closer to half your money back.

Feanor
11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
The suggestion of getting something used is a good one. Using it for a few months isn't really going to change the value of it so whatever you pay you will get back if you just plan on using it and getting rid of it when you're through. Maybe you're out the price of putting a new stylus on it to make sure you get good results, but the bigger cost of the table would be a wash...except that the cash would be out of your pocket for a time while you get things done. But something new and figure on getting closer to half your money back.

Used is the only way I'd go for exactly the reasons you state.

Furthermove I want to keep my outlay on the low side even though I hope to get most of it back.

jrhymeammo
11-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Hello Bill,

I was wondering if you know anyone in say Detriot MI or Buffalo NY. Alot of Agon sellers dont care to send packages to other locations. Maybe our fellow member emorphine in Rochester(2hours?) can help you out. You can always drive across to his place and pickit up. I've bought some geaers and music from north of the border and was never charged for it. That's BullS man.

I think alot of Canadians have PO boxes setup in a US city close by just for that purpose. I think it's kinda shaddy, but bringing back minor goods shouldnt be a problem.

or...emorphine can let you borough his P2 for a couple of weeks.:ihih: He's also has a DL110 and I imagine that deck sounds pretty darn good.

I guess you never found that post from rb122. I haevnt either, I dont think he ever went into a detail on his procedure. This is also something I really want to do, but really dont want to introduce PC into the mix. I need to find the best way to burn LP onto CD-Rs by using a non-PC based stand alone CD burner.
Our member, nobody, uses a regular burner. I had to erase his message, to make room, so I dont have the procedure, but I believe he had to manually push a button to separate tracks.

Hey nobody, is there a some kind of passive head-jack to monitor what;s being played? I dont like to just guess if the tracks have changed or not, just by looking at stylus and where it's being played.

regards,

JRA

Feanor
11-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Hello Bill,

I was wondering if you know anyone in say Detriot MI or Buffalo NY. Alot of Agon sellers dont care to send packages to other locations. ...

I think alot of Canadians have PO boxes setup in a US city close by just for that purpose. I think it's kinda shaddy, but bringing back minor goods shouldnt be a problem.

I guess you never found that post from rb122. I haevnt either, I dont think he ever went into a detail on his procedure. This is also something I really want to do, but really dont want to introduce PC into the mix. I need to find the best way to burn LP onto CD-Rs by using a non-PC based stand alone CD burner.

JRA

The majority of A'gon listers will ship to Canada if you ask them nicely in the way I mentioned. (Of course, there are a few are so rude that they won't even respond to your question.)

Southern Ontario, where I live is a fairly big market in itself; if you're patient you can find most of what you need around here. I'm watching a couple of TTs on eBay that are within 60 miles that I might pick up in person.

No, I never did find rb122's post; could be it's no longer online. However I am certain that he used a dedicated CD recorder, not a computer process. For my part I will use the computer because I mostly playback nowadays from iTunes via my M-Audio USB soundcard. In any case I don't have a CD recorder other than my computer drive.

royphil345
11-23-2006, 01:27 PM
If you're just recording to a computer... Why not go the vintage quartz-locked direct-drive route? Should be able to find a heavier model on eBay for less than $100.00. You won't be getting a Technics MKII or Denon at that price, you'll have to look for a "sleeper". I'm getting fantastic results with an old DD. Most of the older, heavier models have very good specs and are only dissed by audiophiles because of some "finer points". You may even be able to find something with a decent cartridge you can still get a stylus for. Or... There's the AT-95, Denon DL-110, Ortofon OM 20 depending on what you want to spend. Only problem is the ability of the average idiot on eBay to ship a table without damaging it. I've received a couple damaged tables before I got the good one. If you e-mail a seller asking if they're willing to pack well, remove or secure the counterweight and platter so they don't come off and smash things during shipping... I've even offered to pay extra... The average answer back is like...duh... maybe... Had one guy promise to do it, then he just threw it in a box with no packing material at all, smashed it, and refused a refund. Very sad. Seems the average idiot thinks they can throw a turntable in a box and expect it get somewhere safely. Or they just don't care... Pretty sure the one guy who broke his promise just scammed me and the table was broken to begin with. My new eBay rules are... Open a PayPal account where they don't have access to your checking account. Insist on insured shipping (UPS has automatic insurance up to $100.00 or something like that, USPS insurance is cheap, FedEx I'm not sure...) or don't buy. Pay by PayPal with a credit card that will reverse PayPal charges if necessary (check with your company, some won't). That way, YOU decide if and when you get a refund...

jrhymeammo...

The easiest way to record on a stand-alone would probably be to just record album sides as tracks on a rewritable disc. Then, rip the disc into your computer as CD quality wave, separate the tracks using software and burn the final disk. Shouldn't be any loss of sound-quality this way. Trying to separate tracks in real-time would probably not be easy and would get old fast. Betting there would be some kind delay or "break" in the music as well. Editing on the computer and burning "disc at once", you can quickly achieve completely seamless track changes.

CD Wave Editor is a program made just for the purpose of splitting tracks. Makes the job very quick and easy compared to using a full-blown editor for just splitting tracks. Also has a built-in recorder for those that do the recording on the PC. Have to adjust the recording level in the Windows Mixer yourself... http://www.filelodge.com/files/room41/1161563/CDWAV162.zip Click where it says "click here" to download the program. It is for Windows by the way... Have used it in Windows 98 and XP with excellent results. A real time saver!!!

jrhymeammo
11-23-2006, 08:05 PM
CD Wave Editor is a program made just for the purpose of splitting tracks. Makes the job very quick and easy compared to using a full-blown editor for just splitting tracks. Also has a built-in recorder for those that do the recording on the PC. Have to adjust the recording level in the Windows Mixer yourself... http://www.filelodge.com/files/room4...3/CDWAV162.zip Click where it says "click here" to download the program. It is for Windows by the way... Have used it in Windows 98 and XP with excellent results. A real time saver!!!

Thanks royphil345, I'll be sure to check it out this weekend.

JRA

JoeE SP9
11-24-2006, 07:22 AM

Get thee behind me, Satan!!!

Come on Feanor you should know old farts like myself will never let vinyl die. Besides, there is a whole slew of vinyl in my collection that will never be sold on CD. Most LP's are black not red anyway.:ihih:

Feanor
11-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Come on Feanor you should know old farts like myself will never let vinyl die. Besides, there is a whole slew of vinyl in my collection that will never be sold on CD. Most LP's are black not red anyway.:ihih:

Yeah, vinyl will never die. But for me it's on its way out.

Our LP collection is quite small: mine total about 200 and my wife has maybe another 50-60. Of these, maybe 150 are all we care about, so its worth it to record them to digital.

Yes, I have quite a few that are not currently available on CD. This is one reason I want to record them; the other is I'm too cheap to layout $20 a piece for those that are on CD.

jrhymeammo
11-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Come on Feanor you should know old farts like myself will never let vinyl die.

Old people do get it right once in a while.:lol:

JoeE SP9
11-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Old people do get it right once in a while.:lol:

The reason we're old is because we do get it right!:ihih:

jrhymeammo
11-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Always appreciate your humor, Joe.

I still think Feanor should get a MMF-5. I stated that they can be pickedup for about $400, but the price of $300 seems to be more common. Old DD TT's are pretty cheap, but I think he would need to get a stobe disc and test TT before he buys them. But that's not possible thru the ebay....

JRA

JoeE SP9
11-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Two of my audio buddies have MMF's a 5 and a 3.1. Both of them are very happy with their choices.:cool:

Feanor
11-29-2006, 07:02 PM

My old linear tracking Realistic, (model number is POS, I believe), has audible flutter most of the time, so it's useless. What I want to do is record my whole vinyl collection to computer files, but the Realistic won't do it unfortunately.

What I'd like to do is get a used, eBay-special, good enough to play my LPs to a minimal standard for recording, then sell it. Any advice on TTs of this calibre?

Pictured below, my vinylphile buddies, a vintage Technics SL-2D, for which I paid a wooping $86 on eBay.

Yes, yes, I know: it is the antithesis of all your wlll-intentioned advice, but if it works at all, it will probably suffice for me. The cartridge is a Realistic R1000EDT which I probably swap for something a little better; I have my eye on Sonus Blue currently on auction. The Sonus is NOS, probably dating back from era of the Technics itself, say the late 70's.

Having sold my old Apt Holman somewhat prematurely as it turns out, I had to get a phono preamp. Grudgingly, I laid out $100 for a brand-new Cambridge 540P.

Dusty Chalk
11-29-2006, 07:07 PM
On the bright side, you will probably succeed in avoiding getting addicted to analog.

royphil345
11-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Congrats!!! Hope the seller gets it to you safely. If you convinced him to remove or secure the platter, your chances are pretty good... Some people just won't listen though... The USPS seems particularly hard on packages. I've had better luck with UPS or Fed Ex.

I think it should be all you need to get decent recordings on a computer. The Cambridge phono stage seems to be very well liked by those who've heard it.

I probably wouldn't buy a NOS cartridge and stylus. Cartridge... maybe. The suspensions on styli tend to harden and deteriorate over time causing tracking problems. I would only buy an older cartridge if I could get a brand new stylus for it.

There's nothing wrong with these...

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC95E

http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DL-110-Cartridge?sc=7&category=1110

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=OROM20S

jrhymeammo
11-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Way to go Feanor!!!! I think you've made a right choice. I've never owned any technics, but mate it with a good cart you will fall in love with analog again.

And how do you plan to clean your LPs?
Do you plan on listening to records thru your system, or straight to your PC?

jra

edit: One question in general. What's the point of having strobe function if you can't adjust it? I ssay this.cuz that SL doesnt look like it has pitch control/

royphil345
11-30-2006, 12:59 AM
The pitch control is the black wheel towards the left. Just the edge sticks out. He'll need it because that table isn't quartz-locked. Some direct drives without it tend to drift in speed or be load sensitive. Think the Technics were pretty good in that respect due to robust motors. Drift wouldn't be as bad as flutter anyway... The Technics always had decent wow and flutter specs.

My table is quartz-locked and has a strobe with no pitch control. The strobe is just there so you can look at it every once in awhile and say... perfect... LOL

Feanor
11-30-2006, 06:33 AM
I probably wouldn't buy a NOS cartridge and stylus. Cartridge... maybe. The suspensions on styli tend to harden and deteriorate over time causing tracking problems. I would only buy an older cartridge if I could get a brand new stylus for it.

... (http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=OROM20S)

Roy, I dare say you're right about old styli. You suggestions look good.

Feanor
11-30-2006, 06:37 AM
On the bright side, you will probably succeed in avoiding getting addicted to analog.

Nope -- I don't want to become addicted to vinyl. Bear in mind my hi-fi days date way back to before digital. I have no very fond memories of setting up turntables or fiddling with LPs. I know some people love those rituals, but it ain't me, Dusty.

jrhymeammo
12-06-2006, 01:09 AM
What made you want to spend $110 on a Grado cart? I'm pretty sure you can do better. I would like to hear this if you care to comment.

Your Buddy,

JRA

royphil345
12-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Hey Feanor...

Don't skimp on the cable to the sound card. I finally got my analog rig performing pretty well. Been starting to mess around with recording on the computer. I've been using a stereo 1/8" to RCAs cable that looked a little better than "in the box" cables. Figured I wouldn't be getting the best recordings on the computer anyway, so I've been slow to replace it. Made a cable out of a Radio Shack plug and extra Monster 100 interconnects today. HUGE difference. Much fuller / more open sound. Old cable was obviously anemic, compressed, lacked bass in comparison. Think the computer recordings are a little better than what I could do with my cassette deck now. Not very neat looking with those big cables connected to the little plug though. Couldn't use the cover for the plug. Was able to get a few wraps of tape around the positive terminals and a big piece of heat-shrink over the whole thing.

The Monster 200 1/8" to RCAs cable looks decent, a little pricey. I've tried the Monster 400 cables and thought they sounded horrible. Would avoid the one made from the 400 cables.

...Ignore all this if you're lucky enough to have RCA connectors on your sound card... LOL

Feanor
12-06-2006, 04:17 AM
What made you want to spend $110 on a Grado cart? I'm pretty sure you can do better. I would like to hear this if you care to comment.

Your Buddy,

JRA

I own the Grado already; it is a P-mount attached to my old Rat Shack that quit. I have ordered a P to 1/2 inch adaptor, ($3), from Needle Doctor. If that doesn't work, I'll be looking for other options, but I'm a cheapskate when it comes to vinyl.

Another option is a Signet, (by Audio Technica), TK7E I own with a usable stylus. Replacement stylii are available for it from LP Gear supposedly, although they might be pretty old stock.

Feanor
12-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Hey Feanor...

Don't skimp on the cable. ...

...Ignore all this if you're lucky enough to have RCA connectors on your sound card... LOL

I agree that very cheap interconnects need to be replaced, even though I don't believe in spending a fortune; (recently I've been buying Blue Jeans Cable interconnects when I need more).

Yes, I'm lucky: my sound card, an external M-Audio Audiophile USB, has RCA inputs and I'll be running some pretty good Kimber cables to it from my Cambride phono preamp. The turntable leads, on the other hand, are real crap but unfortunately they are not disconectable and I don't foresee modifying the TT. See my system at the link below; it shows the phono pre connected to the Adcom preamp, but I'll change this for recording.

royphil345
12-06-2006, 07:01 AM
You are lucky to be able to use standard interconnects!!!

I spend even less on them than you... Although, the "basic" ones seem too thin to be of any use at all these days. "Upgrade" to the lowly Monster 100 made a dramatic difference in the quality of recordings. Replaced the hard-wired interconnects on my turntable awhile back with the same Monster 100s. Did open things up slightly, but the interconnects on the old Sony weren't that bad (thicker conductors than I expected), so the difference wasn't as dramatic. Just figured I'd give you a "heads up" in case you had to do the 1/8" plug to RCAs thing... Good cables of this type are pricey and hard to come by. Alot of people probably settle on using garbage ones like I did for TOO long and get poor results without knowing why...

I've just been recording from a tape out on my preamp for the sake of convenience (never have to switch connections around). Perfect recording levels and good results. Not sure if going straight from the phono stage to the computer would work out better or worse (I may have to try it now... LOL). I guess since you use a laptop, something has to be plugged in each time you do your recording anyway. Wouldn't matter which way you go unless one way sounds better...

All your new stuff should be arriving and coming together... Have fun!!! Hope it all works out well for you!!!

jrhymeammo
12-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Cool beans. It doesnt sound like you have changed you mind about vinyl. I think you'll make someone else very happy once you recorded all of your vinyl.

JRA

Feanor
12-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Cool beans. It doesnt sound like you have changed you mind about vinyl. I think you'll make someone else very happy once you recorded all of your vinyl.

JRA

You know I'm not trying to change other people's opinion, but mine is that my digitized LP content will sound essentially indentical to the original. That being the case, I'd like to release the space now occupied by my equipment and the LPs themselves.
:thumbsup:

Maybe that will make some others happy. Bonus!!

Here's a deal: :cool: I have maybe 200 LPs. Most are in very good to excellant condition; a few could do with cleaning. If someone will agree to buy at least 100 LPs from me, s/he can have them for $2 a piece plus shipping.

royphil345
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
You know I'm not trying to change other people's opinion, but mine is that my digitized LP content will sound essentially indentical to the original.

Ehhhhh.... not quite there yet... I'm working on it...

I think even with a stand-alone CD recorder you'd end up losing some of vinyl's benefits while capturing some of it's weaknesses. The results I'm getting are very acceptable though. Still not quite done tweaking...

Haven't burned anything do a disk and played it back yet after my recent improvements. Just playing test recordings back with Windows Media Player. It's been my experience that sound cards generally record better than they play back, and that the recordings sound a little better when burned to disk and played back on a standard CD player. Have made some pretty nice CDs from vinyl using the computer in the past, but nothing that sounds quite as good as the original vinyl... YET... LOL Could only do better with my new cable...

jrhymeammo
12-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Bill, if you can project me some good idea to what you have, and if i like it, I will defitnetlyu consider it,.

Feanor
12-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Bill, if you can project me some good idea to what you have, and if i like it, I will defitnetlyu consider it,.

I have many hours of recording ahead of me before I'll be parting with them.

2/3 of the collection is classical; the rest mainly '70's folk and folk rock, (Baez, etc.).

jrhymeammo
12-06-2006, 08:19 PM
I really dont care much for classical anymore, so no thanks. I do wanna see a picture of you cleaning LPs with a happy smile though. I dont ever see that happening though.

Best wishes,

JRA

jrhymeammo
12-08-2006, 05:06 PM
If you happen to have a copy of Amused to Death by Roger Waters in your collection, then I will gladly pay you at your asking price.

JRA

Feanor
12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
If you happen to have a copy of Amused to Death by Roger Waters in your collection, then I will gladly pay you at your asking price.

JRA

Released first in '92, I see. Doesn't seem to be avaible on LP at the moment.

Feanor
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM

This evening I've been enjoying my sweet new Denon Dl-110 high-output moving coil cartridge. Just mounted it and I'm sure it's still breaking in, but sounds very nice. Thanks very much to royphil345 for mentioning William Thakker; cost only US$119 plus shipping, etc.
http://stores.ebay.com/William-s-Stylus-Shop_Cartridges

This completes my modest analog upgrade:

Technics SL-D2 turntable
Cambridge 540P MM phono preamp
Denon DL-110 high-output MC cartridgeIt remains my intent to rip my LPs to digital but I haven't started that process yet. Meanwhile my neglected collection is sounding very nice, though I've heard nothing that persuades me that vinyl is inherently better than RBCD -- at its best, anyway.
:16: :19: :21:

jrhymeammo
12-27-2006, 06:18 PM
That cartridge is so much fun, and atta great price too. Enjoy your music as you always do.

JRA

royphil345
12-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Nice!!! Welcome to the Denon cartridge club... LOL.

My Denon / Technics combo is sounding great. Haven't been tempted to make any more adjustments for awhile. Think it's time for me to get busy on some vinyl to digital conversions I've been wanting to do.

jrhymeammo
12-27-2006, 11:54 PM
I havent heard anyone comment anything bad about Denon carts on this site. I would mind hearing one though..

I would LOVE to hear how the first conversion turned out from you two. I think that might be the best way to tell if you TT is setup properly. Being able to seek back and forth is pretty nice.

squeegy200
12-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I havent heard anyone comment anything bad about Denon carts on this site. I would mind hearing one though..

I would LOVE to hear how the first conversion turned out from you two. I think that might be the best way to tell if you TT is setup properly. Being able to seek back and forth is pretty nice.

I too have noticed that many reviewers in some of the publications always seem to have one of the Denon's attached to one of their turntables. It's usually alongside something much more expensive.

If you're in Southern California, you're welcome to come and hear mine. ;)

(DL-103 also purchased from William Thacker)

jrhymeammo
12-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks Squeegy200. I`ll be sure to bring my DL-301mk2 and 110 when I do.

I've never been a fan of their products, but I was quite impressed with the SACD player DCD-SA1. They offer incredible stuff here in Japan for 2ch audio, I can understand cuz not many people here has room for HT/MC setup... different market I guess.

JRA

basite
12-29-2006, 05:23 AM
I've never been a fan of their products, but I was quite impressed with the SACD player DCD-SA1.

i think that's normal, considering that the dcd-sa1 is a 8k ($) cd player...

btw, denon club and all, i just happened to find myself a dealer (not on ebay or so, a real person) who happens to have a second-hand, unused denon dl-103 cart, for €100 (retail price €180 new)...
i also think that i found my new cartridge...

Greetings
Bert.

jrhymeammo
12-29-2006, 03:01 PM
i also think that i found my new cartridge...

That'll be awesome Bast. Of course I have no experience with that cart, but I trust members who use them so that's more than good enough for me.

I didnt think you integrated amp had a MC option. Are you considering to get a stepup transformer or a phono pre?

JRA

basite
12-30-2006, 03:21 AM
phono pre i think

project phonobox II, something entry for now, upgrading later

hope it will be a huge upgrade, mom doesn't see the point in mounting a 'expensive' cart, dad's not too fancy about it too...

they'll be impressed...

Greetings,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
12-30-2006, 05:29 AM
phono pre i think

project phonobox II, something entry for now, upgrading later

hope it will be a huge upgrade, mom doesn't see the point in mounting a 'expensive' cart, dad's not too fancy about it too...

they'll be impressed...

Greetings,
Bert.

Parents just dont understand - Will Smith

I think that's a good choice. But if you are considering to take that route, I would get the PhonoP first and hear how you like your Ortofon. If you like your O'fon with PPB2, you there is no reason to get the Denon. I'm sure the Denon will be a huge upgrade from your O'fon though...

JRA

jrhymeammo
12-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Actually you would never get the Denon first then a MC pre....ah..........Have a great New Year!!!!!!!!!

JRA

Feanor
03-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I sold my Cambridge Azur 540P phono preamp. Howcome? Well, I needed a backup preamp for my Sonic Frontiers so I bought a Sansui C-2101 semi-vintage preamp at Audiogon. It has MC-Low and MC-High as well as MM, so the Cambridge is redundant.

Will the Sansui sound better than the Cambridge? Likely not, but it does have the MC and is good enough for my non-critical vinyl requirements. I don't have room for both, anyway.