Bullet proof hifi? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bullet proof hifi?

GiantScale
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
I started looking for a mini system for my 12 year old daughter about a week ago. Iv learned that most companies build in a burnout failure time.

Can someone recommend a mini or shelf system she could use from today, through her college years? This planned burnout time is unacceptable. She needs a single cd/dig tuner with inputs for a ipod or whatever is out at the time.

Or do I need to find a good vintage stereo?

Thanks for your time

bubbagump
11-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Not sure how valid the 'burnout' theory is but it's hard to go wrong with Yamaha. Yamaha builds mostly bullet proof hardware that will last for years. Given my experience with Yamaha hardware, it will probably be something she passes on to her daughter someday. Even the speakers that come with the mini systems sound pretty good.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/minisystems.html?CTID=5002800

jrhymeammo
11-17-2006, 05:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-EX-A1-Compact-System-Speakers/dp/B00021MX0C

I heard this JVC mini comp with wooden woofers in Japan about 3 years ago(I think). I thought that was the most incredible sounding mini system I've ever heard. It's ability to produce big warm sound just left me speechless. I'm not sure about the color of speakers though.
But she's 12 right now, and you are expecting this is last her for about 10 more year. That's not very reasonable. Kids will only be concerned with the latest techonology and most importantly the latest trends. So for now, just get her the one she likes within reasonable budget and get her a new one before she runs off to colleges. You can't avoid it. She will ask you to get a new one, and you wont be able to turn her down.

Just hope she's not going to be materialistic.....

But whatta hell do I know, I go to college and have no child of my own that I know of.

JRA

GiantScale
11-17-2006, 06:40 PM
I still listen to a 30 year old heathkit stereo my dad built. Ride my vintage bike 4 miles to work snow or shine. I also prefer a game of charades over a night in front of the tv.
And run with a saying my dad taught me. Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do. Or do without.. Yes I do have "issues" But don't owe a thin dime.

She will out grow this mini. But I will replace my heathkit with it.lol

I considered the DENON D-M33S but the Yamaha looks more reasonable. Unfortunately the MCR-E600 doesn't have a sleep/wake timer.

Any other system recommendations which will stand the test of time?

PeruvianSkies
11-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Get her something that works for now, then let her get a job in 4 years and learn how to manage money and how to spend it, then let her save that money and decide what she wants to buy.

Mike Anderson
11-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Since she's apparently going to be taking this thing into a combat zone, I recommend the JVC Kaboom Box:

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-RV-NB10B-Boombox-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B000FAILF6/sr=8-2/qid=1163830695/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-1797215-5405716?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Not *quite* a "mini", but probably sounds better than most, and nigh indestructible.

I own one myself, and bought one for my dad too.

jrhymeammo
11-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Kaboom Box would be cool, but I'm a guy. Is that something most of girls would like? I'm not going to pretend like I know what 12 year old girls would like, But I know what girls(18 and up) like. First of all, it can't be boxy. Kaboom has too many bulky angles. It has to have smooth curvey line. It has to look clean. If you look at it go "YEAHHHHhh I wish I had that when I was alot younger" then dont do it. Forget about sound, if it looks "sexy", they will say "I love you daddy".

Everyone here says sound first, when it comes to gears. Trust me, they would much rather have stuff like Bose than some of $100,000 system. If it's too big, then forget about it.

But I can't help cuz I dont hang out with girls younger than 18.

-JRA

GiantScale
11-18-2006, 06:05 AM
My first choice was the Kaboom Box . But then I somehow ended up trying to order the DENON D-M33S from buy rite in NY. I paid with paypal and the next day the payment was denied. :confused5: Tony must have just wanted my credit card info.

Anyway. "I" feel she would like the Kaboom Box. I has all the features she wants. To bad the (Green) JVC RVB90 Urban Assault Kaboom isnt available anylonger. Shes into camo.
Do you guys really think the cd played will last?

And where should I order it from? Low price but reputable. I also need to order a DVD player for my dad. His first one..

Mike Anderson
11-18-2006, 08:48 AM
EBay is typically the rock-bottom as far as prices go. And keep an eye out, you just might spot a used camo one.

Otherwise just get it at Amazon, they have a good price on this as well. Sign up for the Free Super Saver shipping (then quit the trial membership a couple months later) and that is probably an impossible-to-beat price unless you get it from some hole-in-the-wall in Brooklyn off Ebay, which is always a shaky proposition.

But yeah, if your girl is gonna dig the looks, the Kaboom is *definitely* the way to go. Features galore, great sound, and a look that tuff teens will love. Yes, the CD player should last. I took mine out to Burning Man, and it's still intact.

Also, get her a cheap mic to plug in the back for karaoke. What more could a teenage girl want?

Mike Anderson
11-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh, yeah, one more thing: For plugging in an iPod, don't rely on the wireless transmitter, it sucks. Get a proper cable to go into the 1/8" miniplug jack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103871&cp=&origkw=mini+jack&kw=mini+jack&kwCatId=2032058&parentPage=search

This will work for anything with a 1/8" stereo miniplug output (which is just about everything). It's also a fairly high quality cable, for $12.

GiantScale
11-18-2006, 10:03 AM
OK the kaboom it is.

And amazon looks to be the best.

Thanks again!:)

markw
11-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Keep in mind that that vintage stuff was much simpler. Everything was mechabical. You chabge the volume, you twisted a control that moves a piece of metal across a piece of carbon. You change a radio station, you twisted a knob whuich moves a piece of string that moves the vanes of a capacitor.

Today, that simplicity is gone. Everything isc ontriolled my a microprocessor which puts layers and layers of technology between your desires and the units ability to respond.

So, consider... the unit may be perfectly acceptable at doing it's job but if that all-important computer goes, you're boned.

Mike Anderson
11-18-2006, 11:00 AM
OK the kaboom it is.

And amazon looks to be the best.

Thanks again!:)

Good luck, let us know how she likes it. And definitely get that 1/8" minijack cable, the wireless transmitter really is useless.

audio_dude
11-18-2006, 12:33 PM
YES! my dad JUST got a Kaboombox for his room, sounds AMAZING! i've always loved JVC boomboxed, they're just so hard to find these days, if you find one, pick it up! you'll be amazed how it sounds!

spasticteapot
11-24-2006, 08:21 AM
How about the Insignia B-21111 speakers (40$/pair) with a Sonic Impact T-amp (30$) or, better still, a 41hz Amp3 kit? (27$).

The B2111's are supposed to be amazing for the price - I've got a pair in the mail - and work nicely with small amplifiers.

If you really want to go for convenient and bulletproof, open up the speaker and modify it. Some Bondo applied to the inside will help kill cabinet resonance, and a bit of fiberglass batting will eliminate it almost entirely. Upgrade the crossover a bit (it's easy soldering, and you can get the parts for $10 if you scrounge) and they're supposed to be nearly unbeatable for anything in their size.

Plus, there's JUST enough room that you can mount an amp3 kit (www.41hz.com) inside. It's got double the power of the T-amp, sounds even better, and they're so small that you can fit one inside the box - just connect the output to the other speaker to the speaker binding jacks, and connect the speaker binding jacks together.

Presto! High-end stereo that can be used with the Mp3 or CD player of your choice.

Haoleb
11-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I was intrugued by the design of a "micro system" at my local costco. This is pretty much what it is. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BX10FU/ref=pd_cp_e_title/104-2005326-6448710 It also plays dvd's so its kind of like the whole deal. Their seperates design and isolation platform/stand design had me halfway impressed. And the Ribbon tweeters sure arent something you see in the average micro system.Not too sure how it sounds, but It sure looks cool.

jrhymeammo
11-25-2006, 11:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...005326-6448710

Can't comment on the quality, but I wonder if that receiver has enough Uuummpphh to drive ribbon tweeters.

as usual, J dunn get it.