Bananas vs. bare [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bananas vs. bare

Stereomaniac
11-17-2006, 01:59 PM
My amp has the option of either spring clips or bananas on the back. My speakers have 5 way binding posts. I have always been a big bare wire fan believing that the fewer transitions from connector to connector the better. I have new speaker wire (16 AWG) and it appears to be a little large for the spring clips. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard 18 AWG is about max for springs without over extending them. I have already broke a couple with my old original 12 AWG monster cable. I am running 9 feet from amp to speaker in a two channel setup.

Is there an audible difference between using bananas or bare wire/spring clips? Are there other factors to consider?

markw
11-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Is there an audible difference between using bananas or bare wire/spring clips?No.

Depending on the real estate values on the back of your amp/receiver, there are some units that I wouldn't consider using anything except banana plugs. ...not enough spacing to safely work, particularly when one is cursed with five kielbasa on each hand.

On the whole though, I would prefer spades to bare wires. Spades won't break and fray under pressure when tightening the nuts.

MikeyBC
11-18-2006, 11:33 PM
I would use bananas on the speakers and for the spring clip I'd use the bare wire, spring clips have a sharp edge and inserting a banana in there you will have a very small contact area between the banana and clip, whereas a bare wire will crush somewhat and allow a greater surface contact area...anyway, thats my .02 cents worth of logic.

Worf101
11-20-2006, 05:18 AM
No.

Depending on the real estate values on the back of your amp/receiver, there are some units that I wouldn't consider using anything except banana plugs. ...not enough spacing to safely work, particularly when one is cursed with five kielbasa on each hand.

On the whole though, I would prefer spades to bare wires. Spades won't break and fray under pressure when tightening the nuts.
"Five Kielbasa" on each hand? Is that anything like my sausage sized digits. LOL, the hours I've spent twisting bare wire tryig to get speaker systems hooked up. Nope... Banana for Worfster when I can get it.

Da Worfster

Stereomaniac
11-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I would use bananas on the speakers and for the spring clip I'd use the bare wire, spring clips have a sharp edge and inserting a banana in there you will have a very small contact area between the banana and clip, whereas a bare wire will crush somewhat and allow a greater surface contact area...anyway, thats my .02 cents worth of logic.

I have both banana jacks and spring clips for my speaker A connections. I would not put the bananas into the spring clips. I am using bare wire at the speakers but was wondering about the amp. 16 AWG speaker wire seems a little large for the spring clips.

Bananas are a lot easier, but I was wondering if I would be sacrificing sound quaility??

basite
11-20-2006, 09:53 AM
theoretically, bare would be best, next are the spades and the bananas

simply because when you connect the wires directly (bare) to the speakers/amp(s) you have the shortest circuit, but there is no audible difference, (maybe on the ultra ultra high end systems, but not shocking, personally I prefer the spades and the bananas, because it's safer to use (bare wires can come loose) and when you have an amp where the speaker connections are very close to eachother (like our rotel) the wires can touch eachothers and then it's kaboom

markw
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Bananas are a lot easier, but I was wondering if I would be sacrificing sound quaility??Theoretically, maybe, but you'll never hear it. Theoretically, there are traces of deadly poisons in the water you drink but you never taste them nor do they do you harm because their impact is negligible.

Of course, for those with OCD, well...

hermanv
11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
There is a reason why the "better" speaker conectors are plated with gold or rhodium, those metals corrode very little, Copper corrodes fast becoming copper oxide, a not very desirable contact material. By soldering connectors on the wires, the possibility of bad connections is significantly reduced.

Banannas probably won't fit the spring clips, but there are things usually called pin jacks, often they have a ring shaped groove to help them not pull out of spring clips. Seems I've seen some at the local big box hardware store.

Here are some without the groove.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/speaker-con-aq.html#bp

These have the groove and come in groovy colors (sorry, couldn't resist)
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/mon126055.html

MikeyBC
11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
I have both banana jacks and spring clips for my speaker A connections. I would not put the bananas into the spring clips. I am using bare wire at the speakers but was wondering about the amp. 16 AWG speaker wire seems a little large for the spring clips.

Bananas are a lot easier, but I was wondering if I would be sacrificing sound quaility??

Ooops sorry i misread your original post, If the bananas are of good quality and properly terminated to the wire i'd use them and not worry about sound quality loss, Quality bananas have a good contact area and fit nice and tight. I didnt see the part where you state you had both types of terminals on your amp.

Stereomaniac
11-20-2006, 02:14 PM
There is a reason why the "better" speaker conectors are plated with gold or rhodium, those metals corrode very little, Copper corrodes fast becoming copper oxide, a not very desirable contact material. By soldering connectors on the wires, the possibility of bad connections is significantly reduced.

Banannas probably won't fit the spring clips, but there are things usually called pin jacks, often they have a ring shaped groove to help them not pull out of spring clips. Seems I've seen some at the local big box hardware store.

Here are some without the groove.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/speaker-con-aq.html#bp

These have the groove and come in groovy colors (sorry, couldn't resist)
http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/mon126055.html

I have both banana jacks AND spring clips for my speaker A connection. I think I will go bananas (sorry, I couldn't resist). Would I be better of cleaning the wire and banana with a good contact cleaner and crimping or should I crimp and solder? I have heard that some solders have rather high resistance values (low silver content I would imagine).

hermanv
11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I have both banana jacks AND spring clips for my speaker A connection. I think I will go bananas (sorry, I couldn't resist). Would I be better of cleaning the wire and banana with a good contact cleaner and crimping or should I crimp and solder? I have heard that some solders have rather high resistance values (low silver content I would imagine).In theory crimping is slightly better than solder, but that is when a commercial hydraulic crimper is used. Those cheap flat pliers with a crimping dimple are not the same.

With the right connector I usually crimp and then solder. Its expensive, but I do recommend Cardas Eutetic audio solder. Wonder solder is also eutectic. Eutectic just means all the metals in the solder solidify at the same temperature, novices will have a far better chance of making good (and shiny) connections with a eutectic solder.

Solder resistance is pretty low because it usually has a very thin film between the two metals and usually the thin film has a large cross section. A proper solder joint forms an alloy with each of the metals being connected. Never think of solder as being a glue for metals.