what to add to B&W 805s [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what to add to B&W 805s

icarus
11-16-2006, 10:05 PM
I just purchased B&W 805s and I just love them, but im running them through a HK 340 receiver. Im looking for suggestions for a center speaker, sub, rear speakers, possibly new a reciever and would i need a preamp?

any suggestions would be great

jrhymeammo
11-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Hi there, welcome to AR.com

I used to own a pair of B&W Signature 805 not too long ago. They are not well respected around here so some reason, kinda like BOSE.... But who cares about all of that. I thought they were incredible speakers.

I used to drive them with Rotel RSX 972 and my current 35-40watt Tube Integrated amp. They are not difficult to drive, but not quite easy either. I think you'll enjoy them quite a bit with alot of power. You can always chose to get a 200+ watt amp.
I cant help you with your LCR+S speakers. If you trust our HK, use that as your preamp, and get a 5ch power amp. That may be the best way to go.

Best wishes,

JRA

topspeed
11-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)

There's only one truly ardent B&W hater on this forum and thankfully he doesn't post much anymore, so I wouldn't worry about anybody flaming you.

Congrats on your purchase! The natural compliment for your mains would be the HTM3 or HTM4. It's critical you buy a cc from the same line to ensure proper timbre matching across the front stage. Don't even think of getting a cc from the 700 line as the voicing is quite different. For surrounds, you can use either the SCM or DS8, although I would highly recommend another pair of 805's if you plan on listening to any multi-channel hi-rez. For subs, I'd skip B&W's ASW line, not because they are bad...they're not...but they are pricey. Better subs can be had for far less money. Something from DefTech, HSU, Velodyne, Paradigm, or ACI would work nicely. You might even consider a Dayton DIY sub from partsexpress.com.

805's are pretty efficient, however their challenge lies in the somewhat severe swings in impedence they present to an amplifier. I've read more than once that OTL's aren't the best choice for any 800 series speaker. What you want is an amp with a lot of current and grip. For a speaker as nice as the 805's, I'd really lean towards separates instead of a receiver. Sure, you could get a Rotel, Arcam, or NAD AVR that will drive the rig, but why get stuck with the limitations of an AVR?

I would seriously consider a nice multi-channel amp and pre/pro instead. Rotel, Outlaw, B&K, Parasound, and NAD all make reasonably priced amps and pre/pro's that should work nicely. If you don't mind used, audiogon.com is a terrific place to find high quality used gear at great prices. The site is populated by audiophiles, most of which take better care of their gear than themselves. Amps, particularly SS amps, are great buys used because there are no moving parts to worry about. A nice used Bryston (which has a 20 year transferrable warranty) or Proceed amp would be worth investigating.

Hope this helps.

icarus
11-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks thats a huge help

mojam
11-27-2006, 03:06 AM
:confused: Nobody mentions ADCOM when it comes to a nicely powered AVR or seperates reasonably priced. I don't own one but am considering ADCOM myself. Its been awhile but audition was impressive to me.

N. Abstentia
11-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Personally I looked into Adcom, but for me the Outlaw Audio seperates were much better at half the price.

topspeed
11-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Kex loves Adcom, but he readily admits to preferring a forward souding rig...something Adcom is known for. There's certainly nothing wrong with Adcom and they offer tremendous bang for the buck, it's merely a matter of preference. The sound Kex holds so dear to his heart is exactly why I've never cared for 'em. Personally, I think the combination of Adcom with the 805's Nautilus tweeter would prove to be quickly fatiguing.

Meh, to each their own. As long as you like the sound, that's all that matters.