For Yes fans and Indie Hipsters only [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For Yes fans and Indie Hipsters only

Troy
02-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Yes gets positive reviews at Pitchfork!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/y/yes/reissues.shtml

Will wonders never cease? I agree with 90% of his review.

-Jar-
02-09-2004, 09:46 AM
this was my favorite part, from the RELAYER section:

That's followed by "Soundchaser", a vomit stew of jarring rhythms and bastardized funk climaxing with Anderson's infamous "cha cha cha" section.

heh.. I don't know if I agree with it or not, because I'm not familiar with the song, but it's pretty fun nonetheless.

-jar

Troy
02-09-2004, 10:07 AM
My favorite was "Furthermore, the album's lone concession to headier days and side-length symphonettes, "Awaken", was a fairly amazing example of how Yes could fuse new age sentiments and reverb-drenched tinker-bell soliloquies, yet somehow come out unscathed."

Beauty. WTF is a tinker-bell soliloquy?

mad rhetorik
02-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Frankly, I thought the original indie assessment of Yes and other pomp-prog bands was pretty much on the money, with some exceptions.

I do like <b>Fragile</b>--"South Side Of The Sky" and "Heart Of The Sunrise" both rule. Even parts of <b>Close To The Edge</b> aren't totally intolerable, but it did signal the beginning of the overindulgent wankfest stage.

However, I don't agree with the author's opinion on <b>Relayer</b>, I think it is Yes' best and most progressive album, due to the fact that they lose the pseudo-classical ramblings for a more fusion-like sound. "The Gates Of Delirium" is amazing.

When it comes to '70s prog, I say "no" to Yes and pick up a Pink Floyd, King Crimson, or maybe Genesis album instead.

tugmcmartin
02-09-2004, 12:00 PM
"Indie Hipsters"?I like the Indiana Jones trilogy. Does that count? Otherwise i have no idea what yer talkin' 'bout. I'm a big fan of "yes", especially when it's preceded by this question to my wife "Hey, you wanna go 'mess around'?"

Yeah, lame attempt at humor on a boring monday. So shoot me.

T-

DariusNYC
02-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Definitely a good read, and hopefully it gets some young and pimply indie-fans to check out a couple of these albums. I liked how they split the review into numbered chapters, with pretentious chapter titles. I'm also glad that they appreciate 90125; that album had some pretty catchy tunes on it. The review is best when it's being negative, though; the stuff about Tales and Relayer is pretty darn good (although I guess a lot of Yes fans would disagree with their assessment of Relayer).

Dusty Chalk
02-09-2004, 01:13 PM
I don't know. They still trashed Relayer and Tales from Topographic Oceans. Typical post-eMpTyV attention span. It's not that long. An album I was listening to last night was 66 minutes long, and Tales is only 80.

I mean, I agree, I am surprised with how positive it was, but I ain't exactly going to Bitc...I mean, Pitchfork every day, or every week even. And that would be why. I just don't agree with all of their reviews. A lot of times, they're just negative to be funny, but personally, I don't want to hear it.
I'm a big fan of "yes", especially when it's preceded by this question to my wife "Hey, you wanna go 'mess around'?"Hey, don't laugh, I've used a similar sentiment as an "opening line": there was this girl at work, sometimes I saw her, but mostly, I just dealt with her by phone. She had a really nice phone voice, one of my favourites ever, I had to be alone when I spoke with her, and I made a lot of excuses to talk to her. Anyway...this was a fairly social environment, lots of young adults in their 20's and early 30's, lots of comraderie, as a group, we met outside the office quite often to socialize. One of those times, I commented, "I really like your voice." "Thank you." "Would you mind if I sampled it some time? I'm a musician, and instead of sampling movies and stuff, I like to sample more obscure things, or better, invent my own samples, and process them so that they sound like TV. Would you be interested in providing your voice for that?" "Sure. But I don't know what to say?" "Oh, don't worry about that, I'll come up with something. In fact, it doesn't need to be that extravagent. It could be one word over and over again. Say, 'yes'?"

(I actually changed the story a little bit. But you get the idea.)

BarryL
02-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Yes gets positive reviews at Pitchfork!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/y/yes/reissues.shtml

Will wonders never cease? I agree with 90% of his review.

Printed this and will read it on the commute home. Thanks.

There's another Yes 3CD Best-of release. I think they must be contracted to release an album everytime Roger Dean creates a new cover! This release has some accoustic live versions and solos as the third CD. If any one picks this up, I'd be interested in hearing that third CD. There is also a new DVD that looks like a history of the band with interviews and selected concert footage, narrated by Roger Dean. I think it also has audio for a concert from their recent tour.

3-LockBox
02-13-2004, 09:53 AM
but I'll never get why so many Yes fans hate <i>Big Generator</i>. No, its not as good as YesWest's 90125, but its better than anything they did afterword.

But as far as his takes on '<i>Tales</i>' and <i>Relayer</i>, I'd have to agree completely.

Troy
02-13-2004, 10:22 AM
but I'll never get why so many Yes fans hate <i>Big Generator</i>. No, its not as good as YesWest's 90125, but its better than anything they did afterword.

But as far as his takes on '<i>Tales</i>' and <i>Relayer</i>, I'd have to agree completely.

I thought "Talk" was the best of the the Yes West Rabin years. And I think the late 90s "Keys Studio" tracks were much better than a lot of the band's 70s output.

Yeah, Tales may have single handedly given prog rock it's stigma. And Relayer wasn't my bag, but the reverberating fade out of "Gates" is spine tingling.