CD burners? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD burners?

aztericx
11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi,
If you want to burn songs for your cd player, is the quality of the cd burner relevant?

Glen B
11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
IMHO, not really. The quality of the sound card is more important. I use a Sony burner in my PC along with the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card to transfer my vinyl record collection to CD-R. The sound quality of the CDs I've burnt are excellent, rivaling the original vinyl.

Audiophile 24/96 sound card: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

aztericx
11-16-2006, 01:23 PM
IMHO, not really. The quality of the sound card is more important. I use a Sony burner in my PC along with the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card to transfer my vinyl record collection to CD-R. The sound quality of the CDs I've burnt are excellent, rivaling the original vinyl.

Audiophile 24/96 sound card: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html
Ok thanks.. i just don't understand why the soundcard is important for burning cds? Could you or somebody else please explain? :)

nightflier
11-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't know if it will make a difference with audio, but at my work we go through CD burners like a hot knife through butter. The $20 burners definitely are low quality. Typically we'll get twice the life out of a Plextor burner than a generic brand (sometimes we even wear them out before the warrantee wears out, so we get some more life out of the replacement unit, usually a brand new one), so I do think that some manufacturers build more solid ones.

For the Audio portion, I would tend to agree with Glen B, although I haven't done enough burning / converting.

JoeE SP9
11-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Ok thanks.. i just don't understand why the soundcard is important for burning cds? Could you or somebody else please explain? :)

When converting LP's to CD the A to D converter in the sound card is very important. After all it does convert analog to digital. Therefore the best A to D converter you can get would be beneficial. Also, in this type of usage you should stay away from any kind of compression.:cool:

aztericx
11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Hehe, I meant more like burning existing digital files on a cd. Guess the sound card isnt as important then :)

Glen B
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Hehe, I meant more like burning existing digital files on a cd. Guess the sound card isnt as important then :)

Guess you're right. I've burnt a few digital files and can't tell the difference between the original and copy.