I can STAND it [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I can STAND it

Bingo
11-15-2006, 02:35 AM
:) Previously I asked questions about speaker stands wondering if they were necessary. I had my Orsa monitors on end tables thinking that they were doing all right. But I got some interesting replies, most of which assured me that speaker stands would be the right way to go. After a lot of searching online for what I would consider the best stands for me, I found an online review of Skylan speaker stands made by a fine gentleman named Noel Nolan. That review convinced me that Noel would make my stands. I had been concerned that most of the stands I saw did not have a large enough top plate to secure the Orsas firmly in place. Noel saw to it that the top plate of his stands would be the exact dimensions as the bottom of my monitors. Noel did exactly what he told me he would do. I received my speaker stands last Friday and Grandpaw came right over and assembled them for me (I'm 83 y'know) and loaded the columns with sand as Noel had recommended. The result will be seen in some photos that Grandpaw took of my orsas on Noel's stands - he will make those pictures available in this forum soon...look for them. I think my stands LOOK great and SOUND great. If I were asked to state exactly how my sound was improved I would be hard put to do that, but I can state that overall the stands do make a difference. I would recommend them to anyone with small speakers.

Grandpaw
11-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Here are Bingo's speaker pictures, Grandpaw

Dusty Chalk
11-15-2006, 10:54 AM
I like the way your subwoofer matches your speakers. Really elegant.

topspeed
11-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Bingo,

Those Orsa's are drop-dead gorgeous! I understand they sound as good as they look as well. Very nice rig.

I'm a big proponent of Skylan as well. RGA, a member here, turned me on to Noel when I needed stands for my VR1's a few years back. What a great guy! Fun accent, eh? :lol: Noel made the base plate larger for more stability around my two rugrats and matched the dimensions of my speakers for the top plate down to the milimeter. I couldn't be more impressed, especially at the price.

Glad to see you're enjoying your rig more and more. That's what it's about!

Bingo
11-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Top Speed: Noel Nolan called me from Calgary about four days after I got my Skylan speaker stands....now that, I think, is an indication that Noel takes great pride in his work. I was able to tell him how pleased I was with my Skylan stands and the precise measurments he used on the top plate....they, as you can see in the picture, fit perfectly. Glad to have that in common with you.

Bingo

JoeE SP9
11-15-2006, 08:26 PM
That's a very nice looking set of speakers you've got there. If they sound half as good as they look they must be something.:cool:

Grandpaw
11-16-2006, 05:13 AM
A little closer look at this speaker. The picture does not do the finish justice. The finish is like looking into a mirror, Jeff

bobsticks
11-16-2006, 05:46 AM
Great looking set-up, Bingo! Very tastefully done.

Bernd
11-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Hi Bingo,

That looks mighty fine. I know your speakers well and am aware what they can do. The heavy stand is a big step in the right direction.
Wishing you many joyful and musical hours ahead.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Jimmy C
11-17-2006, 02:36 PM
:) Previously I asked questions about speaker stands wondering if they were necessary. I had my Orsa monitors on end tables thinking that they were doing all right. But I got some interesting replies, most of which assured me that speaker stands would be the right way to go. After a lot of searching online for what I would consider the best stands for me, I found an online review of Skylan speaker stands made by a fine gentleman named Noel Nolan. That review convinced me that Noel would make my stands. I had been concerned that most of the stands I saw did not have a large enough top plate to secure the Orsas firmly in place. Noel saw to it that the top plate of his stands would be the exact dimensions as the bottom of my monitors. Noel did exactly what he told me he would do. I received my speaker stands last Friday and Grandpaw came right over and assembled them for me (I'm 83 y'know) and loaded the columns with sand as Noel had recommended. The result will be seen in some photos that Grandpaw took of my orsas on Noel's stands - he will make those pictures available in this forum soon...look for them. I think my stands LOOK great and SOUND great. If I were asked to state exactly how my sound was improved I would be hard put to do that, but I can state that overall the stands do make a difference. I would recommend them to anyone with small speakers.

...and I actually like the look of the stands as well, I think they would compliment my blocky Revels. I would move the Premier stands to the bedroom, and find a new stand for my M20s.

How many seashells did they set you back?

Adjustable spikes, I assume?

Thanks...

Bingo
11-18-2006, 04:29 AM
:13: Well - you asked how many 'seashells' for the Skylan Stands. The stands were priced at $227.00 plus $30.00 shipping charges...but when I tried to add the shipping charges online, I ran into problems...so Noel Nolan (Skylan) said "Forget the shipping, we will just let it go at that" ...and so I paid $227.00 for the stands. I had called and talked to Noel before I ordered them, forgetting that a call to Canada cost more than within the US and that call cost me $30.00. But, for my own personal satisfaction, it was worth every penny...for LOOKS and for SOUND...for QUALITY. If you go to Skylan for stands, tell Noel that "Nolan" Sent you...it just happens that my first name is the same as Noel's last name.....but I'm not Irish and he is. Thanks for the compliment to my system. Bear in mind that my stands were 'custom' - they were made to fit my Orsas and provide solid support.

Bingo