I hate doing this, but I obviously didnt hate it enough. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I hate doing this, but I obviously didnt hate it enough.

jrhymeammo
11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Okay, I think this type of question is reasonable.

I'm looking for a pair of 1.5M interconnect for my CD player. I'm currently using Kimber Kable PBJ(bought it used). They are great IC's but to me they produce too much clarity. I wont say bright, but almost there. I'm looking for a pair that are on the warm side. Any suggestions? This may be almost impossible to suggest, but whatever you have found in your system, I'm willing to consider.
I would like to keep it under $200.
I'll appreciate anything I can get.

Here is my setup for this topic.

Triangle Comete ES with Kimber Kable Kwik
Tube Integrated amp
Marantz SA8001

Thank you guys so much.

JRA

Dusty Chalk
11-13-2006, 10:05 PM
I like Straightwire -- I wouldn't exactly call them warm (but then again, I wouldn't call any cables warm), but definitely not edgy either. Pretty straightforward, really.

jrhymeammo
11-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Thank you for your input Dusty. I really appreciate it.

But I ended up moving all of my gears around. Now I can use my Good ol' Alpha Core for my Marantz now. And I ended up using PBJ for my Phono Pre. Actually my overall system sounds just the way I like it now. I wasn't willing to use anything but AlphaCore Silver for my analog system, but turns out it is a better fit for my CDP. My LP sounds incredible with PBJ.
Kinda crazy how everything turned out. But I'll say my time is worth $200 for moving things around for just over an hour.

Thanks again.

-JRA

E-Stat
11-14-2006, 03:49 PM
They are great IC's but to me they produce too much clarity. I wont say bright, but almost there.
That sounds like bright to me. When was the last time you cleaned all of your contacts with something like Caig DeOxit? Oxidation is unavoidable and has an edgy brightening effect. Another possibility is that you are hearing the manifestations of RFI. CD interconnects are bathed in the middle of an RFI cloud produced by the player. HF grunge and IM products are sent downstream where they are happily amplified. While there are many good cables, I use JPS Labs because of their extreme shielding. The wire is encapsulated in a rigid copper tube that when flexed, holds its shape. The sonic result is a darker background, devoid of grunge.

rw

daviethek
11-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Diamonback is sufficiently detailed without being too crisp in the high end. I think they might even be a bit under your price range for a 1.5m pair.

jrhymeammo
11-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your input E-Stat. I've cleaned all of my wires about 2 months ago, and I cleaned them again before changing out all the cables. They havent changed at all. I also use Cardas contact conditioner.
AQ cables should be real cheap right now cuz I think they are coming out with completely different lines of cables. I think I'll pass though. AlphaCore MicroPurls have that sound(I cant explain it). There is no comparision between my old Ymaha CDP and my new Marantz, but by using AC IC, they bother have that AC tonal quality. Very interesting...