Anybody have a HD radio yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a HD radio yet?

Mr Peabody
11-13-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm still in shock that we are being bombarded by HD radio commercials and so little is out to listen to it on. And the fact that no one sits around a table or clock radio to listen to music but that's what is made first. I heard that Cambridge Sound came out with a radio and wondered if it was something different. It seems to be along the same lines as the Boston but I did see an interesting feature, it has an optical digital output. So if we can plug this into our DAC or HT processing, it could make for some interesting fun. I guess maybe these radios are targeting the office.

If anyone has any of the versions, home or car, let me know what you think about it.

Woochifer
11-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Most people don't listen to radio on a home stereo either. The real market for HD Radio is more on the mobility side.

There are also several car audio models already out, and I think ultimately the OEM car audio market is going to make or break HD Radio. And the most highly touted feature of HD Radio will be the multicasting, rather than the audio quality. The broadcasters seem to have more of a vested interested in the multicasting feature, since that effectively increases the potential audience for their stations.

I have a feeling that the purported audio benefits of HD Radio won't mean squat since the stations will probably use the same compressed audio feed that currently goes to the FM transmitter. It might improve upon FM analog, but it will be a far cry from "CD quality" since the feed going to the transmitter is basically no better than an MP3 with an added layer of dynamic range compression. With AM though, the audio quality will probably be a noticeable improvement.

I just read today that Circuit City will begin carrying HD radios, and the number of Radio Shack locations stocking HD radios will increase.

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=50698

hifitommy
11-13-2006, 07:43 PM
an hd radio for the car with the 2.5mm input jack on the front (ipod for the 24yr old, port cassette deck for the 62yr old. also, it must have remote controls that will integrate with my steering-wheel controls on the altima.

my radio station, kkjz.org (88.1 fm in LA, will sound pretty good anywhere (check it out on the net). its the best jazz station ANYWHERE.

Mr Peabody
11-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I have heard that from a dealer who carries the Boston that the audio wasn't all that great. It would be an improvement with car or portable to do away with hiss and other analog interference. I agree that sound quality is probably way down on the stations priority list. If they cared they wouldn't be playing music from compressed computer files and stuck with playing the actual CD. Being able to have a tuner with digital out did peak my interest though.

I personally would like a portable version of something. One maybe I could listen to at work, yet small enough to take with me on the bus. If they come out with a walkman version it will probably have Ipod and a bunch of other stuff in it to drive the price up. I'm barely in the digital world, I don't know the first thing about MP3/Ipod. If I'm going to spend time messing with music, I'd just a soon be between my speakers.