Using classic speakrs in a HT Setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Using classic speakrs in a HT Setup

drichardson
02-09-2004, 07:20 AM
How many of you use classic speakers in a HT setup. I've been in the HT arena since the Yamaha DSP1. I've run all types of speaker systems from Infinity, AR's, Polk, Bose (yuk!!! - my wife didn't even like them), Klipsch, B&W, and VMPS. I've always found one draw back or another. The system that pleased me the most was a Polk SDA-SRS 2.3 system with dual polk S4 as center channels-worked well with music and movies. I had to sell my 2.3's due to family illness. I used some of the newer speakers but they didn't satisfy - either they sound great for HT and did horrible on music or vice versa. I was recently given (in exchange for computer work) a pair of JBL (thats right JBL) 4311b's in excellent condition. For fun, I replaced my current mains with the JBL's and the difference was immediate. The warmth and presence that I use to have came back. I'm thinking of going with dual centers again with a pair of classic JBL bookshelf speakers. My gear includes 3 Yamaha P-Series professional amps for Front,Center, and Rear amplification, DBX BX3 power amp for custom 15inch subs and paradigm x-30 crossover. Citation 7.0 preamp, Pioneer Elite SP-99D for dolby digital, Pioneer DVD, Proxima LCD projector, 100inch Da-lite screen, Def Tech BP-1 for rear (can't go with classics here). I love the sound of the JBL's not to mention the size - much smaller than my usual floorstanders. I'm begining to believe that older speakers sound better - (if kept in excellent condition). You may disagree - thats your choice, I'm just curious and If you are doing this - how did
you solve the center channel question (voice matching)?

Kursun
02-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I use a pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms as surrounds along with a matched set of DIY fronts&center. I agree with your thoughts on older speakers sounding better. In fact I'm sure that older music sounded better too! :)

jimmymagick
02-09-2004, 03:44 PM
I also use a pair of JBL 4311's as my mains and had a problem with finding the proper speaker to use as the center. I'm currently using a JBL 4408A near field monitor and I've been very happy with it. The only problem is that it's not shielded and so I'm using a TV mounting bracket and have the speaker about 10 inches above my TV. No problem with any interference and I don't find it has any effect on the soundstage.

One thing I did just a couple of weeks ago is finally break down and get a subwoofer. I found that the JBL's just couldn't handle those big movie-theater explosions. I now have the front speakers set as "large" but the majority of the bottom is going to the sub.

joel2762
02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
I guess it's like anyone would think! Some old may be better than some new ones. Some new ones might be better than old ones!

drichardson
02-10-2004, 07:47 AM
I use a pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms as surrounds along with a matched set of DIY fronts&center. I agree with your thoughts on older speakers sounding better. In fact I'm sure that older music sounded better too! :)

Do you have pictures. I love DIY projects!

drichardson
02-10-2004, 07:53 AM
I also use a pair of JBL 4311's as my mains and had a problem with finding the proper speaker to use as the center. I'm currently using a JBL 4408A near field monitor and I've been very happy with it. The only problem is that it's not shielded and so I'm using a TV mounting bracket and have the speaker about 10 inches above my TV. No problem with any interference and I don't find it has any effect on the soundstage.

One thing I did just a couple of weeks ago is finally break down and get a subwoofer. I found that the JBL's just couldn't handle those big movie-theater explosions. I now have the front speakers set as "large" but the majority of the bottom is going to the sub.

Yes, you're right about the sub. I have two DIY subs running in stereo, crossed over at about 52 hz. They blend perfectly with the 4311b's. I have the 4311b's on small isolated stands on top of the subs (the subs are also isolated from vibration - cabinates are 1 3/4ths inches thick). With the upside down orientation of the tweeter and midrange of the 4311's this places them at earlevel with my seated position. I can beleive how this sounds! I'm still using a klipsch center channel for now - does a pretty good job - but I want something with a more "lush" sound in the middle.

Worf101
02-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Up until recently my systems were as follows.:

System 1: Main living room HT hookup...

Receiver - Onkyo 898
Mains - Ohm Walsh F's (Ver. 2)
Center - Klipsch KLF-C7
Rears - Ohm Walsh 2's
Sub - Hsu VTF-3
DVD - Denon 3700
CD - Yammie 675
VCR - JVC something or other
Cables - Rat Shack etc...
TV - 13 year old Mitsubishi 35" CRT mankiller

System 2: Bedroom system

Receiver - Onkyo 797
Mains - Platinum Audio PT-801's
Rears - Generic BIC crap
DVD - Yamaha 920
Center - BIC DLR-53
Sub - Hsu VTF-2
TV- Samsung 32" HDTV CRT

As you can see all my mains are vintage or orphan makes. I recently was forced to rotate out my beloved Walsh F's and work in a more visually pleasing slim line in order to keep peace with the woman sharing my domicile. I wasn't happy. I've a lot of old Epicures, Ohm's, Allisons etc... that I work in and out as mains. I think sometimes while not "better" older speakers have more "character" or coloration and as such appeal to some folks more than the current brand of "me too" cookie cutter towers.

Da Worfster :D

Kursun
02-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Do you have pictures. I love DIY projects!Do I have the pictures? Yep!

http://www.geocities.com/rakursun/loudspeaker.html

I decided DIY after I decided that every speaker (and listening room) is a compromise of some sort and try my best effort. For me, each speaker I listen is like a friend. Not one of them is perfect, but different...

My speakers are powered by a Pioneer VSX-D2011 (European version of Pioneer Elite 45TX). I like its transparent-no distorion sound. I also takes care of speaker and room equalisation to some extent thanks to its automatic acoustic calibration eq system.

drichardson
02-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Do I have the pictures? Yep!

I decided DIY after I decided that every speaker (and listening room) is a compromise of some sort and try my best effort. For me, each speaker I listen is like a friend. Not one of them is perfect, but different...

My speakers are powered by a Pioneer VSX-D2011 (European version of Pioneer Elite 45TX). I like its transparent-no distorion sound. I also takes care of speaker and room equalisation to some extent thanks to its automatic acoustic calibration eq system.

Now that's a center channel!!!!! How much would you sell one for?

drichardson
02-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Up until recently my systems were as follows.:

System 1: Main living room HT hookup...

Receiver - Onkyo 898
Mains - Ohm Walsh F's (Ver. 2)
Center - Klipsch KLF-C7
Rears - Ohm Walsh 2's
Sub - Hsu VTF-3
DVD - Denon 3700
CD - Yammie 675
VCR - JVC something or other
Cables - Rat Shack etc...
TV - 13 year old Mitsubishi 35" CRT mankiller

System 2: Bedroom system

Receiver - Onkyo 797
Mains - Platinum Audio PT-801's
Rears - Generic BIC crap
DVD - Yamaha 920
Center - BIC DLR-53
Sub - Hsu VTF-2
TV- Samsung 32" HDTV CRT

As you can see all my mains are vintage or orphan makes. I recently was forced to rotate out my beloved Walsh F's and work in a more visually pleasing slim line in order to keep peace with the woman sharing my domicile. I wasn't happy. I've a lot of old Epicures, Ohm's, Allisons etc... that I work in and out as mains. I think sometimes while not "better" older speakers have more "character" or coloration and as such appeal to some folks more than the current brand of "me too" cookie cutter towers.

Da Worfster :D

You're right about the character or coloration factor. Nothing seems to stand out with the new speakers until you get to the 1000.00 range (with a few exceptions - The paradigm mini monitors are very nice). The walsh's must sound very open. I've never had the opprotunity to hear a pair but I've looked at the design features, seems that they would provide alot of air. If I hear a "new" speaker and I really like it - be sure that I will own it someday but it must pass the dimminishing returns test first. I've gone to music "salons" and listened to high dollar speakers just to say that I've heard it before. This is a hobby for me and my sons. Sometimes we'll just take a trip to listen to speakers we can't afford -yet! One of the best I've heard was the B&W Nautilus 802 powered by Rotel monoblocks.
Real nice.

Worf101
02-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Do I have the pictures? Yep!

As a norrmally jaded individual about some things audio I must say I'm quite impressed. Kudos my friend and keep on building em.

Da Worfster