FINALLY..my basement HT is starting [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY..my basement HT is starting

Tarheel_
02-09-2004, 07:18 AM
well, i've been on this site for years and since 2001 our new basement has been unused and its prefect for an HT (14x24x9). So, we are about to order the material and i'm starting to think about component placement, 5.1 or 7.1, etc...you know all the cool stuff. Well i have a few questions. Please throw in your opinions.

I decided to place the components toward the rear side wall so from there its about 30' to the rear projection TV. I'm using a HK receiver to control everything and only need to run 1 set of component video cables and 1 S-video cable to TV.

At this distance will my signal degrade? Will there be a slight delay with the video since the audio is only a 3' cable? Will there be interference if running these with speaker wires? Anything else to consider?

There are some inexpensive cables on ebay, anyone have experience with them?

I also need a univeral remote with IR capabilities but do not want to spend a fortune, can someone recommend one?

i'm sure many more questions will follow. and oh, i'm currently planning a 7.1 setup for fun. More speakers the better. Once i'm ready i'll post pictures of the whole process.

snodog
02-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Tarheel, check out this site for cables and wire. I think you'll find it a good resource. I bought some component video cables from them and they are awesome at half the price of monsters! Also, they answer your questions on the phone. the site is www.ramelectronics.com Check it out.

etude
02-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Tarheel,

FWIW, apparently if you have to cross cables, run them at right angles, I'm told that reduces interference.

Will there be a slight delay with the video since the audio is only a 3' cable? Will there be interference if running these with speaker wires? Anything else to consider?

There are some inexpensive cables on ebay, anyone have experience with them?

I also need a univeral remote with IR capabilities but do not want to spend a fortune, can someone recommend one?

i'm sure many more questions will follow. and oh, i'm currently planning a 7.1 setup for fun. More speakers the better. Once i'm ready i'll post pictures of the whole process.

Where you use speaker cable, it's a good idea to buy a roll, much cheaper. Don't stress about speaker cable. I find that rolls of automotive cable is the best value. It is the same stuff really, but for some reason it is better value for money. Do your homework and I'd say don't use speaker cable as interconnects. With interconnects, shielding is important. In fact probably the most important thing, most of the things that people stress about with them is probably not audible.

What type of surround speakers are you considering? I'd be looking at side mounted dipoles and rear mounted bipoles.

Tarheel_
02-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Actually, i'm planning on using monopoles all around. I listen to dvd-a and sacd and prefer the directional sound. For DTS/DD i haven't experiemented with bi/di poles, but enjoy my current setup. Once i get the room finished and paid for, i may do some experimenting. Peace.

etude
02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Tarheel,

A bipole/dipole design gives you the flexibility to control localisation and ambience. The same speaker can be wired to work as a bipole (both in phase) which is directional but increases the reflected sound. The dipole (wired out of phase) is the one that can't be localised. Bipoles are rear mounted, dipoles are side mounted. The ideal, however, IMO is to have both. Here is an example of such a speaker:

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/index.php?page=baseline&kitid=D4

You can later add another identical surround speaker and put them back to back and set them up as dipole. But I think a 140 degree trapezoid design is better, and if you are going to do that why not start that way. You don't have to give up localisation effects.