New Christmas CDs, the good and the bad [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Christmas CDs, the good and the bad

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2006, 06:32 AM
That's right...tis the season.

I love Christmas music. Every year I try to pick up at least one new Christmas CD. This year, so far, I've bought two. Both are 2006 releases. One is very good, the other no so good. Let's begin with the not so good....

Sarah McLaughlin - Wintersong - Booooooooooring. Not even Sarah's beautiful voice could save this one. This disk is about as slow and boring as you can get. I don't mind music that's soft and low key. It's nice to put on some easy listening to relax to or as background music when you have guests over. But really, this one would just put your guests to sleep. If you're too excited to sleep on Christmas Eve, this CD is the cure.

Now, on the flipside...

Kim Stockwood - I Love Santa - I don't expect anyone outside of Canada to know who Kim Stockwood is. In fact, most people in Canada don't know who Kim Stockwood is. Kim hails from Newfoundland. She put out a couple of solo CDs in the late '90's, before joining up with two other Canadian songstresses to form the group Shaye. She's now put out a solo Christmas CD which is, IMO, one of the best new Xmas CDs that I've heard in many years. Kim has a fantastic voice and a great sense of humour, which often comes out in her singing. I Love Santa is a fun, campy, CD that really sets off Christmas on an upbeat tone. There are a couple of original tunes on this and a few old standards, but even many of the old stardards have new arrangements to freshen them up. If you haven't heard of Kim Stockwood, she's worth checking out and I Love Santa is a good place to start.

Snowbunny
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
That's right...tis the season.

Sarah McLaughlin - Wintersong - Booooooooooring. Not even Sarah's beautiful voice could save this one. This disk is about as slow and boring as you can get. I don't mind music that's soft and low key. It's nice to put on some easy listening to relax to or as background music when you have guests over. But really, this one would just put your guests to sleep. If you're too excited to sleep on Christmas Eve, this CD is the cure.

Oh, too bad! I was just going to say that I love the new single of Sarah's.

River

It’s coming on Christmas
They’re cutting down trees
They’re putting up reindeer singing songs of joy and peace

Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

But it don’t snow here
It stays pretty green
I’m going to make a lot of money
And then I’m going to quit this crazy scene

Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
Teach my feet to fly high

Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

I made my baby cry
I tried hard to help me
No it wouldn’t be at ease

But it left me so naughty made me weak in the knees

Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

But I’m so hard to handle
I’m selfish and I’m sad
Now I gone and lost the best baby that I’ve ever had

Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

Oh I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly highhh
Oh I wish I had a river
That I could skate away on

I made my baby say goodbye
It’s coming on Christmas
They’re cutting down trees
They’re putting up reindeer singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

We do have different taste in music, FA. Do you think the rest of the songs sound like River?

Is there another Siberian Orchestra out this year?

Snowie

Mr Peabody
11-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Don't put your money away yet, I heard Billy Idol has a Christmas album coming out!

Dusty Chalk
11-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Funnily enough, I just heard two versions of "River" -- hers and Madeline Peyroux's. I liked the rest of Madeline Peyroux's album, but Sara really made that song sound like an original. It's got that Sara McLachlin/Peter Gabriel "dusk-ness" to it.

Jim Clark
11-13-2006, 04:42 AM
and lest we forget, Sufjan Stevens has a collection of Christmas EPs due out very soon.

jc

ForeverAutumn
11-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Oh, too bad! I was just going to say that I love the new single of Sarah's.

River...

We do have different taste in music, FA. Do you think the rest of the songs sound like River?

Is there another Siberian Orchestra out this year?

Snowie

It's not that her CD is musically bad Snowy. It's more about the mood than the music itself. I just thought that it was very boring. I prefer my Christmas music to be festive and fun. I want music that's uplifting...something that this disk is not.

But, you're right, we do have different taste in music, and you seem to appreciate the mellower side of music more than I do. So, you may really enjoy this disk.

Duds
11-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Twisted Sister has one out too!!!

Don't put your money away yet, I heard Billy Idol has a Christmas album coming out!

Dusty Chalk
11-13-2006, 08:19 AM
My favourite Xmas disk:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000034DII.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ForeverAutumn
11-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Ah, nothing says Christmas like talking poo.