Pansonic and Pioneer Blu-Ray players in store [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pansonic and Pioneer Blu-Ray players in store

kelsci
11-11-2006, 11:09 PM
On Friday night I was able to see both of these players operating. The Pioneer was hooked up to a Pioneer Elite plazma set witht he audio hooke up to a Denon 38006 receiver. A BD demo disc was operating. Well, it played but I was not wowed over what I saw. I do not know what kind of sound was being delivered to the Denon, however some of the demos had awsome surround sound.

In the same store, a Panasonic BD player was hooked up to a Sony Braveria set. They had a demo of what appeared to be high def. video. It looked quite good to my eyes with excellent color quality.

I was in Circuit City the night before. A Samsung BD player was hooked up to a 1080P Mitsubishi set and a avr-987 Denon receiver. The player had CARS playing on it and was being upconverted to 1080I. The picture looked quite good with excellent color quality. Sound quality was quite good too. Excellent surround quality was apparent from the Denon receiver over the Kef 3005 speaker system that was attached to the receiver.

Without having this equipment in my own home and being more familiar with it, I can only comment on what I see at the instant. I do not have the loot to buy this stuff anyway. The things that stood out on my observation was the Panasonic BD player and the Denon 3806 receiver.

elapsed
11-11-2006, 11:32 PM
For the price of the new Panasonic BD Player, I could purchase both the Denon DVD Player and the Toshiba HD-A1. Who on earth would purchase the Pioneer or the Panny at those ridiculous prices?

Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Blu-Ray Player: $1,500
Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray Player: $1,300
Denon DVD-2930CI DVD Player: $850
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD Player: $400

Can't wait for Denon to release an HD DVD Player. D&M Holdings is a member of the HD DVD Promotion Group, so it should only be a matter of time?

Denon DVD-2930CI review (for those who want to wait out the format wars): http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/08/denon_dvd2930ci.html

kelsci
11-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi Elapsed; I only pointed out my observations. What you say about the prices ot getting two for the price of one are true. I am a subscriber to hometheaterblog and did read the report on the Denon which was quite favorable however my memory these days cannot seem to remember what the features of that unit or that matter the features of just about anything I read about. What I have not seen yet is a good demo of a hd-dvd machine. One good thing is that the new models are looking very fashionable from both sides, but in the longrun quoting from HIGHLANDER, "there can be only one".