Planning Home Theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Planning Home Theater

Mr_W1z4rd_
11-11-2006, 01:36 AM
I am in the Army and half way through a deployment so I am going to have a good chunk of change to lay down on a system. Here is what I am looking at so far -

Sharp AQUOS LC-42D62U 42" 1080p High Definition LCD Television
Onkyo TX-SR604 Home Theater Receiver
Samsung BD-P1000 High Definition Blu-Ray DVD Player
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player Single Disc High Definition DVD
Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Learning Remote

I am pretty set on the TV and the Reveiver but for the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players as when the deployment is over I will get whatever is new, or only one if there is a proclaimed winner of "the war" - I also plan on getting either a XBOX360 or PS3... probably both.

I am not really sure what route to take with the speakers. I want to go 5.1 as I think that is what will fit best for the room I am going to be setting it all up in. I have been eye-balling the Klipsch RF-52 or possibly the RF-62 Home Theater systems. I am very open to suggestions on the speakers though.

I definatly want a universal remote that will handle all of the devices because I do not want different ones for all of them. If you have a recommendation on that other than the logitech that would be great too. Something very user friendly would be best.

The total for everything listed is a little over $4,000 and if I end up going with either of the Klipsch systems it will put it at about $6,000 - $7,000 (I am estimating for wiring and whatnot) My father and I will be doing the installation ourselves for the most part, might hire and extra hand to get it up quicker.

So anyways, tell me what you think. Like I said I still have about 5 months to plan this out and am very open to recommendations.

Mr_W1z4rd_
11-11-2006, 09:26 AM
No replies.... Anyone feel like chiming in? Is there a more popular forum that I should be posting on?

elapsed
11-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Sharp AQUOS LC-42D62U 42" 1080p High Definition LCD Television
Excellent choice for TV (I own a Sharp D90 Series), also be sure to audition the new Sony Bravia XBR2 Series

Onkyo TX-SR604 Home Theater Receiver
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Onkyo receivers, be sure to audition the Denon AVR-2307CI and Yamaha RX-V1600.

Samsung BD-P1000 High Definition Blu-Ray DVD Player
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player Single Disc High Definition DVD
I would definately consider the new HD-A2 (only $500), and avoid the BD Player until the format war is over. So far HD DVD is well ahead in the battle, and offering more value for less money. The current HD-A1 is simply an excellent player in any case.

Logitech Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Learning Remote
I have an 880, can't say enough good things about this model.

Also be sure to budget for:

- Surge Protector or Power Conditionner (I recommend APC and TrippLite products)
- HDMI, Component, Digital Coax and Optical Audio cables (I purchase from Monoprice)
- Speaker cabling and subwoofer cabling
- TV Calibration DVD (I recommend AVIA or DVE)
- Speaker Stands (your call)
- Wall mount bracket for your TV, or a TV stand (your call)

For your speakers, audition as many speakers as possible from brands such as Paradigm, PSB, B&W, Monitor Audio, etc. What are the dimensions of your room? What music do you listen to?

For instance, you may wish to audition the Paradigm Monitor Series, such as:

Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7
Center: Paradigm Monitor CC-370
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor ADP-370

For subwoofer I would recommend purchasing from SVS, such as the PB12–Plus or 20-39PC-Plus. HSU Research also make excellent subwoofers.

paul_pci
11-11-2006, 12:49 PM
You'll want to do your best to put a lot of research into the speakers you buys, as they will have the most dramatic impact on the sound you enjoy, or don't enjoy. Do you have an exact budget, minus the other components, for the speakers? With an exact budget, we can be more helpful. Also, not sure when you're deployment will be up, but considering that tv technology is quickly changing, prices are constantly fluctuating, is it wise to settle on an exact model right now?

Mr_W1z4rd_
11-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Elapsed, Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking at the Sony KDL40V2500 40" BRAVIA 1080p LCD HDTV, Not the XBR as because it the same size except the speakers are on the bottom, which I like the looks of better, and it is also about $900 less.

I am looking at the other receivers recommended and just other ones in its own but I really like the looks of the Onkyo and the specs are just as good as any of the other ones I was looking at, I suppose the specs don't count for how it actually sounds in person though either.

Unless there is a major change in either the HD and BR I will probably just hold off until we are all sure about one or the other. From what I have been reading though if I did get one I would get the HD-DVD player, I am more than likely going to pick up both gaming systems so I will have the PS3 for trying out blu-ray movies.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the room but if I had to guess I would say about 12 wide x 24 or so long. It has a large opening (no door) into the formal dining room and then the same size opening into the kitchen. The room also has 2 very large set of windows on the side wall and on the rear wall. The windows need to be replaced and I am going to try to look into double pane or sound proof windows to help keep the sound in a bit better.

As far as stands go I am going to design my own with my Uncle who is a carpenter specializing in cabinetry. I worked for him for quite awhile and he builds some very high quality beautiful pieces, I wouldn't go any other route.

I did a test-drive on the Harmony 880 at the Logitech Website to see how you set it up and it was pretty simple. I will probably go with this.

I will continue to research on speaker systems. My reasoning, or rationalization for wanting to know with one of the Klipsch systems is because I would just buy it as a set and then not have to worry about it. I have a really big problem with needing instant gratification but I am going to try and work around. Especially for this much money and for something that I really want and hope lasts me a really long time.

Paul - When I said I was settled and the TV and such I just meant that I like how it looks and am going to go with that type, the LCD with the 1080p capability, as you can see I have already changed my mind and because I am not actually going to be buying anything until I get home it will probably change many more times.

Thanks for the replies though guys. I hope to get a lot more feedback on this.

Mr_W1z4rd_
11-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Forgot to add -

I listen to alot of everything, it all depends on my mood. I will go from Country, to 70s rock, to hip-hop or even to rap sometimes and some rock and roll or heavy metal death bands. Like I said, alot of everything.

I want to be able to have to some good music quality but I am focused much more on the movie aspect of things.

The highest I am willing to go for everything is $10,000 the more I save the better though.

Mr_W1z4rd_
11-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Here is what I am looking at right now -

Sony BRAVIA XBR 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Pioneer Elite 910W 7.1-Ch THX Select2
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player
PlayStation 3 - as BR player (games too of course)

For speakers I am looking at Paradigm and some others along with Klipsch still but am starting to lean twoards Paradigm from all of the good reviews I have been reading.

Front - Monitor 7 (or 9)
Center - CC-370
Surround - ADP-370
Subwoofer - Paradigm UltraCube 12

Right now I am running about $5,600 w/o the speakers or any wiring. I cant find any solid price on the paradigms - if someone could point me in the right direction, or even an online dealer, that would be great.

elapsed
11-12-2006, 09:51 AM
TV: Personally I still prefer the Sharp LC-42D62U, which is also bigger than the Sony XBR2 and can be found for cheaper, but you simply cannot go wrong with either the Sharp D62 or the Sony XBR2

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS, for the same price you may be able to find a Denon AVR-2807

Subwoofer: The Paradigm UltraCube 12 doesn't offer good value for the money. If you are looking for a small sub, the SVS SB12-Plus would be my first pick. If you have the space I would recommend the SVS PB12–Plus or 20-39PC-Plus.

The only Paradigm subwoofer I would consider is the Servo-15, which is an absolute monster (and about 3x the size of the UltraCube). But this is true overkill for your system.

Mr_W1z4rd_
11-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Any reference for me on where to check the price of the paradigm speakers or an online dealer?

The main point of the Sony over the Sharp is the style. I just like the looks of it better.

elapsed
11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Well you're on Audioreview ;)

Paradigm Monitor 7: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_120351_1594crx.aspx
Paradigm CC-370: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125317_2743crx.aspx
Paradigm ADP-370: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125318_2742crx.aspx

Also be sure to audition Paradigm Studio Series, though this may exceed your budget.

jrhymeammo
11-12-2006, 01:43 PM
IF you want Monster BASS for movies, then how about this one. Shipping is free. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-764

Read reviews on this site. It should be under Dayton subwoofer. Subwoofer is something you dont have to really match with your speakers. How you blend it in by postioning and EQ is alot more important than matching the same Brand names. That'll blow your roof off for sure. I cannot comment on how they would sound on music thogh. If you are concerned about music, then I may suggest you to get a RCA splitter and build 2 of the 10" or 12". What you are going thru right now sounds fun. Have fun researching, and when you become frustrated do not hesitate to ask around here. We have alot of HT Nuts.

-JRA

Mr_W1z4rd_
11-12-2006, 09:15 PM
I am actually thinking about going a different route right now.

The entire upstairs of my house needs to be redone and I had a dream last night about how perfect it would be to have it redone with extra dense insulation and have all the wire ran through the walls for that super clean look.

The upstairs is combined into three portions, the main stretch that has a break into it with a separate room (my old bedroom) and then a crawl space on both sides of the stretch. throughout the main stretch the side walls are about 4' high and then they go up at an angle and then the top is flat about a foot and a half for the top.

The bedroom isn't very big but the dream I had was so vivid I know exactly how to set it up. Upon entering the bedroom the right wall is straight all the way down to the end of the house, but on the left side there is a small closet which is where I would have all of my components racked and wired into, then I would have a bookshelf/dvd stand on the opposite side of the closet - that way that stuff wouldn't take up any space and would provide more room for furniture.

On the left side the closet comes out of the wall because of the angle so it creates a type of nook - not positive on the dimensions but I have a queen size bed in this nook so its not all that small. It would be perfect for a lower TV stand, built in my uncles shop of course, with the TV on top and then two shelves for the center speaker and two gaming systems (everything else is going to be in the closet) and then the two front speakers on both sides.

This is a much more long term route which I am fine with because the house needs some renovation but it is the home I grew up in and I want to raise my children in. My father turned the television off when I was in first grade but we ended up watching A LOT of movies so it had become a form of bonding with him. Hence part of my passion for the HT.

The rest of the main-stretch outside of the bedroom would then be set up as a PC Area and an office area - which is currently in the basement (originally was planing on redoing the HT that is on the ground floor living area) but it makes no sense to have that as a office in my opinion as it has a separate shower room and separate bathroom with alot of closet space. I would then turn that into the master bedroom, all that needs to be done down there is to put a new ceiling on and carpet and a fresh coat of paint.

All of this will also allow more time for newer technology to be released and let me get a system that wont be outdated as soon.

Sorry for the long posts - As you can tell I have a lot of spare time on my hands which accounts for my over-active imagination. This is one delusion of grandeur that I intend to pursue.