(Denon) Receiver Input Questions for CD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : (Denon) Receiver Input Questions for CD player

EdwardGein
11-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Would appreciate if someone could give me an answer here, as I'm still experimenting with analog connections for my CD player but somehow it still sounds superior when I use Optic Cable. Specifically, if I use analog cables from a CD player, will I get the exact same sound (assuming all settings/levels are the same) no matter what I input on my receiver I connect them too? IE, if I connect the analog cables to say tape input or VCR input, will they sound exactly the same as if the analog cables were plugged into the receivers CD input? Or can the inputs have difference loudness outputs, etc? I have a Denon 3801 receiver, but I'm assuming the answers to this question are applicable to any receiver. The reason I'm asking this question is its easier for me to compare audio sound if I have an optic cable from my CD player going into my receivers CD input & analog cables from the same CD player going into any other input of the receiver. I just want to make sure that the analog inputs I'm using aren't causing the significant difference in sound. Your answers appreciated.

Smokey
11-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Specifically, if I use analog cables from a CD player, will I get the exact same sound (assuming all settings/levels are the same) no matter what I input on my receiver I connect them too? IE, if I connect the analog cables to say tape input or VCR input, will they sound exactly the same as if the analog cables were plugged into the receivers CD input?

All of audio RCA inputs on the receiver have same exact electronic specifications. So you can use them exchangeably. The only input that is different would be Phono input.

EdwardGein
11-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks for info

Smokey
11-13-2006, 08:59 PM
You welcome Ed

It might also be worth mentioning that when optical cable is used, it is Receiver’s DAC you are hearing. And when using analog output from CD player, it is CD player’s DAC.

So any sound differences you will hear, is the difference between how each DAC is processing the digital stream :)

shokhead
11-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Would appreciate if someone could give me an answer here, as I'm still experimenting with analog connections for my CD player but somehow it still sounds superior when I use Optic Cable. Specifically, if I use analog cables from a CD player, will I get the exact same sound (assuming all settings/levels are the same) no matter what I input on my receiver I connect them too? IE, if I connect the analog cables to say tape input or VCR input, will they sound exactly the same as if the analog cables were plugged into the receivers CD input? Or can the inputs have difference loudness outputs, etc? I have a Denon 3801 receiver, but I'm assuming the answers to this question are applicable to any receiver. The reason I'm asking this question is its easier for me to compare audio sound if I have an optic cable from my CD player going into my receivers CD input & analog cables from the same CD player going into any other input of the receiver. I just want to make sure that the analog inputs I'm using aren't causing the significant difference in sound. Your answers appreciated.

I bet the optic cable sounds better because the BM is better in the receiver or setup different.